Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Canon or Sony? Please Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

coolfriendaakash

Hii everyone.. I wanna buy a Digital Camera.. And Shortlisted 3 cameras... Canon PowerShot SX120 IS (10mp, 10X zoom), Sony Cybershot DSC H20 (12mp, 10X zoom) and Nikon Coolpix L100 (10mp, 15X zoom).

Can anyone please tell me which one to choose and please give a proper reason! Please I need ur help! I have compared this cameras in here in this link. Please chk dis out also.. according to dis.. I better choose Sony, but some are also saying dat Nikon and Canon are good. Am confused. Please suggest!

Last Modified By coolfriendaakash at 29 Sep 2009 - 8:06 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Sep 2009 - 8:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
29 Sep 2009 - 9:08 PM

If your going for a compact i would recommend a panasonic lumix over any canon, nikon or sony. Panasonic use leica lenses and provide far more superior image quality to other cameras. Panasonic lumix cameras are very reasonable priced. james

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
coolfriendaakash

Well I am not goin for compact one... I want some pro photography at an affortable price....

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 9:20 PM

Quite honestly, Theres nothing to choose between them.

For sure there are minor differences, But nothing that really makes one any better than the other.

The Sony claims am ISO of 3200, That I really have to see, Because many DSLR's struggle to get a decent image at ISO3200, So the chances of a compact doing it, Are doubtfull.

I would not pay to much attention to the Mega Pixel differeces between them, In some cases more is not always a good thing, But thats way to technical to explain here, In afew words.

That said, If your into the occasional Video clip, The Sony has better Video resolution, Or so they claim....!

Bottom line with any camera choice, Go have a look and try them.

Or find some reviews with actual image testing, Because no matter how many toys, They might have, What you should really be interested in, Is how good the image quality is....Wink

cameracat
29 Sep 2009 - 9:22 PM

Quote: I want some pro photography at an affortable price

The cameras you have listed, The link you have provided, Are all " Compact " cameras....Not Pro, No way, No How.....Smile

Edit; As James has suggested, If you want a quality compact, That even a Pro might use, You need to be looking at something like the Panasonic Lumix LX3 or the Canon G10 or soon G11.....!!!

Last Modified By cameracat at 29 Sep 2009 - 9:24 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
coolfriendaakash

well thanks for all the suggestions.....
@cameracat... I am a ameture. So those 3 cams are like a pro to me... and fr the Lumix and G10.. those are over my budget. So It would help if you please help me choose between these 3 brands I have mentioned!

coolfriendaakash

and by " Compact " I meant more smaller cameras... like the IXUS of canon..

cameracat
29 Sep 2009 - 9:54 PM

Digital cameras are normally classed in 3 groups.

Compact, Bridge, DSLR.

As I said above the cameras you have listed are " Compacts " .

If your looking for something better than a compact, But not as expensive as a DSLR, You should take a look at " Bridge " models.

For Example something like this.

This type of camera offer better images, Its kinda halfway between a compact and a DSLR....Smile

coolfriendaakash

well good choice... bt is Fuji better dan canon or sony?

coolfriendaakash

And I also chked it out...whats difference between Bridge and this compact? I didn't get it really.. cause the tech specs are showing still sony is d better one... here's d link

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
29 Sep 2009 - 11:00 PM

Quote: .....I want some pro photography at an affortable price....

Oh...right.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2009 - 11:09 PM

Is Boyd up to his old tricks again?Wink Someone is pulling your leg people.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 29 Sep 2009 - 11:10 PM
coolfriendaakash

Hello ppl.. need sum help here, Duh!! not just " oh.. right "

davey_griffo
30 Sep 2009 - 12:28 AM

I'd say, if it has to be one of the 3 listed, go for the sony. It has a Karl Zeiss lens, one of the best lens makers in the world. I have a Zeiss standard zoom on my a350. Great piece of glass.

If you are thinking of taking Cameracat's advice & going for a bridge camera, try the fujifilm S100Fs. I have the earlier model, the S6500FD, and it's superb. It's bigger & chunkier than a superzoom, looks the part, & gives you something more substantial to hold. Useful if you have larger hands. It's about the same size as a compact DSLR, like a Pentax or Olympus.

The 100 has a longer zoom, & a few other updates.

I just checked Amazon, & they have the 6500 for about 170.00, & the 100 for about twice that. Depends on your budget.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 12:35 AM

It is hard to get excited about any of those cameras as they all have too much of a zoom range and too compromised a specification due to the big zoom range.
To be honest the Nikon offers a wider angle lens so I would probably get that, or pay less and live with a lower spec camera.

Last Modified By strawman at 30 Sep 2009 - 12:37 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.