Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon D300 & Sb-910 issue

21 Jun 2012 1:03PM
I am trying to use my D300 along with my new SB-910 via a Jessops TTL Off camera cord.
When I first switch both the camera & flash on it works fine but after several shots it stops firing.
Can anyone shed any light on why this should be? Compatibility issue perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 1:17PM
How quickly are you shooting? Does the flash have time to recycle? Does it start working again after a short period?
Have you checked the contacts? maybe the plug is working loose when you move?
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
21 Jun 2012 1:27PM
Try the flash on the camera to eliminate the cable as being faulty.

Does the flash have an overtemperature shutoff? ( the sb-900 did and I switched it off).
21 Jun 2012 1:31PM
Typical.....Ive just sat and fired off 50 shots without a problem. Still working on TTL BL FP
I'll keep plugging away and see what happens
Thanks
21 Jun 2012 1:34PM
Back already....Flash went into standby whilst I typed. When i booted it back up it had changed to TTL only mode and stopped firing
21 Jun 2012 1:41PM
Never had a problem with the flash on the camera up to now. I'm putting it down to a slightly dodgy connection between the cord and flash
Cybalist 2 21 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 3:36PM
Possibly a silly question but why are you controlling the SB-910 with a cord? It works wirelessly if you simply pop up the built-in flash and put it into commander mode, then pop the SB-910 into remote mode.

Even if you don't want to use wireless, give it a go and see if the SB-910 still exhibits the same problems - if it doesn't, then it's likely your cord is at fault. If it does, it's obviously the SB-910.

Simples! Grin
21 Jun 2012 3:53PM
Set it up wireless on Flash bracket but surely its easier to control the output in TTL mode via the flash rather than messing about in commander mode in camera?
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 3:57PM
Not really, because you can still use the flash compensation controls on the body when you're in commander mode.
RavenTepes 5 199 United States
22 Jun 2012 8:10PM
I seem to remember reading something about the 910 being essentially designed with the D800 and d4 in mind S a complimentary flash unit for both bodies. If that is in fact the case, then i'd be willing to say that yes, it could in fact be a compatibility problem with the D300's firmware. Also, I believe I read something to the effect that this.isn't an uncommon problem with the 910. I could be mistaken though.
Cybalist 2 21 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2012 8:13PM
I use an SB-910 with a D300S and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Just sayin'.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.