Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D50 with kit lense whats it worth?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

McGuigan89
6 Jan 2013 - 9:59 PM

Hello there new to the forum signed up for the forums to learn some new skills and to enhance my photography skills, wouldn't class myself as a beginner have been taking photographs at rallies as long as i mind now but you always wanna learn new tricks, I have a Nikon D50 with the kit lens that ive owned for about 2 years now was a camera i bought to get me into proper photography but now i'm looking to sell it and help fund an upgrade for me and i'm just wondering whats it worth to anyone?

Cheers Ryan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2013 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gingerdougie
6 Jan 2013 - 10:16 PM

To guesstimate what your kit is worth have a look on e bay.Or alternatively look a reasonable second hand site like Ffordes.
Mind do not build your hopes as camera bodies lose value like motor cars.

McGuigan89
6 Jan 2013 - 10:20 PM

cheers for the reply wasnt really building my hopes up wasnt dear when i bought it , would rather someone get the use out of it just than have it sitting under my bed collecting dust

User_Removed
6 Jan 2013 - 10:34 PM

Ask these guys.

EddieAC
EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 10:34 PM

There are D50's going from between 84 - 129 on MPBPhotographic.co.uk.

You could try there if you are happy with a similar price and they do part exchange so you could use that to get a better camera body.

Another option would be to place an ad in the classifieds on this site.

EDIT: Mike is quicker on the draw than me GrinTongueWink

Last Modified By EddieAC at 6 Jan 2013 - 10:35 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 11:00 PM

Quote: 84 - 129 on MPBPhotographic.co.uk.

LOL Smile That's what they are flogging them for, Buying in or a PX deal your likely to get around 35 quid tops....Sad

Fleabay is a good way to out it, Or raffle it at your local pub, Either of these might just make a tad more...!!!

Of course there is the old free to a good cause option.....Just gotta find a good cause....Sad

Whatever, Good luck with it anyhow....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 6 Jan 2013 - 11:01 PM
thewilliam
6 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM

You might be better off to keep the D50 as a walkabout camera because it's a lot smaller and lighter than higher-end models and you might not get much by selling it. The 18-55 kit lens is amazing for its price so I use one for walkabout.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 6 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
7 Jan 2013 - 7:43 AM

In the background basic cameras are costing less. The current entry-level D3100 with kit lens is 320 new http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod.php?n=NikonD3100LensKit18-55mmVR&p=1...
You would be a lucky to get half that in a trade in. For a D50 a very good deal depending on what to you want to buy would be half again, around 75. Finding a retailer prepared to give a trade in on old entry level kit and good prices on new seems like looking out for a needle in a haystack.
If it is in good condition you might get 100-115 after 20% commission using someone like Ffordes. Ffordes can often achieve good prices before commission as they take credit cards and give buyers a warranty

Stillbase
Stillbase  258 forum posts Wales
7 Jan 2013 - 9:28 AM

I bought a D50 in early 2006. But each time I've "upgraded" I've kept the D50. I now use it as a second camera with my Tamron 28-300 lens to save me changing lenses in the field. I also agree with other comments that the 18-55 is an excellent lens and that the combination is nice and light. After a while I have found that it can get a bit miserable lugging round a heavy camera/lens combination particularly on a bad day - in fact I got rid of my D300 primarily because of that.

EddieAC
EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2013 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote: 84 - 129 on MPBPhotographic.co.uk.

LOL That's what they are flogging them for, Buying in or a PX deal your likely to get around 35 quid tops....

Yeah I didn't think of it that way at the time....Smile

User_Removed
8 Jan 2013 - 10:41 AM

Put them on eBay - the camera and lens separately - each with a starting price of 99p. You will get what the market decides they are worth and, certainly, far more than any secondhand dealer will offer you. I recently put my Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 lens on eBay with a start price of 99p and got 14 bids going up to 745 for it. (which delighted me).

thewilliam
8 Jan 2013 - 1:10 PM

Sometimes an item that starts at 99p sells for 99p!

User_Removed
8 Jan 2013 - 4:04 PM

Quote: Sometimes an item that starts at 99p sells for 99p!

Not if it is worth more and competently listed and described. Starting at 99p has the advantage of no initial listing fee and attracting a lot of buyers. Remembers that, by a million miles, eBay is the biggest camera marketplace in the world and if you are going to get "market value" anywhere, it is there.

bsld50
bsld50  3 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 8:55 PM

Hi

First post. Guess the value depends as well on its use. It sounds like its little used, therefore more or less mint with very low shutter count. I purchased a D50 body 2nd hand for my daughter. It had a shutter count of 2300, and I paid 90 for it. Absolutely mint, and far better value than buying a new 3100 which she wanted to do. Now, a few months later expect about 80-100 on eBay. Probably more with the kit lens.

Just my thoughts

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 - 12:05 PM

For what your likely to get either trade in or flea bay I would keep it as a back up the kit lens is a really nice lens much underated

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.