Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon D4 - Why do you need one?

csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Jan 2012 1:26PM
I am curious as to what excites people in the spec of the D4.

On the thread started by Cole a number of members said that they have placed their orders. I also know quite a few other Nikon users that have pre-ordered. When the D3s came out the high ISO was truly ground-breaking compared with both competitors and Nikon's own line up. What feature in the new D4 is the equivalent of that?

What excites you about the D4?

Why is this a must have camera?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Jan 2012 1:53PM
Doesn't matter, knowing you, I am sure you will have one too......Tongue
Graysta 9 1.1k England
8 Jan 2012 1:57PM
What excites me about the D4 is that it has taken so long to replace a superb model.
I have a very early D3 and a D700 both are still going strong and give me all the results I need at this time, I don't do video and some of the biggest prints i do are A1 both camera's will do that.

If i buy another body at this time it will probably be a D3s.

Quote:Why is this a must have camera?

If you have mastered the handbook and the D3 or D3s then you must buy a D4 for sake of insanity
but i bet this wont apply to many owners.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
8 Jan 2012 2:08PM
I don't and neither does any other studio-based photographer, with the possible exception of Canon owners. The D3 and D3X do the job well enough and their secondhand value will soon go into free-fall just like the D2Xs which is also a fine studio camera.

If I want high resolution, I'll use medium format.
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2012 2:11PM
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Jan 2012 2:35PM
As a late convert to digital, my progression through Nikon dSLRs has been d80 to D300 to D3s.

Haven't yet found any reason to upgrade further but, if I do find that there is something important that I absolutely need to be able to do and the D3s can't manage but the D4 can, then I might be open to conversion. Looking at the specification, I can't yet imagine what that might be.

But never say never. After all, it's only a few years since I was saying that I could not see any reason to "upgrade" from film to digital and only a few months since I eventually sold my RB67 and FM2n.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
8 Jan 2012 3:11PM

Quote:Nikon D4 - Why do you need one?

I certainly don't Cheryl - and I would seriously question who does - outside of any full-time, Pro photojournalist who has hung their hat on the Nikon peg.

Quote:What excites you about the D4?

Nothing that I can't get from a D700 / D3 - or my D300 for that matter!

Wink
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2012 3:16PM
Would be interesting to hear from the members who have pre-ordered, as to why.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Jan 2012 3:38PM

Quote:Looking at the specification, I can't yet imagine what that might be.

Which kind of sums up how I am feeling about the D4.

Of course there are times when 16mp would come in handy. But not enough at the moment to justify 4.8k

When the D3s was launched I was excited although I did not pre-order. What I did know was what the camera offered in addition to existing models that made it desirable and the situation that would make that a justifiable upgrade.

I was heading to Finland to photograph the bears in Autumn. So the shooting window was very short in terms of hours per day. Thus the justification to buy the D3s was simple. The phenomenal ISO capabilities generally gave me an extra 10-15 minutes at either end of the sessions. Over 5 days that adds up!

Not saying at some time I won't buy one, but right at this moment more likely to buy a second D3s.
8 Jan 2012 4:01PM
The best D4 summary I have found is at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11673-12223
There is something there for most photographers.
Whether any photographer "needs one" is separate to the D4 being more than a minor upgrade.
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
8 Jan 2012 4:04PM

Quote:I am curious as to what excites people in the spec of the D4.

What excites you about the D4?

Nothing.

I am more than content with my D300 with a pawltry 12MP sensor. I am attached to my cheap, scratched and rattly Sigma lenses so there wouldn't be any benefit in bolting a super douper camera to them except draining my bank balance and perhaps showing up the collection of dust that has settled behind the front lens glasses....

Grin
csurry
12 9.2k 92
8 Jan 2012 4:11PM
Here's the main item of interest for me:

A revised 51-point Multi-CAM 3500FX AF system that integrates a new AF sensor module. The new AF sensor, which is 20% more light sensitive than its equivalent in the D3S, is capable of low light focus acquisition down to levels as dim as EV-2 (compared to the D3S' EV-1). The D4 is also the first Nikon digital SLR that's able to autofocus with lenses or lens + teleconverter combos whose maximum aperture is f/8.

But not enough to make me part with the money for now...
thewilliam 6 4.9k
8 Jan 2012 4:21PM
It was interesting to read that the D4 uses a battery that looks similar at first glance but is actually different from that used in the D2 and D3 series. Photographers that also use earlier cameras are going to have to be very careful indeed.
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
8 Jan 2012 4:41PM
66 years old with specs cos my eyesight is bad and I still focus a camera better than a 51 point sensor...why...cos I focus where I want and change that focus point when I want...as for exposure, nothing has changed in modern camera terms to beat my own personal internal computer for fine decision making...why do I use a d90 then...I can no longer get quick quality film processing or reliable materials quickly to do it myself so I use digital and make the best of it!!!!...a D4?...without doubt NOT worth the money to me..... and most of us if we are truthfull
8 Jan 2012 5:15PM
Difficult to improve on D3s, yes it will be slightly better, but five thousand quid better? Every now and then I will go "dam if I had a D4 I would have got that!" but not that often.
You're better spending on opportunity, now that will reap loads of shots.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.