Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon 85mm 1.8D vs 85mm G

20 Apr 2013 1:44PM
Hi there,

Just wondering what people's opinions are regarding this two lenses. I have a D600 and would like to get an 85mm but at the moment the newer 'g' lens is a bit too costly so I'm considering the older 85mm 1.8 which seems to be an excellent lens. Differences being the weight and size but I wondered whether the newer 85mm, being especially designed for fx cameras, would be a better purchase,

Cheers!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2013 2:16PM
My 50 and 85 AFD work just fine on the D800, don't see why they wouldn't work just as well on the 600
20 Apr 2013 3:08PM
Both the 85mm D & G lenses are full frame designs. Statistically the G lens is better at the edges than the D at F1.8. However for portraiture does this matter?
I have the D version and am well pleased with it.
20 Apr 2013 7:57PM
How do you define a "better purchase"?
Wide open the G in Nikon's MTF is slightly ahead for optical quality. There is probably negligible difference at f8-f11.
The larger filter size of the G version is probably to reduce the corner shading wide open which is always greater with digital then it was with film. Nikon describe it as "optimised for use with digital SLR's" in the technical specification.
The price difference seems to be just over 20% http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod.php?n=NikonAF-S85mmf1.8GLens&p=2447
If you ever need to sell the lens I think the G will hold it's second hand value better.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.