Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon 50mm f1.8 Repair help please

Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2012 9:04AM
Morning all

I have a 50mm nikon lens but it seems a bit loose in the body,i can see 3 crosshead screws and one flat screw on the back of the lens
the flat screw turns as you focus the lens but the crosshead screw dont,i am thinking of tring to tighten up the crosshead screws but i am not too sure if i would be doing the right thing ?

Do you think i would be doing any more damage or should i go for it ?

Thanks,Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2012 9:30AM
If you are not sure what you are doing leave well alone and take it to a "good" photography shop for advice/service
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Mar 2012 9:33AM
As long as you use a jeweller's turnscrew and do not exercise too much pressure, tightening up any loose screws should not do any harm.

Which 50mm lens is it? I have the f/1.8D and will have a look at it if it is the same one.
19 Mar 2012 9:56AM
Is the "loose" screw the AF drive?
With the lens off the body if the screw turns when you turn the focus ring it has nothing to do with the lens being loose.
If the lens has been well used it might need no more than a simple internal adjustment.
If you know what you are doing and have the right tools it is probable removing the cross head screws will enable you to remove the bayonet flange.
There may be 3 small screws behind the flange to adjust how tight the lens attaches. If there are internal screws, anybody reasonably skilled at doing this sort of work may be able to adjust the tightness.
As the 50mm 1.8 D costs around 70 second hand getting a new lens rather than paying for a repair, or doing more harm than good if you do not know what you are doing, is an option.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
19 Mar 2012 10:41AM
When a 50mm lens goes wrong and isn't worth fixing, it makes an excellent loupe!
Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2012 11:49AM
Thanks for all you're reply's i will have a look but the screw does turn when the lens is off the camera and i am using the focus ring so i think i'll find a expert to give me a idea of how much it would cost me for them to look at it,and as it has been said a used one could be picked up quite cheap.

Thanks for all the help,Ian
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
19 Mar 2012 2:01PM

Quote:Morning all

I have a 50mm nikon lens but it seems a bit loose in the body,i can see 3 crosshead screws and one flat screw on the back of the lens
the flat screw turns as you focus the lens but the crosshead screw dont,i am thinking of tring to tighten up the crosshead screws but i am not too sure if i would be doing the right thing ?

The flat "screw" is actually the drive coupling for the autofocus motor in the camera body. It's supposed to be free to turn with the focusing mechanism. Whether tightening the crosshead/philips screws will have any effect depends on whether they are loose.
chavender e2
4 226 1 France
19 Mar 2012 6:42PM
I had exactly the same problem with a 1.8 50mm Nikon lens a while ago and as it was uneconomic to have repaired I decided to have a go myself.
After removing the three screws that hold the mount onto the lens and removing the mount I found two metal brackets secured with two screws on each which when adjusted solved the problem. The brackets seem to take up any slack in the focusing. It took a little trial and error to find the correct position but now the lens is back to normal.

If you are careful and take your time it may solve the problem. Be careful not to lose the aperture lock lever and the spring that sits behind it.

I hope this helps as it solved the problem on my lens.

Good luck

Bill

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.