Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D3200 or Canon EOS 550D ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
sluggyboy
sluggyboy  1 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 - 8:33 PM

hI,, I am off tomorrow to purchase my fist dslr , i have a budget !! been looking at both the D3200 and the EOS 550D Would very much like your thoughts ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Nov 2012 - 8:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3129 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 - 8:40 PM

Either
Get the one that feels best in your hands

sluggyboy
sluggyboy  1 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 - 9:11 PM

Not a majorly constructive reply , but thanks for your time ,,any more help guys ?

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3129 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 - 9:45 PM

it is the most honest of replies and given the question an entirely reasonable answer.
both can take fine pics so it will come down to how they feel in your hands and if you like the menu system

btw... i have a budget doesnt mean much unless you qualify it with a figure

sorry to not spend your money for youWink

Offertonhatter
16 Nov 2012 - 9:53 PM

Sluggy, it is a good reply, albeit short. But it is the best answer.

Now for me, I would go for the Nikon out of the two as it feels more rugged and has the better grip to the Canon (I am not a fan of the Canon build and grip, but that is me)

However, you may find that the Canon is the better one to suit your needs.

Now that big question is what do you want to get out of the camera? Do you want to shoot family, holidays, be creative, shoot in a studio, shoot sports etc. There is a lot of genres out there. Most DSLR's these days are very close in performance and you choose which camera suits your needs for what you want. The big difference comes down to lenses. Do you want to have all the lenses you could ever want, or stick to a small range of focal lengths.
Also, the processing of the data from the camera can give differences to the shot, slightly warmer, slightly richer, more true to life, more contrast, less contrast etc etc. But that is the fun about photography Grin

May I make a suggestion that before you decide on the default selection, that you also give a consideration to the Pentax K30 and the Sony A37. Both are more left field than the usual suspects. Pentax for example is fully weather sealed, and partnered with a sealed lens, allows you to shoot in any weather with excellent results. The Sony has the pellacle mirror where it has an evf rather than an ovf, but can give you some speed. Both will provide you with the ability to use some old lenses which you can get on e-bay (nikon is the same to some extent, Canon won't take the pre EOS lenses)

I am afraid it is not just the case of which is the best camera, but more of a case of which is the best for me.
But I would strongly suggest that you really try all the alternatives withing the price range, rather than the two usuals, before you make a decision. You may be surprised that you come home with something other than a Canon or Nikon. But on the other hand you may choose one of the ones you initially selected, and for that you have made the best choice for you.

I hope this helps. Grin

Newdevonian
17 Nov 2012 - 7:45 AM

Quote: Not a majorly constructive reply , but thanks for your time ,,any more help guys ?

I note your masthead statement "Hi new to photography so any helpful hints / tips would be very gratefully received."

TPFKAPM's answer was the best advice anyone could give, so your answer was a little less than gracious. Perhaps "tips would be very gratefully received." could be put into practice?

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 17 Nov 2012 - 7:47 AM
kodachrome
17 Nov 2012 - 8:21 AM

If its of any help, I use a Sony A37 and its the most user friendly DSLR [SLT] I have ever used, not to mention the fact that Konica Minolta AF legacy glass works on it as well.
The Pentax K30 was mentioned and I think that is another very user friendly camera.
The Nikon D3200 is a fabulous camera, if not a tad more noisy at high ISO so a couple of review sites reported. The Canon 550D is also a very good camera but my money is on the Sony or Pentax. This is just a personal preference. Read the reviews on the A37, It gets 5 stars from nearly every review site.

Steppenwolf
17 Nov 2012 - 8:49 AM

If I were buying a new system now I would be considering the latest CSCs - not DSLRs. Have a look at M4/3 - unless you've got a special reason for buying a DSLR.

Snapster
Snapster e2 Member 1100 forum postsSnapster vcard England
17 Nov 2012 - 11:15 AM

Just read the thread, so I'm a day late.
Lets us know what you got and why.

gjfereday
gjfereday  146 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 - 1:38 PM

Quote:- Canon won't take the pre EOS lenses!

What a load of poppy ****! I had exactly the same dilemma as yourself earlier this year & opted for the 550d! It's a fantastic camera & easy to use & it definitely uses the per EOS lenses, I use them regularly! In fact I'm using one now taking pics of my kids in the skate park!

I'm glad I chose Cannon & would recommend it as an excellent buy!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2012 - 9:10 PM

By pre-EOS, do you mean FD ones? Breechlock ones? In which case, you must be using an adapter, manual focussing and guessing the exposure?

Nick

onetrickpony
22 Nov 2012 - 12:24 PM

Quote: Get the one that feels best in your hands

I agree. The main difference between different entry level DSLRs is how they handle. To expand:

- Ask someone how to change the aperture, shutter and ISO in full manual mode. These are the three settings you're going to be constantly fiddling with you need to be able to change them all comfortably whilst looking through the viewfinder.

- See which one looks nicer to you, has better build quality etc.

- Look at all the brands, not just Canon and Nikon. The weather sealing on the Pentax K30, which Offertonhatter mentioned, is a much bigger advantage than marginally better performance at ISO 6,400, or whatever it is camera review sites are obsessing over these days.

Niknut
Niknut e2 Member 4395 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 3:26 PM

I've tried both cameras.....& my test shots were rather disappointing from both cameras !!

Both suffer from 'noisy' images (grainy), from ISO 400 upwards, particularly in the darker/shadow areas !!

The Nikon results simply weren't sharp ??, but that could be down to the kit-lens ?

The Canon results were very sharp in comparison, but still 'noisy' ?

Result ?....I didn't buy either, the quality of the results simply weren't up to scratch !!!!!!

It might be a bit late ?......but hope that helps !!

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 12:23 PM

I am in the same boat (so to speak) I use a Nikon D300 and looking to upgrade - considering the 3200 or 5200 coming onto the market in December!

I have a very good friends using the Nikon D7000 and he is a very happy bunny, he had the D300 prior to his new toySmile

Last Modified By pluckyfilly at 25 Nov 2012 - 12:26 PM
pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 12:26 PM

Should have said be careful, I bought a NEX on recommendation and for me it did not feel I had a camera in my hand, obviously NOT for meSad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.