Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Zoom [what you think]

29 Jun 2012 11:11PM
Hi All
Has anybody had any experience with or Views on the Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Zoom -- Think it was discontinued around 1999
One has caught my eye and I was going to put it on my d7000 its not local to me --so I am not able to try it out.
Just a bit worried that this older lens may not have good IQ or be compatible with a newer DSLR
Thanks in advance to any replies
Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Railcam e2
8 484 Scotland
30 Jun 2012 9:34AM
I cannot comment about the old version but I have the current AFS, G, VRII version and it really is worth the price - just over 400 new if you can stretch to that. There is slight pin cushion distortion at the longer focal lengths which is corrected by the click of a button in Lightroom.

Definitely one of Nikon's hidden gems.

I think the D7000 contains a focus motor in the body so the lens should be compatible. As the D7000 is a cropped sensor you would only be using the centre of the lens. I am using a full frame sensor on the new one with excellent results.

Probably worth it unless anyone knows different.
30 Jun 2012 10:12AM
The D version was quite reasonable for the era, though not as good as the current VR. It was introduced in 1998.
There was also a G version, built down to a price to make "affordable kits" possible. It was introduced in 2000. It's reputation is not good though I have never used it.
Which version are you looking at?
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Jun 2012 10:16AM
'gotta be cheap...I sold that lens a few years ago for 50...and struggled to get that.
....far better you buy the Nikon 70-300 VR which is an excellent lens...pick these up SH for little more than 250.

...taken with the 70-300 VR

3-tn-the-ballet-dancer-2.jpg

peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2012 4:13PM
the current 70-300 VR is a gem of a lens; it produces the goods with my D7000 and D90; I bought mine s/h from an epz member and never have regretted it.
30 Jun 2012 5:31PM
Not sure of version --- It was Grays of westminster that was selling the Lens -- not showing on website now, so it looks already sold --it was just a punt really TBH --hardly any info on the internet about the lens so i thought the forum may have some idea if it was a peach or a lemon - - the reviews and photo on the 70-300 vr looks good though -- Thanks for that-- may look at one of these.

Dave
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Jun 2012 5:45PM
Have to endorse what has been said above about the 70-300mm. For a (relatively) cheapo lens, it is exceptionally good.
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2012 9:36AM

Quote:Not sure of version --- It was Grays of westminster that was selling the Lens -- not showing on website now, so it looks already sold --it was just a punt really TBH --hardly any info on the internet about the lens so i thought the forum may have some idea if it was a peach or a lemon - - the reviews and photo on the 70-300 vr looks good though -- Thanks for that-- may look at one of these.

Dave

I looked at the 75-300 some months ago, and found mixed reports so I passed on it.
It was cosidered O.K. compared with the older 30-700mm , but nothing like the recent 70-300mm. VR.

As noted above this seems to be a much better buy, even if a bit dearer.
uzi9mm e2
3 79 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2012 2:48PM
take a look at the 55-300 vrII since ive had it on my camera its never been off great pictures from it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.