Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D300

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chalkhillblue
    chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2009 - 8:35 PM

After over 2 1/2 years of sterling service I have upgraded my D80, I have today purchased a secondhand D300 (light use, 3,000 actuations), obviously over the past couple of years I have read many reviews and comparison tests, but I believe there is nothing to compare with the experience of constant use over a reasonable period of time to enable someone to pass on the strengths and weaknesses of a camera. 99% of my photography is nature and close up based, my lenses are both the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR and 105 2.8 VR, so if there are users with any helpful advice/tips it would be very much appreciated, thanking you in advance.
    David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Sep 2009 - 8:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Strobe
    Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
    15 Sep 2009 - 9:09 PM

Good luck with the D300 David, I have been dying to upgrade my D80 to a D300 but am still procrastinating...
    Looking forward to seeing your D300 uploads
    Marc

scottishphototours

My D300's have a tendancy to err toward over-exposure in AE or S mode using Matrix metering. Think this a trait of the programming of the camera. For fine detail exposure, maybe underexpose by -.7 for the first few times as well, just to see how the images look when processed.

ISO 800 is really useable, though I've found when using such settings that the camera really has to be forced toward over-exposure to keep the highlight areas clean and relatively noise-free. Any ISO over 1250 is almost useless for my purposes and I suspect yours...

Andy.

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2009 - 11:25 PM

Before you start playing about with exposure compensation, be aware that the difference in dynamic range between the D80 and the D300 are such that you are probably already shooting in a way that will make the transition easier. You will probably find that the D300 loses much less highlight data than your D80. I'd read this thread before changing any settings.

chalkhillblue
    chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thank you to all who responded, very helpful and interesting information. Always lots of help on this site.
    David

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.