Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon f 1.4 and f1.8 Whats the difference,,

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ridgeway
    Ridgeway  7222 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:07 PM

I've been ;ooking at these on line and wondered what the difference was,,

Speed ?

Thanks,,Aidan,,

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:17 PM

One's a larger aperture, it's f1.4 - the other is smaller at f1.8.

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:20 PM

Not a lot - in real terms.

Certainly when looking at the Nikkor specs for the 50mm versions, the f1.8 has the better performance at the edges when wide open and the overall performance is as good as the f1.4 - but costs considerably less than the f1.4.

thewilliam
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:25 PM

There's also a huge difference in price and in the case of the 85mm, the f1.4 is a lot heavier.

Some folks simply must have the greatest kit and so wouldn't be seen dead using the f1.8. Some even choose Canon so that they can go one step further and have the f1.2, paying a small fortune for the extra half-stop.

Few snappers actually need their lenses to have very wide aperture. Anyone who's thinking of an upgrade should look at the EXIF data for their pix and count up the occasions that their present lens has been used wide open.

Some photographers can benefit from the really wide lenses just as some cyclists really do need to spend 5 or 6 figures on their bikes. But this is when they want Gold rather than Silver!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 13 Nov 2011 - 5:29 PM
    bfgstew
    bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:26 PM

I have just bought the f1.8G and it is superb, lightning fast, sharp and gives superb OOF background, all for a shade over 200 quid a worthwhile investment.

Ridgeway
    13 Nov 2011 - 5:30 PM

Gentle men thanks very much for your informed feed back.I have just borrowed the 1;8 D,I'll have a play tomorrow,,

Aidan,,

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 6:35 PM

Enjoy!

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 8:22 PM

I have the 50mm f/1.8D and it is, without any doubt whatsoever, the sharpest lens in my bag. But you really only see the difference on HUGE enlargements.

With my FM2N I used the 50mm f/1.4 AIS non-AF lens which was also razor sharp and I used it on the digital bodies if I REALLY needed the extra stop of speed. But as the high-ISO performance of Nikon's dSLRs improved, the need for that extra stop became less and less.

You will still get the f/1.8D for well under 100 and it has the advantage of retaining an aperture ring which the new G version lacks (handy, for example, if you are using a reversing ring for macro). The AF may be a smidgeon slower than the G but, unless that is a real issue, save yourself a 100 with the D compared to the G or 200+ compared to an f/1.4.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Nov 2011 - 8:23 PM
    StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014390 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2011 - 9:05 PM

I would add that if bokeh is high on your priority list, it might be worth checking that out. With Canon, that is the big difference between the 2 comparable lenses, imo.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2011 - 9:06 PM

You'll find the incidence in technical problems increases quite sharply between a 50mm f/1.8 and an f/1.4 lens, which is worth considering before purchase.

Factors such as focusing screen accuracy, your camera's focusing accuracy, focus shift, and longitudinal chromatic aberration come into play - the latter being extremely difficult to correct compared to the lateral chromatic aberration that most of us are used to.

I have a Sigma 50mm f/1.4, with which I have a love/hate relationship. It's capable of stunning quality, but occasionally I've been tripped up by it and ended up with totally unusable results.

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 9:18 PM

Quote: You'll find the incidence in technical problems increases quite sharply between a 50mm f/1.8 and an f/1.4 lens, which is worth considering before purchase.

then...

Quote: I have a Sigma 50mm f/1.4, with which I have a love/hate relationship. It's capable of stunning quality, but occasionally I've been tripped up by it and ended up with totally unusable results.

Lot of 'credence' there then Aiden! ...

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Nov 2011 - 9:22 PM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    13 Nov 2011 - 9:41 PM

As a guide with 50mm lenses an f1.8 is best at minimum focus, and an f1.4 has a wider aperture.
    With Nikon the 50mm f1.4 D also has better build quality than the 50mm f1.8 D.
    At longer focus distances between about f4 and f16 optical quality is so close as to be considered equal.

Ridgeway
    13 Nov 2011 - 9:43 PM

Some of the above mentioned problems I wont even cop on to untill someone says,,,see what happened there,,thats because of,,,,,then I'll go thought as much,,haha,,

Thanks again,,I'll post one or two so you can point it all out to me,,Tongue

Aidan,,

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2011 - 9:56 PM

Quote: Lot of 'credence' there then Aiden! ...

Do you mean to discredit me, Mike? Wink

I tend to only learn by my mistakes, which are numerous.

The Sigma is well-liked for its smooth rendering of defocused backgrounds, which is a look either loved or hated, but it was my primary reason for buying the lens. Certainly the results are very different to my f/1.8, which I nevertheless still use and hold in high regard.

User_Removed
    13 Nov 2011 - 10:11 PM

Nah!

Grin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.