Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D300

PEWARE 5 42
14 Apr 2009 5:01PM
Hi Everyone

Has anyone had any problems with the Nikon D300 ?
I have used one since August last year ,Using mainly a Nikon 70-200 Lens and have had no problems until last week when photographing at Martin Mere.The camera started showing dead batteries but they were fully charged before I went. After pratting around for a while they showed fully charged again and worked for a few shots then went dead again.This happened for the rest of the day. On my return home I tried other lenses and they did the same thing showing dead batteries . I recharged the batteries and the same thing kept happening.
Has anyone else had this problem and how was it solved ?
Looking forward to your replies.
Peware

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
14 Apr 2009 5:02PM
Have you done the firmware upgrade that cures the dead battery syndrome??
PEWARE 5 42
14 Apr 2009 5:15PM
Hi Ian
I did not know there was an update,
How and where do I get it ?
Regards
Peware
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
14 Apr 2009 5:24PM
HERE you are. Smile
PEWARE 5 42
14 Apr 2009 5:53PM
Hi Ian
Thank you for the information ,Have just printed it off to study when time permits. It looks quite complicated and I don't know if I am intelligent enough to do it.Am not to good with computers. Any rate looks a nice lens on your camera . What is it Nikon Or Cannon ?

Regards Peware
14 Apr 2009 9:37PM

Quote: last week when photographing at Martin Mere.

Most modern cameras are sensitive to condensation, which can prevent electric signals between battery and camera or lens and camera.
Taking a camera from inside a warm car to damp outdoors, or from cold outdoors into a tropical bird house can cause enough condensation to stop electronic cameras working as well as condensation on lens elements.
Back to the Nikon download it speeds up focus tracking as well so it is well worth doing. Why not get a friend expert in computers to help you - it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
Digressing slightly Nikon have over 1000 useful answers at http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/
Every Nikon user can gain by going to this site.
Rob_Taylor 10 659 5 Wales
14 Apr 2009 9:45PM
Just bookmarking this thread, I need to update my firmware when I get the chance.
Thanks for the link Ian Smile
PEWARE 5 42
14 Apr 2009 10:14PM
Hi LenShepherd
I have been trying for two hours to download this firmware on my apple mac but nothing is doing, I shall have to give jessops a ring and find out if they will do it for me. Jessops being the nearest nikon dealer.
regards
Peware
PEWARE 5 42
14 Apr 2009 10:17PM
PS
if that does not work .One nikon D300 for sale +Five nikon lenses +Bigma 50-500 Nikon fit . Cannon here I come . Regards Peware
KBan 9 457 4 England
14 Apr 2009 11:10PM
hi there i use the Nikon D80 with the Nikon 70 200 f2.8 lens, i to have had the low battery warning on fully charged batteries,
I also got F -- in the viewfinder.

This indicated no lens attached in the manual...........I took off the lens and refitted.............It's been fine since, touch wood.

Keith
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
15 Apr 2009 12:48AM
Now, if you'd said you used a Mac......

Try This Smile
PEWARE 5 42
16 Apr 2009 8:30AM
Hi everyone
First let me thank you all for information received. My problem will hopefully be solved next Monday when a Nikon engineer from Jessops downloads the firmware on a new memory card and I go and collect it. I have tried downloading it myself on my mac but nothing happens.
Any rate I shall never trust the camera again so am thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D700. Has anyone got this camera ? Will the lenses I have got for the Nikon D200 and D300 fit the D700. If they don't fit and I have to buy new lenses I think I shall divorce Nikon and try Cannon instead. Any comments will be welcome.
Regards
Peware
16 Apr 2009 9:15AM
All I can say is get the firmware update installed, hopefully that'll be problem solved. Canon have had more than their fair share of firmware issues also. And I don't expect that their updates are any easier to do. As the camera is still under warranty (and it is a known fault) I'm guessing Jessops are upgrading it for free?

I have hadthe D300 sine the beginning of last year and it doesn't have the easiest of life. Despite using it in torrential rain (covering the floods at Morpeth last year), climbing, camping etc has proven 100% reliable for me. What I'm saying is that for the sake of a firmware upgrade (which is a big deal to you I understand) you may as well stick with it.

If you do want rid of it I'll give you 500. It is faulty after all ;o)
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2009 9:17AM
Well if you are welcoming comments......I think you're seriously overreacting and unless you have money to burn changing bodies is the last resort. Firstly you should see if the firmware upgrade fixes the problem and secondly if you have only had the camera since last August it should still be under warranty (I had two years on mine). If the firmware upgrade doesn't do the trick then send it to Nikon. Your lenses will fit the D200 and the D700 but any DX lenses will be compromised on the D700 (not your 70-200 mm) - but as I said above don't overreact!! Smile Smile

Ben
witchcraft 5 27 5 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2009 10:41AM

Quote:Hi everyone
First let me thank you all for information received. My problem will hopefully be solved next Monday when a Nikon engineer from Jessops downloads the firmware on a new memory card and I go and collect it. I have tried downloading it myself on my mac but nothing happens.
Any rate I shall never trust the camera again so am thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D700. Has anyone got this camera ? Will the lenses I have got for the Nikon D200 and D300 fit the D700. If they don't fit and I have to buy new lenses I think I shall divorce Nikon and try Cannon instead. Any comments will be welcome.
Regards
Peware

Well my D300 had an upgrade through my Mac and it went fine, great camera too. I'd try the fixed firmware before binning the body, the D700 and its software are pretty similar to the D300 so I'd be very sure the D300 was broken and that a D700 would fix the issues before forking out another 1000!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.