Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D40 error

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

greatdog
greatdog  6 England
29 Nov 2011 - 12:28 PM

My nikon d40 has packed up after 3 yrs,it has an error saying press shutter release i have tried everthihg i know including hints from various web sites,but the shutter sounds clunky and keeps getting the same error message,camera repair places want ridiculous money to just look at it!so it seems i will have to save my pennys but i have lost faith in nikon.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Nov 2011 - 12:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saxon_image
29 Nov 2011 - 2:29 PM

OK - it appears to be a problem with lack of lubrication of a gear train if the web is to be beleived. If you are brave repair instructions are here. Probably more sense to contact an authorised Nikon Repair Centre - see list here.

Paul

greatdog
greatdog  6 England
29 Nov 2011 - 2:32 PM

I tried lubricating the gear train it made no differance.

saxon_image
29 Nov 2011 - 4:47 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like a job for the Nikon Repair Centre then.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
29 Nov 2011 - 5:04 PM

Quote: Silicon Grease or a can of WD40

Sad

That's terrible advice. WD40 is destructive to some plastics i.e. it dissolves/weakens them. Unless you know the composition of all the plastics it may come into contact with then you risk causing worse damage. I found hat to my cost years back when I used it to clean contacts in a camera battery compartment. When I next checked it the WD40 had melted the plastic that held the contacts in place. Polycarbonate (used with glass fill in many plastic engineered components) and polystyrenes are both at risk from WD40.

Jestertheclown
29 Nov 2011 - 5:10 PM

Quote: WD40 is destructive to some plastics

I didn't know that.

I used it for years to lubricate just about every moving part on a motorcycle at some point and it never harmed anything that I squirted it (liberally) all over.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 7:54 PM

We were not permitted to use WD40 on any airplane parts because it is highly corrosive.

Jestertheclown
29 Nov 2011 - 9:29 PM

I'm really quite surprised by this Denny.

I must have been really fortunate but I've never encountered a problem with it.

Not that I'd take it anywhere near a camera, mind you but it served a thousand purposes in my motorcycle riding/racing days.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 10:08 PM

Quote: My nikon d40 has packed up after 3 yrs,it has an error saying press shutter release i have tried everthihg i know including hints from various web sites,but the shutter sounds clunky and keeps getting the same error message,camera repair places want ridiculous money to just look at it!so it seems i will have to save my pennys but i have lost faith in nikon.

No offence meant, but the D40 was released on 12th january 2006.... thats nearly 6 years ago.... i wouldnt expect a camera to last that long, so for it to go that time, would make me quite pleased.

Save the pennies and get something newer, or send it to Nikon to be repaired.... doing it yourself will more than likely cause more damage, and you may end up throwing it in the bin.... Ring Nimon and ask them what they think it might be, and see if they have some kind of rough guess as to the cost to repair.... at least you will have something to go on. Smile

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
29 Nov 2011 - 10:28 PM

Quote: I took off the 8 screws at the botton plate and the screw hidden at the edge near the batery (you have to take off the battery).
After taking off the botton plate I saw a red gearwheel and I move it in any direction.. then I put the battery and Viola!!.. worked... then I put back the botton plate... seems that the gear is part of the mechanics of the shutter that probably was stuck.
I Hope this helps, but remember my D40X was out of guaranty, because of that I dared to open it.

found this - if you're brave enough, or if you were thinking of scrappping it - worth a try? Smile

greatdog
greatdog  6 England
30 Nov 2011 - 6:41 AM

Thanks for the help and tips,I put silicone grease not wd-40 on the cog wheel and my D40 is only just over 3yrs old! thats why i would have hoped for a bit more use out of the camera!.

BigRick
30 Nov 2011 - 6:51 AM

i didnt realise it had such a long run, but just found out that it finished in march 2009! I guess three years is not that long, but then i guess there are many factors that can affect the life of one.

How often do you use the camera? and how many shutter activations has it had? and what sort of environment does it work/live in?

greatdog
greatdog  6 England
30 Nov 2011 - 7:50 AM

How do you see how many shutter activations my camera has had?.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2011 - 9:20 AM

Quote: thats nearly 6 years ago.... i wouldnt expect a camera to last that long,

WHAT???
I've heard of built in obsolescence but that is ridiculous!
I have a 30 year old Olympus OM1n that still works as good as new despite heavy use, & I'm sure there are plenty of other people with even older cameras that still work fine.
I can understand an electronic fault occurring over time but a properly made mechanical system should last a lifetime.

BigRick
30 Nov 2011 - 7:31 PM

i didnt mean that cameras cant last that long, i just mean that i expect electrical stuff to fail these days.... i change things after a few years even if they are not broken, because i would rather sell them working, that bin them because they have broken. I cant be bothered with repairs, as they are FAR to costly, when compared to buying another one. (on older stuff) . Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.