Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon 85mm 1.8D vs 85mm G

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    frankiej
    frankiej  2 United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2013 - 1:44 PM

Hi there,

Just wondering what people's opinions are regarding this two lenses. I have a D600 and would like to get an 85mm but at the moment the newer 'g' lens is a bit too costly so I'm considering the older 85mm 1.8 which seems to be an excellent lens. Differences being the weight and size but I wondered whether the newer 85mm, being especially designed for fx cameras, would be a better purchase,

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Apr 2013 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2013 - 2:16 PM

My 50 and 85 AFD work just fine on the D800, don't see why they wouldn't work just as well on the 600

Newdevonian
    20 Apr 2013 - 3:08 PM

Both the 85mm D & G lenses are full frame designs. Statistically the G lens is better at the edges than the D at F1.8. However for portraiture does this matter?
    I have the D version and am well pleased with it.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2013 - 7:57 PM

How do you define a "better purchase"?
    Wide open the G in Nikon's MTF is slightly ahead for optical quality. There is probably negligible difference at f8-f11.
    The larger filter size of the G version is probably to reduce the corner shading wide open which is always greater with digital then it was with film. Nikon describe it as "optimised for use with digital SLR's" in the technical specification.
    The price difference seems to be just over 20% http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod.php?n=NikonAF-S85mmf1.8GLens&p=2447
    If you ever need to sell the lens I think the G will hold it's second hand value better.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.