Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR and Microphone Announced

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3583 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
20 Apr 2011 - 12:52 PM

Full review now online:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d5100-digital-slr-review-16109

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Apr 2011 - 12:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tarakesh
Tarakesh  2 India
14 Jul 2011 - 3:45 PM

Sir, Hats off to your excellent detailed review.
I'm an enthusiast considering Nikon D5100 and Canon EOS 550D as they are priced closely. However, I'm really unable to settle down with either of themGrin. Could you please let me know the best option according to you and if possible please post a comparison of both.
I would want Excellent Image Quality, Accurate color reproduction, consistent performance in all lighting conditions. Mainly, choice of lenses with a strong orientation on low price...
550D has a depth of field button - How far this button is useful.
Nikon has no dedicated ISO button - How often does a beginner or an enthusiast get to change the ISO? How good is D5100s Auto ISO?
Please solve my dilemma.. People say Canon's colors are best.. Nikon's user interface isn't so good...

darranl
darranl  4318 forum posts England
14 Jul 2011 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Nikon has no dedicated ISO button

No but if it is like the D5000 you should be able to assign the button next to the lens to be the ISO button.

Fredella
Fredella  2
19 Jul 2011 - 3:46 PM

The D5100 allows photographers of all levels to confidently execute new and creative ways to tell stories with amazing color and clarity. Whether shooting high over crowds or down low to a toddler’s point of view, the swing out style Vari-angle LCD screen makes it easy to compose and share great images. Displaying even the most subtle details with clarity, the super sharp LCD has a 1000:1 contrast ratio and 921,000-dot resolution, with the ability to rotate 180 degrees horizontally and vertically.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3583 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
22 Jul 2011 - 10:29 AM

Quote: Sir, Hats off to your excellent detailed review.
I'm an enthusiast considering Nikon D5100 and Canon EOS 550D as they are priced closely. However, I'm really unable to settle down with either of themGrin. Could you please let me know the best option according to you and if possible please post a comparison of both.
I would want Excellent Image Quality, Accurate color reproduction, consistent performance in all lighting conditions. Mainly, choice of lenses with a strong orientation on low price...
550D has a depth of field button - How far this button is useful.
Nikon has no dedicated ISO button - How often does a beginner or an enthusiast get to change the ISO? How good is D5100s Auto ISO?
Please solve my dilemma.. People say Canon's colors are best.. Nikon's user interface isn't so good...

Hi Tarakesh - I think the best advise is to try both cameras if you can, as the feel of the cameras is quite noticeably different - the Nikon is really rather compact and the 550D (and 600D) is larger in the hand, so it would be down to personal preferences.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.