Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G

2 Dec 2012 9:11PM

Quote:
The screens are different, because the intent with AF is that you only use the screen for framing, not for focussing. There are no aids like split-image, rangefinder or fresnel patches which made focussing easier.

Lets agree to disagree.
I always used plain ground grass screens for manual focus on the Olympus system.
High end current digital is similar ground glass though around 3 stops darker with less focus "bite".
Even so for about a third of my AF body work I use manual focus - without any special difficulty.
In my experience the D200 did not quite equal best 100 ISO slide film, but the D300 and later digital cameras do.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

iShan 2 1
13 Dec 2012 5:24PM
Guys, a big Thank You for your valuable comments. I was going through a lot of blogs and found that a Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G on my D60 would work as a 50mm on a FX camera, giving me natural eyeview photos. Any thoughts on buying this lens instead of a 50mm?
thewilliam 6 4.8k
13 Dec 2012 5:30PM
It depends what sort of pictures you take. Have a look at the EXIF data for your favourite images and see which focal length your zoom lens was set to.
13 Dec 2012 8:33PM
[quote}
The screens are different, because the intent with AF is that you only use the screen for framing, not for focussing. There are no aids like split-image, rangefinder or fresnel patches which made focussing easier.

I mainly disagree. With film bodies I preferred plain matt, not split image or fresnel. Provided I had my eyesight checked regularly I had no problem with matt screens.
With modern DSLR's I continue to focus manually about one third of the time using the matt part of the screen.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 12:32AM
I know. You already said.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.