Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D200 Users

miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 1:31PM
Currently using a Canon Powershot S2, and thinking of upgrading to a Nikon D200. Was wondering what existing D200 users felt about the D200, likes dislikes pros and cons. etc. With the dSLR market so dynmaic at present I feel it is best to see how the market settles, and possible lower prices for the D200 before making the commitment.

Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
11 Oct 2006 1:54PM
Brilliant tool Mike.

BUT... it eats batteries - especially if shooting RAW and when using the screen.

The Nikon website has comparison data when shooting in the different modes but I'm averaging 300 images per battery. Interestingly, the camera settings as delivered, have the screen selected to 'Off'.

That said, it is a stunning piece of equipment and I'm VERY happy with mine.
theorderingone 10 2.4k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 1:59PM
Like Mike said, it's a brilliant tool. Perfect for what how I use it.

Mike - I've heard a few people say that, which I don't understand as I regularly get over 1700 shots per battery. I have the screen set to display the image as soon as it's taken aswell

I use the MB-D200 grip, but that shouldn't make the batteries last any longer. :S
11 Oct 2006 2:06PM
Are you shooting RAW or JPG Gary?

EDIT: I too have the MB-D200 but the batteries are used sequentially i.e. one is used up first before going onto the second cell.
11 Oct 2006 2:22PM
RAW Mike, and generally at 5fps in short bursts aswell.

I don't think (haven't looked) you can set the batteries to be used in tandem rather than sequentially. It's not something I've ever been bothered with as I'm more than happy with the battery life.

I barely ever review the pictures on the screen after shooting though, which will help the battery life. I never have the time Smile
11 Oct 2006 2:28PM
Ah!! Absolute minimum use of the screen. Thats probably why you're getting such a good return on battery consumption Gary. It's the screen that the real 'hog' here (well - it is big!) but that said, I've just spent the last 15 minutes searching the revamped Nikon UK site for the article I refered earlier. Can't find it! The relevant bit was that in each of the test scenarios they stated, the screen was used for 10 secs after each exposure.

I think I'm going to have a word with Nikon...

EDIT:

Just got off the phone with Nikon Gary/Mike. Based on what we've been saying about frames/charge we obviously have different 'shooting styles'. By any chance when you're shooting your bursts, are you focussing manually and shooting using manual metering? The burst shooting is going to 'up' the number of frames/charge but if your not using autofocus and and multi-pattern metering, that will also be giving you a higher battery life.
thompp 8 49
11 Oct 2006 3:07PM
Just this week got my mucky paws on a Nikon D200. It will get its first full test this w/e at Silverstone (and photography at Silverstone with its high fencing will be a test !!!)) for the Touring Cars (BTCC) finale, when I can comment on things like battery life.

I've upgraded from a compact camera (Nikon Coolpix 8800) and my initial impressions are very good. Main impacts are good, rugged build; usability of controls; and very good performance (start up time, lens focusing, fps, writing to memory card, reviewing images). For the rest the stats speak for themselves.

Go out, buy and enjoy. But buy a 2nd (and 3rd?) battery. Checkout Jessops current internet-type prices and bundled lenses.

8)

Thompp
11 Oct 2006 3:25PM
I use spot metering in Aperture Priority mode almost exclusively.

The only time I don't shoot that way is if I use flash. Then I use manual exposure mode with Matrix metering.

I use AF all the time.

It must just be my lack of screen use that's improving the battery life. Concert venues are typically quite warm as well, which may affect things.
Skodster 8 902 Ireland
11 Oct 2006 3:55PM
I upgraded from a D70. The 200 is a very good tool and I think that the biggest difference is the ability to change the key modes very quickly from the outside of the camera. It is bigger and heavier than the D70 but not to a degree where exhastion sets in.

Battery life is excellent in fine jpeg mode. I managed to shoot a 300+ frame wedding on one battery! I like the larger screen on the back to review shots.

For such a sophisticated camera it is very easy to use perhaps more so than the D70?

Price/value ratio is absolutely tremendous as you are buying into the more robust alloy bodied range.

Downsides? - I was disappointed at the amount of software that a 1100 camera body came with. I would have expected a good quality RAW processor at least!
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 4:00PM
Having to buy RAW software is a pain in the backside with Nikon. Thats why I wouln't entertain them out of principal. I think the D200 is good camera, hwoever the 5D has to offer better value for money if you are a landscaper. A sport photographer couldnt go wrong with a 20D ro 30D ... ok, its weather resistant, however you can always use a cover. Battery life on the Nikon's isnt upto the Canon .. i can get around 700-750 shots off a 20D battery.

The price is a temptation however for a weather sealed camera - shame it just feels like they are ripping you off over software and Im sure that puts a lot of customers off.
tirnanog 8 49 Tuvalu
11 Oct 2006 4:06PM
I agree with what culturedcanvas has said: Nikon are cheapskates to charge extra for the software, no matter how good the D200 is. I'm waiting to read more about the new Fujifilm S5 Pro, even though I have been tempted by the D200.

p.s. culturedcanvas: "principle" not "principal" in this context.
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 4:08PM
Typo .. sorry !
tirnanog 8 49 Tuvalu
11 Oct 2006 4:14PM
Don't worry about it: I'd be lost without Word's Spellcheck and the spelling check tool on my Google toolbar!
11 Oct 2006 5:00PM
Agreed Gary. That and your high use of multiple exposure.
dave thelens 11 936 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2006 5:12PM
just ordered one from the epz shop ... 950 body only

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.