Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon 1 System

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul_Anthony
19 Oct 2012 - 2:39 PM

I am looking to get myself a tidy compact size camera for use on holidays, family days out etc. (I don't really want to lug all of my professional DSLR kit around with me, even one body and lens can be a bit too much on occasions).

I would love the Olympus OMD but I am not sure if I justify the 1149 price tag for the body and 12-50 lens. Has anyone any experience of using the Nikon 1 system? Is it any good?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Oct 2012 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9347 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
19 Oct 2012 - 3:29 PM

Nikon V1 is very good but, imo, not quite as good as a good medium/high-end DSLR. I saw comparisons of its image quality against a Canon 5DMkII and, although very acceptable results were obtained, its smaller sensor still has more noise and less detail capture than the full-frame 5DMkII. Perhaps not a fair comparison and against similar mirrorless cameras i reckon it would fare far better. Don't expect miracles from it though.

Paul_Anthony
19 Oct 2012 - 3:34 PM

Cheers, I am just looking for a good quality compact size camera really, the interchangeable lenses and additional features from System Cameras should give me a little more user control. I hope...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 3:37 PM

You may want to consider getting one of the latest large-sensor advanced compacts, if you are just seeking to supplement your DSLR. Have you considered the possibilty? Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 4:15 PM

How about the Olympus XZ-2, same tilting OLED touch screen as the OMD, same processing engine, and uses pretty much the same accessories, flash units, EVF`s and the like.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/digital_cameras/creator/xz_2/index.ht...

Quote: I would love the Olympus OMD but I am not sure if I justify the 1149 price tag for the body and 12-50 lens

As of the 15th you can claim a free second lens, the 45mm, not a bad offer, I paid nearly 280 for mine Smile

There`s another user review up now Smile

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-2-month-user-review-20379

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 19 Oct 2012 - 4:22 PM
paulcookphotography

I just won a Nikon 1 J2 and have to say it is a very tidy camera.

Results are great at normal ISO, although it does suffer (understandably) at higher ISO settings. I am used to using a D3 and D700/300/200 with grip, but even with such a small body its quite comfortable to hold and use. Even using live-view, which i have never done befe is pretty easy to get to grips with.

It wont replace my DSLRs, but is perfect as a carry around and as a back up

Paul_Anthony
19 Oct 2012 - 7:29 PM

Cheers guys, I will check out the other Olympus cameras, although I am finding it hard to resist the OMD.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 8:11 PM

Quote: I am finding it hard to resist the OMD.

Ah............should point out a bit of a snag there. Your DSLR may end up gathering dust - and you might end up selling the kit! (As some on here have done.)

Don't say we didn't warn you. Lol! Wink

If you plan on keeping your DSLR, you could always order an advanced compact from a retailer which allows a 30-day return period. That may be long enough for you to see whether it meets your needs. Smile

Paul_Anthony
19 Oct 2012 - 8:18 PM

The OMD would have to be pretty special for me to ditch my Nikons, they would have to cut the mustard in the studio and at 25 weddings a year.

Really just after a great quality compact with interchangeable lenses to use on holidays and family events, want it to allow a bit of creative license for me and also be fool proof enough for the rest of the family to use.

Carabosse
19 Oct 2012 - 8:31 PM

Quote: The OMD would have to be pretty special for me to ditch my Nikons

I'm sure it would. It's been called a 'crazy comparison'. Lol! Wink and this pro seems to love it, especially for studio work.

But yes, I can see turning up at a wedding with something smaller than the guests' DSLRs could be an issue: perhaps the world isn't ready for that yet! Grin

Have you read reviews of the Nikon 1-series? An alternative might be to get something like the new Olympus E-PM2 (which has the same sensor as the OM-D) but is more compact.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 19 Oct 2012 - 8:31 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2012 - 8:32 PM

Quote: The OMD would have to be pretty special for me to ditch my Nikons, they would have to cut the mustard in the studio and at 25 weddings a year

It does, as plenty of us are finding out Smile

http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/

Paul Morgan
19 Oct 2012 - 9:01 PM

There`s no CLS support with the Nikon 1, limits the system a bit.

Paul_Anthony
20 Oct 2012 - 8:22 AM

Yeah, I have read Damian's Journal / Blog entries r.e. the OMD.

The E-PM2 looks good CB, decent price & features. The 12-50mm lens would be a great partner for it too.

Guess I was looking at the Nikon System because I have owned mostly Nikon DSLR. I did start out down the Olympus route many years ago with the E1 & E500 DSLR's but soon changed to Nikon when my hobby became a job, mainly due to the range of lenses available back then and the build quality, although saying that the E1 was one seriously well made piece of kit, just lacked in the resolution department.

I suppose it is finding the right balance between Quality, Budget and Practicality. There are so many good Compact System cameras out there. Cheers for the advice and comments guys, will do some more review reading.

Paul

Steppenwolf
20 Oct 2012 - 8:39 AM

The interesting thing about the Nikon 1 series was the hybrid focus system (with phase detection embedded in the sensor) which cured the main focus problem of the CSC cameras - the inability to track a moving subject. I see that Sony have put this in their new NEX-6 (and also in their new A99 which has a separate PD AF sensor as well as focus embedded in the sensor). It's fairly obvious IMO that - probably very quickly - this hybrid focusing will be added to all CSCs, so it might be worth holding off buying for a month or so. There may be some bargains around when the new models come out.

Paul Morgan
20 Oct 2012 - 4:26 PM

Quote: The E-PM2 looks good CB, decent price & features. The 12-50mm lens would be a great partner for it too

Even the EPM1 kit is pretty good, Jessops are still doing the twin lens kit for about 280, a bargain and cheaper than a lot of high end compacts.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/olympus/pen-e-pm1-twin-z...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 20 Oct 2012 - 4:28 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.