Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon 1 or ....... ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 8:12 PM

So, I rather fancy getting myself a Nikon J1 as having had a brief go of one I really liked it.

But it's got me wondering, should I get a micro 4/3rds camera instead? Would that give me access to more lenses?
If I should look at the 4/3rds jobbies - any recommendations for around 400 - 450 ?

All advice gratefully received as I am a bit lost with these camera thingies!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 May 2012 - 8:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
9 May 2012 - 8:31 PM

Read a few test reports and handled both models...they strike me more as a gadget that takes pictures and im certain most of the new breed interchangeable lens compacts and 4/3rds cameras will out perform them in image quality.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 8:50 PM

The same dilemma I had, Chris.
Nikon 1 series AF seems pretty good, and maybe good for you and Charlie. But it has its shortfalls too.
Steve Huff did some comparisons on his website. And he liked Nikon 1 as far as I remember.
Lens choice wise, might not be as wide as M43.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73885 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 8:54 PM

Thought you won a micro 4/3 Cole Wink or can't you resist the move to Nikon? ( only joking)

Tho as for lens choice, I believe with (an expensive) adapter any Nikon lens can be used. Although the 2x factor makes it been limited at the wide angle end

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

As a Canonista using Nikon lenses isn't an advantage for me - I'm really looking for something to replace my Canon G9. Something with good high ISO performance would be an advantage I think.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: Although the 2x factor makes it been limited at the wide angle end

The Nikon system has a 2.7 crop factor, M4/3 has a crop factor or 2.

Quote: I'm really looking for something to replace my Canon G9. Something with good high ISO performance would be an advantage I think

So what are you looking for, something with a fixed lens or something from the CSC range.

Quote: any recommendations for around 400 - 450 ?

I`d be looking at the Pens, the Panasonic`s and Sony Nex.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Here's
an example from this side of the pond Chris. It may be a little high, but the PL2 has a much better LCD monitor and other features than the earlier Pens, plus you get 28mm to 300mm, and the lenses are pretty good. Take a look at their other deals also.

Cheers,
Denny

Last Modified By StrayCat at 9 May 2012 - 11:02 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

Or this for a few dollars more.

StrayCat
9 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Good prices Paul.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315463 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

I prefer Amazon or Amazon Market Place to Ebay Smile

That EMP1 looks a good deal.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 9 May 2012 - 11:38 PM
Metalhead
Metalhead  71876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Some of the Panasonics have got cashback offers at the moment. They haven't any left now but a few weeks back SRS Microsystems were selling the GF3 with the 14mm prime lens for 249! Minus cashback, that was a great deal for 199 when that lens sells alone for not much less! Kicking myself for not buying it now as an introduction to m4/3 cameras! But maybe other deals are still around. The GX1 can be bought for 459 with the standard 14-42mm lens (not the tiny power zoom).

ChrisV
ChrisV  7800 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

I was contemplating buying a GX1 as a portable alternative/backup to my Canon kit. In the end I went for a G3 - same sensor, similar interface, but with an EVF and a flip-out LCD.

It may not match my 5DII (or even 550D) in terms of absolute image quality and low light performance, but it's not at all bad and particularly with the 20mm pancake attached it's a very small, light package with a very acceptable level of compromise.

I'm happy - I think I'd be frustrated with the lack of control with the Nikon 1s and the system has come in for a lot of stick for defaulting to slow shutter speeds, which hobble the advantage of its fast shooting speed and make it pretty useless for the 'hockey mom' market it's supposedly pitched at. I think it's a shame - I wanted to like the Nikons...

Paul Morgan
10 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

There`s a 75 cash back deal on Olympus purchases when buying a body/lens combination.

https://olympuspen-lensesandaccessories.sales-promotions.com/customer-apply-for-...

Makes That EMP1 deal even more atracive Smile

lobsterboy
10 May 2012 - 9:52 AM

Thanks everyone - lots of useful info to look at there.
Like the look of the Olympus Pens Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.