Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D200 broken: repair cost?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
27 Jun 2011 - 1:23 PM

On Sunday I discovered that my Nikon D200 was displaying Err in the top LCD, and the mirror refused to lift when I took a shot. I tried the mirror lock up mode (for sensor cleaning) and the mirror did not move. Just my luck for it to break a few months before the D400 is supposed to appear. Does anyone have a good idea what this might cost to fix and can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the East Hants and Sou

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jun 2011 - 1:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
27 Jun 2011 - 3:19 PM

First make sure that it is faulty. Remove and replace the battery and do a factory reset.

Then try Fixation, who are authorised repair agents. Only a repairer can tell you what it'll cost.

Bear in mind that you can get another for about GBP200 (privately) up to GBP400 for a very nice example from Grays, Ffordes or MPB.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 27 Jun 2011 - 3:21 PM
Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
27 Jun 2011 - 4:48 PM

Thanks 'thewilliam'. I realise only a repairer can say with any certainty, but I wondered if anyone had come across a similar issue, and the ball park price. I hadn't realised used examples were so cheap, and I suspect repairs would be ~200+ anyway. The only advantage of mine is that it has one careful owner. Yes I recharged the battery and it occurred to me today to do a reset, so I'll do that this evening.

minar1
minar1  4 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2011 - 7:43 PM

If anybody nows where they are for 200 let me know please my mate is desperate for one

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jun 2011 - 9:12 PM

Similar thing with my old D80 that I gave to my hubby as a birthday pressie complete with a lovely new sigma lens! I thought it still had a good few years left but the flashing ERR message says otherwise. Have not sent it off yet as need some spare dosh first! Sad

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
28 Jun 2011 - 8:29 AM

I was unable to reset the camera, which suggests to me that it is not a simple mechanical fault, but a fundamental problem with the circuit boards.

thewilliam
28 Jun 2011 - 11:30 AM

When you look at an estimated repair cost, remember to add the VAT and shipping both ways. Repair costs are in proportion to the new price and not its market value. Ask what they charge for the estimate when you don't want to proceeed with the repair.

D200 prices seem to have firmed up in the last few months since I bought mine. Ebay is now as expensive as MPB.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
28 Jun 2011 - 11:29 PM

Quote: When you look at an estimated repair cost, remember to add the VAT and shipping both ways. Repair costs are in proportion to the new price and not its market value. Ask what they charge for the estimate when you don't want to proceeed with the repair.

Thanks but that is rather obvious. Fixation do not charge for a quote apart from the postage cost of course. So maybe 20 wasted if that turns out to be the case. D200 are all going for about 400 now. ebay ones are expensive and I would not buy privately, too much risk for an item that could fail in a month or two.

It is a shame no-one has come an issue like this before and hence can say what they paid.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62478 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
29 Jun 2011 - 8:55 AM

You could try gently lifting the mirror to see if the problem clears.
My guess is is a repair would cost over 200 so you have nothing to loose by trying it.

thewilliam
29 Jun 2011 - 10:36 AM

Leif, you'd be surprised how many people don't know "the obvious" and get a nasty surprise.

There was a Hasselblad EL sold on eBay recently and it was in bits. I gather that the owner didn't like the probable repair cost and wouldn't pay for the estimate so the repairer returned the camera in its dismantled state.

Could buy privately from a fellow-member of a club or association. I bought my walkabout D200 via the RPS classified and from somebody who's completely respectable. I've never bought from eBay but it's been very useful for selling.

ANY camera could fail in the next couple of months, even something brand new!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 29 Jun 2011 - 10:37 AM
Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
29 Jun 2011 - 11:05 AM

Quote: You could try gently lifting the mirror to see if the problem clears.
My guess is is a repair would cost over 200 so you have nothing to loose by trying it.

That's actually a good point and as you say, nowt to lose. It could just be 'sticky'. Oils and other lubricants do seize up due to dust etc.

Quote:
Could buy privately from a fellow-member of a club or association. I bought my walkabout D200 via the RPS classified and from somebody who's completely respectable. I've never bought from eBay but it's been very useful for selling.

ANY camera could fail in the next couple of months, even something brand new!

Yes true, but buy from a reputable shop and you get at least 6 months warranty, and 1 year for new items which provides some reassurance. Yes a known private source is a good idea, but I do not mix with other enthusiasts, so sadly that route is out. I think the point I was making is that for any product there is a mean time to failure rating, and the older the item, the more likely it is to fail. In the case of a D200 it might be relatively old. My D200 is getting on for 6 years old being one of the first batch into the UK. It has had one very careful owner, although the rubber is peeling off, so I think the best option is a repair.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
29 Jun 2011 - 11:54 AM

I have used http://www.sendeancameras.co.uk/camrepairs.htm They have a shop in Soho and one in Hatton Gdns. IIRC the actual repairs are done down in Brighton. If you call you may be bale to take it in directly to the Sussex repair base.

If you Google "nikon d200 err message" you will get pages of hits where others have experiences Err and offers of how to clear and the probable cause.

thewilliam
29 Jun 2011 - 12:12 PM

Enthusiasts often have little conception of the life-span of "professional" grade cameras.

I seem to remember that the D200 shutter is rated for 150k actuations and few enthusiasts would do this in a lifetime. The cameras will often last a lot longer than that. One colleague's studio put nearly a million actuations on a Kodak DCS760 with its F5 shutter. They were able to sell it as fully working.

It's abuse or under-use that kills cameras. Occasionally, it's just hard luck.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
30 Jun 2011 - 1:24 PM

Oh I do know how long they can last. The old Nikkormats were non professional cameras but they seem to last forever. I've worked my way through loads of really old mechanical cameras, and the only one that failed was an F90x which I dropped in a silty stream. It's not the mechanics that worry me, it's the electronics. That seems to be the issue with my D200. I suspect failure for electronics is governed more by the number of on off cycles than the number of photos, but that's a guess. I have no figures at all for how long electronics in modern cameras can last. It would be interesting to know figures for any of the DSLR brands if such exist.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
30 Jun 2011 - 1:50 PM

You also have to bear in mind that mechanical (and electronic) 35mm cameras (outside professional use) generally have a fraction of shutter cycles compared to digital due to film and processing costs per shot.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.