Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D600 & D800 teleconvertors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mixipix
    mixipix  1 Australia
    13 Nov 2012 - 11:28 PM

Hello everyone. Could someone out there confirm that The Nikon D600 allows the use of a 2x teleconvertor on any max f4 lens therefore making it a f8 lens. If this is true is it also a feature on the D800. Look forward to hearing all about it.
    Cheers Mixipix

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Nov 2012 - 11:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

The teleconverors (from Nikon) have a standard Nikon mount, so would fit on any Nikon body. However not every lens is compatible with a convertor

mixipix
    mixipix  1 Australia
    14 Nov 2012 - 12:53 AM

Thanks Paul. I'm fully conversant with Nikon TC's, but until recently for full AF AE functionality the lens had to have a max set aperture of F2.8 for a TC 20llE to work. But I'm now led to believe that this is not the case if using the new D600 where it will work with a max aperture lens of F4. Is this so and does it also apply to the D800 is my question?
    Until recently only F4 lenses (like the 300 f4 AF-S) could only use the TC 1.4llE with full AF AE functionality. The TC 20llE would not work with a F4 lens. CheersSmile

GarethRobinson
    14 Nov 2012 - 8:36 AM

Yes it will work

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    14 Nov 2012 - 9:44 AM

There is a difference between "allows" AF - and allows AF to a good standard.
    Just about any AF point on any Nikon body can AF at effective f8.
    The f8 AF may be slow, not work in low contrast light, may not work in low light, and focus tracking may be no faster than walking speed.
    On the other hand just about every wildlife photographer knows that for more than a decade in good light Nikon AF has been decent at effective f8. I first got "reasonable" f8 AF with the F100 when I went Nikon in March 1999.
    Probably the major detail is Nikon does not regard this level of f8 AF as good enough for professional sports use.
    Turning to D600 and D800 either can AF to Nikon's minimum standard at f8 with limitations.
    The D800 has the more comprehensive AF performance with cross type f8 central point and 10 other centralblock f8 AF points single direction f8 detection.
    I do not have the D600 brochure.
    Edit the D600 brochure confirms 1 cross and 6 other f8 points http://www.europe-nikon.com/tmp/EU/2419865273/3760176746/2327365364/27184057/139...

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 14 Nov 2012 - 9:49 AM
    mixipix
    mixipix  1 Australia
    15 Nov 2012 - 1:09 AM

Thanks for that link Len and answering my question. There has been a shift in Nikon techology AF points so the answer is yes with a 2X convertor on a f4 lens.Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.