Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon D40 ... your views

28 Feb 2007 11:55AM
I'm interesting in purchasing a Nikon D40 to go along with my Canon 350D and Panasonic FZ30, mainly to get a Nikon in my fold too lol!

I'd appreciate your views/comments especially from D40 owners who've been using it. I intend going for the Nikon 18-135mm lens to go with it. So pour it out pls ... pluses and minuses.

thanks,
Joe

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHorne 9 1.0k
28 Feb 2007 12:01PM
Without getting into a Nikon vs Canon debate, why start investing in kit which is incompatible with what you already have ? Surely the money would be better spent on additional lenses or other accessories to go with your existing gear. You risk ending up wanting to use a lens that fits one camera with a flash that's dedicated to the other, for example.

John
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2007 12:04PM
I'd sell the 350D - buy a 30D and add to your lenses.

Dan
User_Removed 10 3.3k Russian Federation
28 Feb 2007 12:11PM
Like the others, I don't see the point... You already have a Canon and lenses, so why not spend your money upgrading and improving the gear/system that you already have?
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
28 Feb 2007 12:27PM

Quote:...mainly to get a Nikon in my fold too lol!

Eh? What would you gain from that?

Doug
Brenty 8 12 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2007 12:32PM
You need to be aware that the D40 only works with certain Nikon lenses ie those with built in lens motors. Something I have found to my cost.

That said as I a beginner I found the D40 great to learn from.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
28 Feb 2007 12:57PM
Got to agree with all that has been said " Why mix your brands " one body type is much the same as the other, I'd go with Dan's idea and get yerself a 30D, IF you must upgrade your camera body, BUT an investment in a really good lens for the 350D will probably yeald you better value for money, TRY something like a Canon 17 - 40 L, lens and be prepared to be blown away by what your 350D can do with some decent glass.

I am speaking from the Nikon camp by the way, So this comment is not Canon biased, You can pick up a 17-40 L for around the 400 quid mark.
Leif 9 722
28 Feb 2007 1:02PM
Speaking as a Nikon user, I agree with cameracat, and others. How about a nice Canon 10-20mm zoom?
zeon2001_uk 10 135
28 Feb 2007 1:26PM
While on the one hand yes it will be incompatible with your current system, on the other hand you do get one bonus. Having a Nikon body means you could use Nikon only optics, for example defocus control lenses, or a decent superzoom like the 18-200.

Having said that if you're just going for the D40 + 18-135mm I dont see why you'd do that, surely Canon have something similar?
1 Mar 2007 11:37AM
Thank you all for your interesting feedback.

While not wishing to depart from the 350D (which is a very good camera and serves me well), nor from the FZ30 (a good handy quick shooter), I am still tempted to branch out into another DSLR system. Just for the record, I am no pro and classify myself as an advanced amateurist, so photography to me is mostly fun and experimentation. As I see it, enjoying the best of both worlds (Canon and Nikon) should lead to interesting comparisons reviewing results from both cameras on my PC screen.

My initial query remains unaddressed so far - I requested feedback/comments on the Nikon D40 as a camera, and views on the Nikon 18-135mm lens. Shoot them down if need be, both D40 owners and would-be D40 buyers, or Nikon owners if need be ... I am simply after frank opinions on the camera and lens, without wanting to create or overspill onto the typical Canon vs Nikon perennial debate.

So, therefore, I would sincerely appreciate objectivity on my topic raised.

Thanks and regards to you all,
Joe
Leif 9 722
1 Mar 2007 12:14PM
cambirder 10 7.2k England
1 Mar 2007 12:20PM

Quote:While not wishing to depart from the 350D (which is a very good camera and serves me well), nor from the FZ30 (a good handy quick shooter), I am still tempted to branch out into another DSLR system.

Well going by your PF, you are using the 350D with kit lens only, and IMO buying another (incompatible & lower spec) DSLR at this stage is pointless. Spend the money on one really good lens.
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2007 12:26PM
The D40 is a capable camera for the money - question answered Smile

Dan
Mottza 8 30
2 Mar 2007 12:02PM
If you want to get a Nikon then get a D50 while they are around (368 inc 18-55) or get a D70s (449 inc 18-70?).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.