Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D4 - Why do you need one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2012 - 11:13 PM

I don't mind anybody propping me up in these economic uncertainties: amateurs, pros, anybody really ... all welcome Grin

Last Modified By peterjones at 11 Jan 2012 - 11:13 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jan 2012 - 11:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2012 - 11:23 PM

LOL... !!!!

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2012 - 11:26 PM

Peter, in time honoured tradition, is it not about now I offer you 50 for that obsolete camera you carry around Wink

thewilliam
11 Jan 2012 - 11:32 PM

When I was an amateur, I always had far more money to spend on cameras. Nice kit always gave me pleasure - nowadays, as a professional, it's just a bag of tools!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 11 Jan 2012 - 11:32 PM
peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2012 - 6:41 AM

I have missed your oh so generous offers for my useless obsolete stuff I hump around with me John; I will give the matter some thought Grin

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2012 - 9:53 AM

I think John is possibly offering a tad more than the market value of your kit, Peter! WinkGrin

Last Modified By Just Jas at 12 Jan 2012 - 9:53 AM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jan 2012 - 10:00 AM

If you want a D4, but don't want to pay the s, then persumably in 6 months time the D800 will be along, offering 90% of the D4 for 50% of the price.

Of course, thats just speculation.....

User_Removed
12 Jan 2012 - 10:07 AM

Quote:

Of course, that's just speculation.....

True - but maybe not too far from the mark.

Now that might be an attractive proposition. Wait for the D800 then sell the D3s to pay for it. By that time there should be enough informed opinion and data available to know whether the "advances" are pertinent to anyone's projected use of the camera.

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2012 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
True - but maybe not too far from the mark.

Now that might be an attractive proposition. Wait for the D800 then sell the D3s to pay for it. By that time there should be enough informed opinion and data available to know whether the "advances" are pertinent to anyone's projected use of the camera.

excellent idea. And since I really can't begin to imagine what you need video or 173 point autofocus for as I don't use a lot of the one point let alone dozens of them I'm looking vey much forward to the D3s coming out of the woodwork

peterjones
18 Jan 2012 - 11:08 PM

John strangely always offers me more than the market value of my gear Grin little does he know ... tee hee Grin Grin

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  486 forum posts Scotland
21 Dec 2013 - 7:31 PM

Thought it might be interesting to revive this thread.

I've recently bought a used D4. 12000 actuations, studio work, mint condition, spare nikon battery, 2x16 gb XQD cards and a card reader. 3500 from Ffordes (great service by the way).

Why did I want one and what was it that I saw in the camera over a D3?

1. For starters I don't own a D3. I had a D2x and still have a D200. I don't want to upgrade at every generation of cameras because I'm not rich but a used D3s in Grays (similar condition) was 3200 so price difference is minimal. In fact with my freebies I reckon mine was cheaper.

2. I am amazed at the difference in autofocus with the D4 over the D200. Chalk and cheese. Ditto high ISO.

3. My old gear is on the way out and I'm not impressed with the current crop of DX cameras. Had there been a D400 I'd probably have bought that instead.

Just my tuppence worth!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
22 Dec 2013 - 7:53 AM

Quote: Thought it might be interesting to revive this thread.

2. I am amazed at the difference in autofocus with the D4 over the D200. Chalk and cheese. Ditto high ISO.

Reviving some of my earlier comments I was part wrong about below 4,000. It is now around 4250 with either over 250 of freebies or up to 500 extra with part exchange, which is near enough below 4000.
Your comment on the D200 is interesting as it was my first Nikon Digital. I agree with you on AF. In addition dynamic range and resolution are also like chalk and cheese compared to the latest DSLR's.
I do not own the D4, but will hire one when le tour passes the street where i live.
The forecast in the thread of something 90% as good at half the price within 2 years brings to mind the just out Nikon Df Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.