Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D3100 V Nikon D80

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Harpic
Harpic  4 England
24 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

Hi all
Need a bit of advice. I have damaged my trusty D80 and my insurance company has offered to replace it with a D3100. Is it a good replacement, I know it's a free replacement but I really liked my D80. All comments gratefully received.

Lee Summersby

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 9:33 AM

The D3100 has better image quality than the d80, but to be honest I don't think I would be happy with being offered a D3100, the body of the camera is not in the same ball park as a D80. The D80 was middle of the road Dslr in its time the D3100 is an entry level cam.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62511 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 - 9:36 AM

You should be able to buy a second hand "old technology" D80 for no more than 200.
A D3100 is a near but not exact match from the current line up with 2 year Nikon warranty for about 265.
If you want a better camera and talk to the insurance company they are likely to agree to pay you the equivalent amount of money for the D3100 once you have bought a new camera.

Andy80F
Andy80F e2 Member 11307 forum postsAndy80F vcard United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 - 9:47 AM

Also not all lenses that fit the D80 will work fully with the D3100 and you may loose autofocus with lenses not matched to the D3100. My son has the D3100 and I have the D80 and unfortunately he cannot borrow my lenses and retain autofocus nor easily upgrade from his system lens using the secondhand market. I'd not be happy with a D3100 it is not a direct replacement or even a linear update of the D80.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7822 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 10:39 AM

If you have a 'new for old' policy I would INSIST on the replacement being a D7000 [possibly even a D7100] as these models represent the current equivalent of the D80 in Nikon's line-up. As others have pointed out any cameras below this level have inferior build quality, lack a focus motor and only have one adjustment dial. Insurance companies often try this sort of thing on with technology products using the argument that IQ is equivalent.

That argument could possibly be made to some degree with a high quality compact, but insurance companies know that pushes the grey area too far. Like for like should offer ALL the same ergonomics/build and features as far as is possible - if you're assertive most assessors will cave immediately because they very well aware they're just using their customer's natural diffidence in such matters. Don't let them get away with it.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Harpic
Harpic  4 England
24 Apr 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for all the comments, the Insurance company seem pretty rigid with their offer, SO What about getting the D3100 then part ex for, say a S/H D300 ?
More comments please (and thanks again).

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 12:05 PM

The D80 was a cracking camera and my hubby still uses my old one. I would say you may be better going for a S/H D300s as this is a better upgrade from the D300 and should be possible to get one for a very good price. (There is/was? one in the classified on here earlier). You will have no problems using your lenses with this camera either. Smile

ChrisV
24 Apr 2013 - 12:23 PM

I would seriously have a look at your insurance policy. If you are paying for new for old, be assertive - you are well within your rights and the claim will have the same effect on your premiums whether it's for 300 or 600.

If you aren't new for old you'll only get around 200 for the D3100 '2nd hand'. A 2nd hand D300 will set you back about 400 and a D300s 600 - and in the case of the latter you could get the newer [and overall better IMO] D7000 for around the same money or a bit less. Either way you'll have a better camera than your D80, but I can't for the life of me think why you'd want to pay a fair bit for something you should probably be entitled to. Your insurance company will treat you no better for it in future.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 24 Apr 2013 - 12:24 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Steppenwolf
24 Apr 2013 - 1:20 PM

Quote: I would seriously have a look at your insurance policy. If you are paying for new for old, be assertive

I agree. The OP could tell them that he has some non AF-S lenses that won't auto-focus on the D3100, so the minimum cost like-for-like replacement is a D7000.

Insurance companies almost always try and short-change you - don't let them get away with it.

Harpic
Harpic  4 England
24 Apr 2013 - 1:34 PM

Many (many) thanks to ChrisV, phoned insures and they've ask for details of D700 (and D90)
Watch this space
Thanks again.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7577 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 - 1:39 PM

I had a D80 and replaced it with a D90, which was a vast improvement.
I have a D90 for sale if you're interested.

ChrisV
24 Apr 2013 - 3:05 PM

No probs mate - good luck [it's D7000 not D700 btw - the latter would probably give your assessor a coronary!]

Harpic
Harpic  4 England
30 Apr 2013 - 10:04 AM

Update (and hopefully the end !). Insurers are sending cheque to cover cost of a D90 body, I might just add the balance and get a D7000.
Once again many thanks to all for your help/suggestions.

Lee Summersby

Last Modified By Harpic at 30 Apr 2013 - 10:05 AM
pjplant
pjplant  6 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 - 10:21 AM

hi there, I am glad that you have sorted it out, my wife works for a large insurance company as a loss adjuster and just because they offer something it definitely doesn't have to be accepted, there is always room for negotiation, but as with a lot of companies unless you push them a bit they wont offer, sorry I didn't come into this conversation earlier.

pete

ChrisV
2 May 2013 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Update (and hopefully the end !). Insurers are sending cheque to cover cost of a D90 body, I might just add the balance and get a D7000.
Once again many thanks to all for your help/suggestions.

Lee Summersby

Wow - I didn't realise the D90 was still being offered for sale new, but it seems it is. You can't really argue with it being offered as a direct replacement for a D80 because it fairly unequivocally was [but it does show up how cheeky they were being offering a D3100].

I would definitely consider going for the D7000 adding a bit to what you get - it's a much newer sensor and AFAIK the processing/metering is significantly better too. The D7100 is better still - by many accounts the best APSc DSLR on the market at present. But as that's brand new prices are still pretty high and likely to remain so for quite a while...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.