Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D3 At my wits end

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maroondah
    maroondah  10239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2011 - 9:18 PM

Last year I had a major problem with my Nikon D3. The camera is lightly used and well taken care of at all times but the shutter mechanism failed and had to be replaced. This was done at Nikon and after much toing and froing the mechanism was fixed at no cost. It was a known problem with some D3s but Nikon never confirmed that. Last week the rear LCD failed and I became unable to review or use any of the menu system. It was returned to Nikon. Today I got news I had not been expecting. I wrongly thought it would be a replacement LCD. No so. The DG-PCB unit has to be replaced. Total cost of labour 80+ part @ 344+ VAT. Over 500 in total. Having now researched the issue on the internet and discounted much of it I still see a pattern of DG-PCB issues relating to the D3 and other Nikon DSLR's.

I am totally fed up. I made the choice to buy a camera that in most cases seems to be a robust high spec camera yet mine seems to be dogged by major problems. The rear LCD had to be removed to fix the shutter system last year and I now wonder if it was sealed up properly.

Nikon UK repairs section are great to talk to and I have the utmost confidence in their abilities but why am I having to shell out a large sum to fix a camera that should not need this amount of work so early in its life. If it was worked hard and not properly cared for I might be able to understand but this is not the case.

Apologies for the rant but really fed up. Without the camera for almost a month last year and now again its away. Aghhhhhhhhh

Gerry

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Nov 2011 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

John_Humphreys
    23 Nov 2011 - 9:48 PM

Hi Gerry,
    Sorry to hear about your problems with this camera. Sounds like a nightmare to me especially when you consider how much one of these costs. I have a D3 myself and fortunately have not had any problems at all. Any manufacturer can occasionally produce a Monday morning car or camera but it's how they handle the situation that matters when it comes to brand loyalty. If Nikon have any sense at all they'll sort this out for you without charging you a penny. I left Audi a few years ago, never to go back again, when I had similar problems with a new and very expensive car and neither they or the dealer dealt with them to my satisfaction - all they wanted to do was sell me a new one instead! Not only did I leave Audi for good but I'm happy to tell anyone who cares to listen how bad they are when it comes to maintaining customer satisfaction.
    John

thatmanbrian
    23 Nov 2011 - 10:25 PM

That is a sorry tale Gerry. Although presumably out of warranty, how old was it? Because if it was still quite new, Nikon/dealer might still have a responsibility.

Without offering legal advice, the dealer (not Nikon) has a duty to supply goods fit for purpose, not just for a year but for several years depending upon a number of factors. It gets complicated such as questions as to whether the fault was inherent in the design or simply poor construction or whatever, but ultimately, you as the buyer have a right to expect the item to last a reasonable time. The better the make, the longer this would be. Could be worth taking advice?

scottishphototours

Call Nikon UK and ask for Mark Evans, he's the Service Manager for the UK.

Speak to him, he's quite approachable. Tell him you have evidence online of other people witj the same troubles as you have. Ask him to help you resolve the issue for you before you take it to lawyers, or worse, to the internet...

Andy

mikesavage
    mikesavage  11229 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Nov 2011 - 2:50 AM

I thought the expression was "Friday car", not "Monday morning car".

mtbrider
    mtbrider  10
    24 Nov 2011 - 4:23 AM

I work in a factory.... My advice is to stay away from anything made on a mid-nights shift regardless of what day it is! Smile
    Sorry to hear about your camera problems... must be a real PITA

maroondah
    24 Nov 2011 - 10:10 AM

[quote]Call Nikon UK and ask for Mark Evans, he's the Service Manager for the UK.

Speak to him, he's quite approachable. Tell him you have evidence online of other people witj the same troubles as you have. Ask him to help you resolve the issue for you before you take it to lawyers, or worse, to the internet...

Hi Andy, I tried to speak with him this morning but was told he would only take a written communication. He did not tell me that but one of the repairs team did. I have since emailed him with my thoughts. Thanks for your help and suggestion.
    Regards
    Gerry

scottishphototours

Glad to help.

If writing, give him as much evidence from other sources as possible, that way your case is stronger. Let us know how you get on...

Andy

User_Removed
    26 Nov 2011 - 3:17 PM

The law says that goods must last a reasonable time, anything up to six years from the date of purchase with a minimum of 2 years' warranty. Search for EU Directive warranty also read this

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    28 Nov 2011 - 11:37 AM

Some extra information might help - the D3 was on sale between 2007 and late 2009 - how old is yours?
    Nikon UK often give a second year warranty on official imports if you register on line - only helpful if your D3 is less than 2 years old.
    Your retailer gets a "trade discount" from Nikon on repairs - there is no reason why a retailer who you use regular cannot pass this on.
    Some of the guidance given on Sale of Goods legislation is not 100% accurate.
    I agree a D3 is a product where expecting some UK retailer responsibility for up to 6 years is reasonable - but if the camera is 4 years old the retailer is unlikely to be held by the courts to be liable for a full 100% of the costs. Even so a 50% contribution would soften the blow Smile
    Nikon probably sold 200,000 - 250,000 copies of the D3 so a few internet threads are not firm evidence of inherent design faults. I have heard of no shutter or rear screen complaints on pro user Nikon forums I visit.
    A 2 year manufacturers warranty is not mandatory throughout the EEC - and has not been introduced in the UK - which is why you get a 1 year Nikon UK lens warranty in UK - and 2 years in France Sad
    Looking to the future Calumet prices and service are generally very good. Calumet sell extended warranties on products they sell at "affordable" prices which can be taken out up to 3 months before the manufactures warranty expires.
    On a D3s the cost is 120 for 3 years over Nikon's 2 years, and for a lens costing up to 4,000 is 24 for 3 years over Nikon's 1 year.

thatmanbrian
    28 Nov 2011 - 12:27 PM

On LensShepherd's point about extended warranties, it requires a bit of research to evaluate whether they are worth it or not. The key issue is how likely is it that your camera/lens will develop a fault covered by this insurance? Hard to fathom that one, but I'd suggest a manufacturer like Nikon has a pretty good reliability record which, bearing in mind the often silly prices demanded for extended warranties, would make me think twice. Calumet's prices quoted above do seem pretty good mind you.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    3 Dec 2011 - 7:14 PM

A pro-press photographer acquaintance has just posted on Facebook in a panic reporting similar symptoms on his D3s as the OP. Sad

maroondah
    3 Dec 2011 - 8:01 PM

Very sad to hear your mate has similar problems. My D3 is back but I'm still not happy and considering options.
    Regards
    Gerry

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.