Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D3200/D5100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kodachrome
1 Sep 2012 - 8:13 AM

OK, wait fot it, the D3S 'without' battery weighs, 1246g [2.7 lb], Phew!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2012 - 8:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
1 Sep 2012 - 10:31 AM

Quote: You would be far better off spending your money on good glass if you intend to stay with Nikon.

Nikon seems to have fewer lens issues than some other manufacturers. Even the 18-55, which must be the cheapest lens that they do, is a little gem of optical performance.

The performance of Nikon lenses with modest aperture seems as good as their wide-aperture brethren.

Hinksy
Hinksy  2 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 - 11:10 AM

I have every intention of staying with Nikon mainly because I have a large collection of Nikon Lens'es & batteries I also prefer Nikon to other makes but that is just my opinion.

I am in many ways hopeful that I do not find much difference in either the D5100 or D3200 from my D3100... I just want to see which one handles better with all the different images I want to do and which one feels more like a proper camera than a toy, which one I can grow my photography with for the next couple of years etc...

What lens would you recommend if I was to purchase a new one?

At the moment I have the following:

Nikon 18-55 (kit lens)
Nikon 40mm (micro)
Nikon 35mm (1.8)
Nikon 55-300mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 18-200mm
Tamron 70-300mm

I was looking at the 105mm macro and I did consider the 50mm 1.4 but I thought that the 50mm could be a waste with having the 35mm 1.8??

thewilliam
1 Sep 2012 - 1:04 PM

It depends on what you want to photograph.

If you were serious about sports photography, you'd want to use wide-aperture telephotos in place of the zooms: or with architecture, a tilt and shift wide-angle.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 1 Sep 2012 - 1:07 PM
Hinksy
Hinksy  2 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 - 4:10 PM

I do like sporst but not really had much opportunity to do any sports photography just yet but I suppose if I had a good lens, any recommendations of what is on the market at the moment?

I did buy the 10-20mm wide angle for my landscape photography which I have to say I have only had it a couple of months and it has transformed my landscapes into something spectacular.

rvoller
rvoller  233 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Sep 2012 - 10:08 PM

I would recommend upgrading your kit lens to a higher quality lens as when I did with my d3100 the image quality was improved by obvious amounts

Hinksy
Hinksy  2 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 - 9:13 AM

Teh Sigma 17-70mm looks a good lens, and appears to cover the same sort of range as the kits lens whilst being much sharper.

thewilliam
2 Sep 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hinksy, unless you have very heavily laden pockets, I'd suggest that you don't buy anything unless you're reasonably certain that you're going to use it. You can hire most kit and in many cases, the dealer will remit hire charges against the purchase price.

I've learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to buy kit first and then hope you find a use for it. A couple of years ago, I found a Hasselblad bellows unit for a very good price and thought I'd be doing lots of fine-art close-ups. It's been used just once!

Sports lenses are seriously expensive. You'd have to pay about 5k for a nice used 500mm but you could get most of your money back when selling it. Now that the Olympics are over and the Paralympics drawing to a close, long telephotos will be plentiful and cheaper.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.