Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8

annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
2 Jan 2013 11:56PM
Jane, I read this thread and do not regret it thanks to you post!
Your post made much more sense than off topic discussion.. (I don't moan about people repairing their mate's car either. )
After having moved back to full format I had also found some lenses unsatisfactory and bout the 80-200 2.8 and the 14-24. But the price tag for the said zoom is too much for me so I have used the 55 1.2 for the mid range.. And that lacks in flexibility.
Will do as proposed and look for a 28-70!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

3 Jan 2013 7:43AM

Quote: But the price tag for the said zoom is too much for me so I have used the 55 1.2 for the mid range.. And that lacks in flexibility.

Prices vary over time, often related to exchange rates. The UK pound has risen to 141 from 118 over the last four months, and some Nikon prices are falling as a result. The 24-70 is now down to £1220 although this is a far cry from the £800 I paid at first launch when the UK pound was much stronger against other currencies. There is a chance it could go as low as £1100 making it more affordable.
I owned the 28-70 before trading up to the 24-70. The 28-70 is a good lens. It does not have nano coating and is more prone to flare - for those who choose to point it straight into the sun. The corners to about f5 .6 are a little behind compared to the 24-70. The 28-70 may have more robust zoom and focus rings as there are few reports of their needing a repair. It gave me a first class results when I owned it.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2013 12:11PM
some comments deleted, one edited as it refers to a deleted post and wouldnt have made sense. Lets keep advice civil please, thanks.
winger 5 2 United States
8 Jan 2013 11:25PM
I shoot a D700 and D7000. I have many DX and full frame lenses, and as good as any, if not the flat out best is my 24-70 f/2.8. Stellar throughout its range, sharp to the edge, especially on DX sensor, low to NO distortion. If there is a negative, it would be its weight. It is a heavy lens, however I'm a big strong guy and can handle that...Smile
You would love it....
kojak e2
1 12 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 4:14PM
I bought this lens and a D600 in December. Brilliant. Superb. Well worth upgrading.
Frank_Reid 8 225 1 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2013 11:12PM
Get the lens enjoy what it brings to your photography. Trust me I use it 7 days a week so for for the past 3 years.

Regards

Frank
mediaman 5 12 Scotland
11 Jan 2013 4:34PM
Just a wee memo :-
With my D3, this is a well balanced outfit....but with my D800 [no battery pack attached ] the outfit is a tad "front heavy" try out the combo in a shop for weight balance, and general handling.
11 Jan 2013 4:42PM

Quote:With my D3, this is a well balanced outfit....but with my D800 [no battery pack attached ] the outfit is a tad "front heavy"

What does this mean? Itís a common comment, including by photographers I respect. But what does it really mean?

Are you doing this with your camera?
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Jan 2013 5:15PM
As handling an SLR camera is essentially a two-handed affair, it is the total weight and bulk that matter to me, rather than any "point of balance". One of the reasons that I prefer the D800 to the D3s is the lighter weight of the D800 body. But, of course, with many of my lenses, the body contributes less than half the total outfit weight. With a 50mm prime mounted, most of the weight is in the body; with the 70-200mm f/2.8 mounted, most of the weight is in the lens. Notions of "balance" are pretty well meaningless. For anything much heavier than the 70-200, of course, I tend to use a monopod, tripod or beanbag.
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
12 Jan 2013 6:22PM
Buy a cheaper Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and use the extra money to get yourself some insurance for doing your weddings - or you may not get into the venue. Many require PL insurance details to allow you to shoot pics at a wedding on their premises.
FatBoyfocus 5 69 4 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 5:30AM

Quote:Buy a cheaper Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and use the extra money to get yourself some insurance for doing your weddings - or you may not get into the venue. Many require PL insurance details to allow you to shoot pics at a wedding on their premises.

Sounds like good advice. How does the cheaper option compare to the nikon tho?
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Jan 2013 11:19AM

Quote:Buy a cheaper Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and use the extra money to get yourself some insurance for doing your weddings - or you may not get into the venue. Many require PL insurance details to allow you to shoot pics at a wedding on their premises.

On your current D3100 you probably would not see any difference at all.

However, if your next camera change was to an FX camera, especially a high-res one, then you might then begin to notice a difference, particularly at the extremes of camera/lens performance.

But - if you buy a lens secondhand on eBay (is there any other way??), you should be able to get most of your money back if you decide to re-sell it to upgrade later (unlike camera bodies).
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
13 Jan 2013 12:10PM

The Tamron and Sigma 24-70 f2.8 lenses are very highly regarded - do a bit of searching online and you'll see - there's even a review of the Tamron on here I think. Neither are as good as the Nikkor though.

Cannot over-emphasise the need for insurance. Many venues now require it as a matter of course. We had a scenario up here where a tog was using a studio light on a stand, which a guest tripped over. The stand fell over, scraping the wall and tearing the wallcovering. The hotel demanded the whole wall be professionally redecorated and the tog wasn't insured - result? - a £2000 bill for redecoration of a wall with wallcovering at around £240/roll. We've been to many places too where vases are on display on shelves etc - knocking one of those over could be a real cost too...
annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
14 Jan 2013 12:32AM
Well I was hovering on the notorious auction site and bid for various 28-70s. Most of them go for a lot of money guess what, I ended buying a 24-70 for £742 still a lot but much less than I thought.
annettep38 e2
3 188 32 France
1 Mar 2013 3:53PM
just another thought... did a complete wedding session with that lens, apart from 2 or three low light ones with the 55mm. Yes, it was perfect for the job.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.