Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon 40mm f2.8 micro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SEMANON
SEMANON  295 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jun 2012 - 12:00 PM

Any comments or photo's taken with this lens.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2012 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SEMANON
29 Jun 2012 - 12:01 PM

Got this lens on order so no pic's to upload yet.....

GarethRobinson
29 Jun 2012 - 2:40 PM

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon40mmaf-smicro/

plenty on there

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
30 Jun 2012 - 3:17 AM

Any comments...yes.. This focal length means you'll be very close to your subject/target physically - too close for my liking but maybe it'll work for you..

SEMANON
30 Jun 2012 - 4:46 PM

Hope so - if not I'll probably change for Tamron Sp90 - Unfortunately no decent shops to try either of these lens near me. I'll use for portrait's & in general as a sharp lens anyway.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2012 - 8:25 PM

If you want the lens to take macro photos in the 1:1 magnification range don't get the Nikon 40mm. The working distance of this lens at 1:1 is tiny, really tiny. You'll be not only right on top of your subject, but you'll be heavily shadowing it with the camera and lens, plus you'll have limited space to fit lighting setups in to correct the shadowing.

For general shooting and close up work, yes it can work well, but for 1:1 I would never use a lens shorter than around 60mm. The Tamron 90mm would be an ideal lens to start with, even though it extends you'll still have more room to work with and to light your subject.

SEMANON
1 Jul 2012 - 12:55 AM

Cheers for the advice, Do you know 100% if AF works on the D3100 - I'm pretty sure it does - I can always send it back if I absolutely have to, as I have on order now (v.exited!!) It was the extension I was worried about to tell you the truth but a few people have pointed towards The SP90, whilst away from 40mm Nikon micro - I'm sure their both ultra sharp - but I do want a good crack at getting properly close up. Just reading 'close-up photography' - Bryan Peterson, pretty good, he says you get the equivalent of one and a half times mag on a digital.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 1:08 AM

Magnification never changes no matter what format you use. Crop sensor or fullframe you still get the same 1:1 magnification ratio.

That is - the size of the image reflected on the sensor by the lens is the same size as it is in real life.

However what changes is the size of the frame; a 35mm camera (film or "fullframe digital") has a larger frame size, so it captures more of the scene around the edges as compared to a crop sensor digital camera which sees only the middle parts.

The magnification is the same, however if you were to print out (or display online) photos taken by both the crop sensor would "appear" to have a more magnified image.

SEMANON
1 Jul 2012 - 1:15 AM

I understand... I think!

SEMANON
1 Jul 2012 - 10:33 PM

In ref to Tamron SP90, any particular filter I should be looking for for this lens, either for macro or general/portrait ? I like to get one pretty early on as protection as much as anything else. Also is it worth trying with extension tubes?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 10:38 PM

Quote: any particular filter I should be looking for for this lens, either for macro or general/portrait ? I like to get one pretty early on as protection

I swear by B+W MRC filters and have only bought these for several years now. Not cheap, but you want something with as good quality glass and coatings as your lens!

SEMANON
1 Jul 2012 - 10:49 PM

I can't seem to find what size I'd need, I think a 55m ??

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 10:56 PM

Tamron website says 55mm filter thread for the "SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1"

SEMANON
1 Jul 2012 - 11:12 PM

Cheers, couldn't seem to find it Wink

SEMANON
1 Jul 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'm going to try a B+W MRC circular polarizing filter - 35quid didn't seem to bad - your right, it would be a very stupid thing to put a cheapo filter on such a crafted lens, not to mention a waste of money buying it in the first place!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.