Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon 24-120 f4 VR

Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
12 Oct 2012 12:37PM

Quote:Vignette should not be an issue if you use vignette control on a D700. The 24-70 has very fast AF.

Your assuming Len, the op is either using out of camera JPEGs or the very outdated NX2 to convert RAWs (so it reads the vignette exif info) but Lightroom too has a good vignette control ( and the lens correction option).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Oct 2012 7:34PM

Quote: or the very outdated NX2 to convert RAWs (so it reads the vignette exif info)
While I agree NX2 is overdue for a general update for what it does well it still runs rings around most of the competition for simplicity of achieving fast local adjustment.
Free to download ViewNX 2 reads the vignette exif.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
13 Oct 2012 11:54PM
The 24-70 is a "standard" professional lens and mine is a lot better than the 28-70 that it replaced. I sold my old 28-70 to a colleague who's still delighted with it. Both are good GP lenses but not exactly lightweight.

With zooms, it's almost a case of picking the two that you really need from image quality, zoom range and wide aperture. You basically can't have all three in the same lens at any cost!

I think the D700 can take manual focus lenses which gives access to the excellent and relatively cheap Nikon AIS lenses. For landscape, you'd find plenty of use for the 20mm f3.5. You're unlikely to want differential focus with ultra-wides and your landscape subjects tend to be static so the modest aperture shouldn't be a problem. It's actually smaller and lighter than an f1.8 standard lens.
Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
14 Oct 2012 2:03AM
The latest 20mm f/3.5 AIS is brilliant for the money, and as above, it's tiny and you can get away with a 52mm filter with no vignetting. The AF f/2.8 one is also a good performer.

Neither will have much out of focus with their enormous depth of field unless you focus less than a few feet away.

Nick
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
15 Oct 2012 7:19AM

Quote: or the very outdated NX2 to convert RAWs (so it reads the vignette exif info)
While I agree NX2 is overdue for a general update for what it does well it still runs rings around most of the competition for simplicity of achieving fast local adjustment.
Free to download ViewNX 2 reads the vignette exif.

That's when you take out the computer restarts for the 10 times it freezes for each image - something I've never had with Lightroom or Captureone. When I could get it to work it was good, but tbh no better than the newest version of Lightroom. (not had any probs with ViewNX)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.