Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D3200

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andybebbs
    andybebbs  6118 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 8:29 AM

Just got myself a Nikon D3200 with the 18-55vr lens and want to get myself a wide angle lens and was considering the sigma 10-20mm any thoughts.
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Nov 2012 - 8:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

YoBellzaa
    YoBellzaa ePHOTOzine Staff 7224 forum postsYoBellzaa vcard England
    12 Nov 2012 - 8:41 AM

Hi Andy, it scored well in our review: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-10-20mm-f-3-5-ex-dc-hsm-interchangeable-...

JohnParminter
    12 Nov 2012 - 9:33 AM

Quote: the sigma 10-20mm any thoughts.

Andy,

I find it produces odd results and is an acquired taste. It crams in loads of scene but even significant objects can be diminished in size and perspective. It will exaggerate foreground objects but you have to get really close to them. It can also produce very noticeable lens distortion of various kinds.

It has however been very useful on a handful of occasions where I have wanted to photograph a very big scene and didn't want to stitch separate images together but I hardly use it anymore preferring a standard range zoom lens for landscapes.

The 10-20mm is a common lens these days and you will see many landscape photos taken with this lens which makes for many images looking quite similar in style to each other, it may be worth not choosing this lens just to try and compose and produce images different to the wide angle style that is so prevalent these days, perhaps.. ??

But I do think it will serve you well if you do have a requirement for a wide angle lens.

Smile

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 11:04 AM

Quote: and want to get myself a wide angle lens

You already have one in the 18mm end of your 18-55mm, Any wider than that brings with it the problems mentioned, ie: Horrendous verticals, Nightmare time with vignetting when using filters etc etc, 16mm is a better option on a crop sensor as it equates to 24mm, This can still have a few issues, But far less than going any wider, So when you look at it, The difference between your 18mm and 16mm is negligible, Even at 14mm things start looking " Weird ", So if your into weird a " Lens Baby " might be a better option.

My problem with silly wide lens landscapes, Is they don't look natural to the eye, By that I mean, If you are standing there looking at a fantastic vista, You just don't get converging clouds, Or converging verticals like trees, Sure you can Photoshop your way out of that, But you then throw away a considerable amount of the image/data, In the correction process.

Another option if you want really weird stuff is a fisheye, But even that has a limited appeal after a few frames.

Another option with 24 mega pixels at your disposal, Is a crop job, Slice a bit of top and bottom, Sorted a super wide image.....Grin

Almost forgot the Photoshop options, The correction options work both ways, So you can always mangle your pixels into a super wide look, Without the expense of a lens, Or being stuck with overly distorted images......!!!!!!!!

Whatever, Have fun with your decision, That's what its all about.....Wink

andybebbs
    12 Nov 2012 - 11:12 AM

Thank you for all the comments and going to take on board what everyone says before i buy and need to sell my olympus kit before i can buy anyway.
    Thanks
    Andy

User_Removed
    12 Nov 2012 - 3:40 PM

Andy,

It is awfully difficult to keep the credit card in one's pocket when the photography bug bites but, as you "just got yourself a Nikon 3200 with 18-55 lens", my serious suggestion would be to use it for a few weeks and make a note of any situations where you feel that your creativity is being hampered by the lack of a particular lens focal length or other accessory. You will then be in a position to evaluate the relative advantages to be obtained from any prospective purchase.

I tend to agree with cameracat about landscapes taken with ultra-W/A lenses but that is a matter of taste. I use moderate telephoto for landscapes much more than a wide-angle.

thewilliam
    12 Nov 2012 - 4:25 PM

Andy, I'd go one stage further that Leftforum and advise you to carry a notebook when you take pictures. Whenever you feel limited by the camera, make a written note of what you would have liked the lens to do. For example:-

The kit lens is only f5.6 at the 55mm end so in low light levels, you might have wished it were f2 or you want a shallower DoF for a portrait.

When you want a telephoto, estimate the focal length you'd have wished for. Eg if you'd like to crop to half the width, you need 110mm.

When you want wider, estimate how much wider? Or closer, how close?

It's best to really get to know your kit lens and use nothing else for at least 3 months.

Then your notebook will tell you exactly what you need.

andybebbs
    12 Nov 2012 - 4:50 PM

Thanks guys my brother lent me an old Nikkor 18-35mm wide angle which only works in manual focus on my d3200 so can try that before i buy new.
    Thanks
    Andy

onetrickpony
    14 Nov 2012 - 7:01 AM

Quote: Thanks guys my brother lent me an old Nikkor 18-35mm wide angle

I wonder what benefits you're hoping this lens will bring. Your 18-55 is just as sharp (probably sharper), has about the same distortion on DX, the same aperture and a better zoom range.

The best way to upgrade would be to buy a prime, which will have a wider aperture and probably better optical performance. But most low light landscape shots probably deserve a tripod anyway, somewhat negating the benefits of a wider aperture. You'd be getting slim benefits for a substantial investment.

The kit Nikon 18-55 is seriously underrated. It's an excellent quality DX lens, you'd have to really splash out to beat it in the focal lengths it covers. I suspect Nikon puts a tonne more money into R&D for its kit lenses than it does its other lenses, because of the volume in which they are sold.

thewilliam
    14 Nov 2012 - 10:16 AM

The great Galen Rowell used modest aperture primes. In many ways, the f2.8 version of the 24mm AIS lens performs better than the f2.

For some reason, Nikon doesn't give us much choice of DX format wide-angle primes. The 10.5mm fisheye is the only one that I can think of.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Nov 2012 - 1:27 PM

the william has it about right stick wth the kit lens and note down shots you could not get and why.
    Not enough light =up the ISO
    camera shake= better technique or Tripod
    etc etc ive tryed one or two wide angles on my 3100, 7000 and more recently the 800e and quite frankly did not like the end results very much, distortion, vignetting etc.
    Ok you can post process a lot of this but I prefer to get a "clean shot" to start with so ive resorted to the old time approach of spending more time and leg work into getting into a better position.
    Most of my work is landscape and the top five accesories for this in my opinino are
    1 a firm tripod
    2 a good head (I prefer ball and socket)
    3 a good range of ND grads
    4 sunrise/sunset chart (get into position for those golden hours)
    5 ordance survey maps
    All five are available for less than some wideangles, OK perhaps the tripod and head will cost a bit more dependent on what you buy but are multi task useful

User_Removed
    19 Nov 2012 - 2:00 PM

Quote: The william has it about right stick wth the kit lens and note down shots you could not get and why.
    Not enough light =up the ISO
    camera shake= better technique or Tripod
    etc etc.

I've tried one or two wide angles on my 3100, 7000 and more recently the 800e and quite frankly did not like the end results very much, distortion, vignetting etc.
    Ok you can post process a lot of this but I prefer to get a "clean shot" to start with so I've resorted to the old time approach of spending more time and leg work into getting into a better position.

Most of my work is landscape and the top five accessories for this in my opinion are
    1 a firm tripod
    2 a good head (I prefer ball and socket)
    3 a good range of ND grads
    4 sunrise/sunset chart (get into position for those golden hours)
    5 ordnance survey maps
    All five are available for less than some wideangles, OK perhaps the tripod and head will cost a bit more dependent on what you buy but are multi task useful

Some very good advice there.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.