Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D4 - Why do you need one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
8 Jan 2012 - 7:58 PM

Quote:
You're better spending on opportunity, now that will reap loads of shots.

That's a very interesting point Tim.

In April/May I will be spending a couple of months photographing in western USA. That trip will probably cost me something similar to the price of a D4 and I would have to agree that it will almost certainly be a better use of my s.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2012 - 7:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TimMunsey
TimMunsey e2 Member 386 forum postsTimMunsey vcard United Kingdom
8 Jan 2012 - 8:01 PM

Nice one, so jealous! Cameras are so good now, but we haven't got the being in the
right place at the right time button yet Smile.

Outlander
Outlander  472 forum posts
10 Jan 2012 - 3:32 PM

If theres a glut of used D3/D3s on the used market then prices will fall,supply and demand simple but what if the demand for these cameras is high and not many are being traded in/sold to upgrade to the D4 which i think might be the case due to the 4700 price tag,hang on to the cameras chaps second hand prices are going to rocket.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123913 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2012 - 4:04 PM

I personally feel at the moment I do not want a D4; undoubtedly the latter may take better pictures than my current D3S but I am unconvinced that any difference will be significant enough for me to cough up the s; in any case the pattern seems to be that the price will drop significantly over the next 18 months, moreover the D4 launch may create some very attractive s/h D3S prices if the shiny box brigade rush and buy the D4.

thewilliam
10 Jan 2012 - 4:42 PM

Nikon and Canon have to launch something special in time for the Olympics. It's only a matter of time before they release a 600mm f2.8. Zeiss did a special 1700mm f4 in Hasselblad fitting for one of the oil sheikhs who's a keen wildlife photographer.

We vulgar professionals tend to buy what we really need. I know plenty of studio-based portrait photographers who still use the D2X and D2Xs and get great results.

Peter, let the amateurs be the first to get the D4 and give thanks that so many of them buy. If Nikon didn't make so many, the price would be way beyond our reach.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123913 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2012 - 4:43 PM

lol @ William Grin

User_Removed
10 Jan 2012 - 7:07 PM

Quote: I personally feel at the moment I do not want a D4; undoubtedly the latter may take better pictures than my current D3S but I am unconvinced that any difference will be significant enough for me to cough up the s; in any case the pattern seems to be that the price will drop significantly over the next 18 months, moreover the D4 launch may create some very attractive s/h D3S prices if the shiny box brigade rush and buy the D4.

....and how long, Peter, before they launch a D4s and a D4x? About 18 months max on past performance.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2012 - 9:36 PM

There doesn't appear anything that jumps out about the spec, just like the 1DX spec. Thinking back through the last 18 months of using the 1d4, I can only think of two occasions where I missed a shot that I might have got with a camera capable of focusing focus better in low light (and I spend a lot of time shooting fast erratic moving subject in low light), and that is the only area of the spec that would benefit me I think. New AF system on both - I would wait for that one to be proven in the field anyway before parting with any cash. I think for now, these are unnecessary upgrades. The XQD card slot had me thinking, perhaps.. then Lexar came out with the 1000x CF card which would address some slight performance concerns about write speeds for RAW at a much lower cost.

peterjones
10 Jan 2012 - 9:37 PM

& Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, who said buy your DI gear tomorrow or yesterday but never today? Smile

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2012 - 11:53 PM

I am really pleased that the D4 came out, I bought my D2x 4 years ago as the D3 came out. Now I'll soon be able to afford a D3 or even a D3s so that I can at last use my 20mm properly again Smile

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 - 8:13 AM

Quote: , but five thousand quid better?

Where do you get that Wink
It is about 400 more than a D3s in Nikon's January 2012 price list http://www.nikon.co.uk/customer_services/brochure_request/pricelist/files/ukpric...
Obviously Nikon and retailers are not going to heavily discount a new high end pro sports body 6 months before the Olympics - but by September it is likely to be below 4,000 compared to 3,550 current street for a D3s.
33% more MP, better AF, better DR, likely better high ISO noise, better video etc for about 10% more money seems realistic to me.

TimMunsey
TimMunsey e2 Member 386 forum postsTimMunsey vcard United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 - 3:01 PM

Len my man that's pure speculation, current price of D4 is 4.8K from Wex photographic, I do think it will drop to 4.5K but if the last year or so is anything to go by there it will stay, that's my speculation. You're also comparing current price of D3s with a forecast price of the D4, that's not a level playing field. Still, I guess your aim is to justify your own purchase so any argument goes, if I had the dosh I'd be doing the same Grin.
So far the high ISO noise looks very on par with the D3s from samples circulating at the moment, as Nikon said they are now concentrating on resolution not image noise. Do you do video? Yet to explore that personally.
The DR is definitely improved as the D4 does HDR in camera (only jpg or Tiff though).
Looking forward to see your D4 pics.

Tim

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 - 8:52 PM

Quote: You're also comparing current price of D3s with a forecast price of the D4,

Not so. I quoted Nikon's suggested prices as of this month as 4,382 for the D3s and (provisional) 4,799 for the D4 - a difference of less than 10%.
The D3s pre the D4 announcement UK street was around 3,550.
At some point (my forecast Autumn) the D4 should come below 4,000.
My forecast point is not long after the Olympics, part because of the recession, and part because Nikon are likely to give FX turnover a high priority. This I think would be due to first the earthquake, followed by the Thailand flood loosing maybe 50% of DX body and lens production over a 5 month period ending late March 2012.
I have already had 2 offers of free items in a package if I order early - UK retailers are suffering right now.

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2012 - 8:58 PM

Have Nikon pressured UK retailers to not discount their cameras in the same way as was reported in USA?

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2012 - 9:03 PM

Quote: Peter, let the amateurs be the first to get the D4 and give thanks that so many of them buy. If Nikon didn't make so many, the price would be way beyond our reach.

Glad we humble amateurs are helping to prop you pros up in these hard times! WinkWinkWink

Not that I will rushing out to by the lusted after camera though! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.