Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D5100

4 Jun 2012 6:09PM
Guys,

Im hoping for a little bit of help. I am a newbie and just purchased myself a Nikon D5100 and I think I have some issues, maybe user error or maybe (I hope not) faulty camera. Let me explain.

I have left the setting on auto, everything is on auto but I am unable to take pictures. It keeps trying to focus and the screen flickers (im looking through the viewfinder not the screen). Sometimes it clicks and takes the picture and sometimes it doesnt. And even when it does sometimes the picture is blurry or dark or not in focus.

I know when the picture is in focus the green square will appear and im able to take the picture and through the viewfinder the circle in the bottom left stops blinking.

Im unsing the D5100 with a 18-55mm lens. On one of the pictures it took outside (which came out dark), the photo data was showing :- ISO 125 Auto, Focal Length 5mm, Lens 18-5. Very strange. It has done this on a few pictures.

Can someone assist and shed some light on this???

Zeus

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Jun 2012 7:00PM
Hi

I suggest you reset all of the camera settings back to default mode, by turning the camera on and then holding down the "menu" and "information" buttons together for a few seconds - they are both on the back of the camera and both of them have green dots by them. This should reset all setting in the camera back to their default mode which means the camera should work OK. If that doesn't cure the problem it sounds as if you have a faulty camera, but lets hope not.

Best of luck

Bill
4 Jun 2012 7:52PM
That hasnt worked. The screen flickers a bit and wont allow me to take the picture.
EddieAC e2
10 696 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2012 8:11PM
Try removing the lens and put the camera in manual mode "M". With no lens cap on try taking some photos.

You should get some white blank photos. Is your camera then taking photos everytime? If so then you may have an issue with the contacts between lens and camera. Try cleaning the contacts on your lens and in the camera to see if this helps.

Also do you have another lens or know someone you can borrow a lens from to try? That way you can help narrow it down to either your camera or the lens. The data you describe is unusual and may indicate a lens issue.
4 Jun 2012 8:40PM
EddieAC,

Thanxs for your reply. I took the lens off and I was able to take blank photos. The camera is not taking photos all the time. On occasion it wont allow me to pull the trigger. It will just bleep. Im assuming its not in focus. But when I try and focus the camera it still wont allow me to.

I do have a 55mm-300mm lens also and it did it on that couple of times. I havent used it recently. The data is unusual as Im not using the 18-5 lens, there aint no such lens. Why is it showing me a 5mm lens also??? Very confusing.

Zeus
EddieAC e2
10 696 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2012 11:39PM
Hmmm. It does sound like some sort of communication problem maybe caused by a loose contact. As it is happening with a second lens would mean the problem is most likely with the camera. The fact it is showing an 18-5 lens attached is rather odd. It could suggest there may be a problem on the circuitboard somewhere with some data not being read and this could lead to the strange exif reading and the problems you describe.

The good thing since you have just purchased the camera is it will still be under warranty. The best solution would be to return the camera to the vendor and get a replacement. Did you buy from a high street store or online?
5 Jun 2012 12:33PM
I bought it whilst on holiday in Miami. Only bought it 2 weeks ago.

Zeus
EddieAC e2
10 696 2 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2012 2:24PM
This is a problem as the camera will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty in the U.K as you purchased it overseas. You can still send it to Nikon for repair but you will be charged for it. You could still send it back to Nikon U.S.A I guess but there will be risks involved in that and maybe risk getting hit by import duty on it's return.
6 Jun 2012 3:07PM
Just another quick update. When I put the lens on manual focus (from the lens) i am able to take pictures both with the dial on Auto or on manual.

I think its a problem with autofocusing??

Zeus

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.