Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D400

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Graeme_R
Graeme_R  5 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2013 - 1:07 PM

Any news on this logical upgrade from a D300S?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Aug 2013 - 1:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91033 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2013 - 2:19 PM

Only rumour, rumour, and more rumour. Latest I heard is that there may be an announcement in early September.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
17 Aug 2013 - 2:54 PM

I think that some of the rumour mills are now wondering if the D7100 now substantially fills the niché that a D400 might have aimed at. 'Twill be interesting to see.

Graeme_R
Graeme_R  5 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2013 - 3:49 PM

If only that were true! A D400 would surely have a more durable body, and not suffer the D7100's limited buffer which restricts continuous shooting. Oh for a 24MP sensor though Wink

RavenTepes
17 Aug 2013 - 4:15 PM

With the D800 in place, I can see Nikon holding out for something interesting for a D400...Something, maybe pushing 30mp, give or take.

richmowil
richmowil e2 Member 5259 forum postsrichmowil vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2013 - 5:09 PM

Quote: With the D800 in place, I can see Nikon holding out for something interesting for a D400...Something, maybe pushing 30mp, give or take.

Hope you've got inside information and are correct!!

Dukatum
Dukatum  1 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2013 - 9:06 PM

why do you want 30MP? 18/24MP is more than enough.
Rather have faster FPS, faster processsing, bigger buffer, WIFI built in, GPS built in, weather sealed, and greater noise control (so not such high MP)

Gundog
23 Aug 2013 - 11:48 AM

Quote: Why do you want 30MP? 18/24MP is more than enough.

Says who?

I think we all thought that before better sensors were readily available. Now we might say that the 36Mp of our D800s are enough.

But, of course, we will change our mind as soon as a 72Mp FX sensor or a 48Mp DX sensor arrives.

Bear in mind that post-exposure photographic processing is essentially data processing - and the more data we have available, the greater the processing opportunities we have at our command.

thewilliam
23 Aug 2013 - 2:34 PM

This race for ever higher pixel count is just a cunning plot to make us buy newer and more powerful computers!

Gundog
23 Aug 2013 - 3:49 PM

Quote: This race for ever higher pixel count is just a cunning plot to make us buy newer and more powerful computers!

Yep. My ZX Specrum is really straining at it's seams now.

But I do love that sound of the program loading from the cassette deck!

Blush

THUNDYBUM
THUNDYBUM  529 forum posts England
2 Sep 2013 - 7:59 PM

more buffer please on a d400 similar to the flagship model so you can shoot raw and fine jpeg at full rate for more than 4 seconds aghh and 6fp sec... and two models with an option to remove the filter as in the d800 and the three into one shooting mode to greatly expand the lattatude of the sensor if santa is listnening..asappppppp

Gundog
2 Sep 2013 - 11:32 PM

Quote: ... and two models with an option to remove the filter as in the d800

A common misunderstanding. The D800E is not a D800 with a filter removed. It is a D800 with an additional filter.

RavenTepes
3 Sep 2013 - 10:45 PM

A few days ago, I read that Nikon produced a new sensor model that has a variable AA filter, which is encouraging. It would render the whole D800 - D800E buying options irrelevant, as you can choose to go full on AA filter, or complete lack there of. The article also said it can be adjusted to anywhere in between, in increments.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2013 - 10:00 AM

Well, as my insurance company have just signed off on replacing my broken D300 with a D300s, I would say that a D400 release is almost guaranteed within the month Wink
EDIT: I just read the comment by thewilliam. Valuable point; I tried downloading the full res sample image for the D800e from the download section, and making my own edit caused my computer to freeze everytime I added a third layer on photoshop!

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 4 Sep 2013 - 10:04 AM
scottishphototours

Quote: Why do you want 30MP? 18/24MP is more than enough.

I remember an Epson rep at a talk at Focus around 2002 saying that 6Mp was as much as anyone would EVER need - and he showed us prints to prove it. He maybe correct.....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.