Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon 18-55mm lens not auto focusing

24 Apr 2010 7:22PM
I have a nikon d40 plus standard 18-55mm lens about 2 years 6 months old.The lens has been playing up and today it decided to pack up,it will not focus and can not hear the motor working,put my 55-200mm lens on and no problem,worth repairing or get a new one,have to say if it is broken very dissapointed with nikon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ray1 e2
10 541 1 England
24 Apr 2010 7:58PM
Try cleaning the contacts which could be dirty.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Apr 2010 11:31PM
Cleaning the contacts may help, Also try switching the A/M switch on the lens from one side to the other a few times, Just in cast the switch contacts are dirty.

That said even the new MkII version of this lens is only around 125 quid brand new, So its a real budget item, Chances are that repairing is not an economical option.

However you would be wise to ask Nikon about that directly.

I have a number of Nikon lens, Some are 10/12 years old.....Might be older, Never had any problems with them, However they are not budget range lens.

Wink
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2010 11:35PM
Just check that the aperture ring is not stuck as I had this problem and just moved the ring round, clicked it back into place and amazingly it started to work again. My lens was a 60mm micro.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Apr 2010 11:55PM

Quote:Just check that the aperture ring is not stuck

The Nikon 18-55 has no aperture ring.....Sad

Unlike the old but superb Nikon 60mm f/2.8 D micro lens....Smile

Wink
25 Apr 2010 9:49AM
The 18-55 may well be a bog standard kit lens, but I think it is a good work horse. I have severel lens that I use as required, but the 18-55 is on for most of the time and is good value for the money so it is worth trying the above suggestions. Smile
25 Apr 2010 5:15PM
Is it the old non-VR version? I had that on my old D50 as a kit lens and thought it was pretty good. However, if your lens HAS died a death, the newer kit-lens that comes on the D5000 for example is a pretty good alternative now, has 'VR' etc. and shouldnt cost more than about 60-80 secondhand (people often upgrade their kit lens and sell them off).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.