Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D600

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
triumph
triumph  5 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 - 3:04 PM

Hi not used to this site but tried to check if anyone has asked this question. I am waiting not very patiently to be able to purchase my new Nikon D600, however reading the results of the dust issues it appears to have. Is there anyone out there who has found this to be a problem, and how difficult is it to clean the sensor. thankyou

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Nov 2012 - 3:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 4:08 PM

All DSLRs have dust issues, The amount and to what extent depends on the climate your expose them to.

Dust is NOT a big deal these days, You either learn to do it yourself ( My preferred option ) Or you get ripped of by so called experts, Nikons own service department is one of the best and cheapest, If you just want a quick service and clean up, Turnaround is good to.

Learning to clean your own sensor is not as hard as you might think, Once you have had a go, You'll be more confident and wonder why you have not done it before.

If you remember the Canon 5D MkI, It had loads of peeps whining about dust getting on the sensor, This never stopped the camera from taking fantastic images, Widely used all over the planet, Pretty much all owners coping with a little dust bunny now and again, Without breaking into a sweat.

Self cleaning kit....I can highly recommend " Visible Dust " products, Be that wet or dry, Not cheap to buy initially, But one kit will clean the same camera for years, The saving over having it done by the 40 or 50 quid a time merchants, Can add up to 600 or 700 squid, For the price of One Visible Dust Kit at around 50 of your hard earned.

Choice is yours though.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 22 Nov 2012 - 4:11 PM
JohnParminter
22 Nov 2012 - 4:23 PM

Quote: however reading the results of the dust issues it appears to have.

What issues exactly Triumph? I'm interested to learn.

John_Wannop
John_Wannop e2 Member 952 forum postsJohn_Wannop vcard Wales
22 Nov 2012 - 5:04 PM

I have a D600 and after the first few shots it had loads of marks on the sensor, just gave it a wet swab and It's been fine taken over 2500 since with no issues.

I recommend getting some kind of sensor loop it makes it much easier to see what you are doing.

JohnParminter
22 Nov 2012 - 5:26 PM

Does it have the old sensor shaker John?

triumph
22 Nov 2012 - 5:57 PM

I am keeping my eye on the price of the Nikon D600 daily waiting for a little more price drop, nearly bought it also 2 weeks ago with kit lense and 85mm 1.8 lense but the shop could not supply exactly what required. However yesterday I read that the camera has severe dust issues this person tested it taking 500 shots of a white piece of paper and it progressively got worse and he had not changed the lense so it was obvious to be coming from the camera itself. I obviously dont really want to be having problems if and when I buy, but I am sure Nikon will sort this problem out. I have never had this issue with my Olympus E620, but I am looking forward to go full frame and the D600 sounded to fit the bill. Just a worried bunny who does not want to spend a lot of money and be disapointed

sausage
sausage  10234 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 8:43 AM

Many people have not had any issue at all. But even if you do get the shop to clean it for you.

RoyChilds
RoyChilds e2 Member 655 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
23 Nov 2012 - 9:18 AM

price dropping again Sad no dust as yet Smile

triumph
23 Nov 2012 - 3:24 PM

Hi has the price dropped yet again? I would like to think so, I was seriously parting with a lot of money for the camera and 2 lenses

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 - 5:47 PM

Quote: yesterday I read that the camera has severe dust issues this person tested it taking 500 shots of a white piece of paper and it progressively got worse and he had not changed the lenses

Often the sort of web comment you refer to is closer to garbage than reality Sad
Sorry to mention another site but dpreview found slightly more dust than they consider normal after 4 weeks use.
They gave it a wet clean and have yet to comment on 6-8 weeks use.
Some "contamination" after 4 weeks use is normal - the sensor clean menu option to operate every start up removes any dust other than "pollen" type with a sticky surface.
If you are in UK and buy from a UK source you are entitled to an exchange or money back (your choice) from the retailer if you recieve a defective product.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2012 - 9:16 PM

If it helps Thom Hogan has some info. It sounds like an issue of contamination in the factory, a fairly likely cause so if you get one with it some cleaning may well fix the issue.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 - 7:34 AM

Quote: if you get one with it some cleaning may well fix the issue.

In the UK on a UK sale if you buy any obviously defective product you are entitled to an exchange or refund (the buyers choice) from the retailer.

KNS
KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 11:38 AM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/21/nikon-d600-dust-timelapse

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/10/23/nikon-d600-sensors-dust-spots-caused-by-a-gap-...

The above 2 links show the the cause of potential spotting issues on the D600 sensor, and proof of such potential issues in the real world....

User_Removed
25 Nov 2012 - 10:18 PM

Quote: However yesterday I read that the camera has severe dust issues this person tested it taking 500 shots of a white piece of paper and it progressively got worse and he had not changed the lense so it was obvious to be coming from the camera itself.

Why would you take any notice of anyone who cannot spell "lens"??

Seriously though, Nikon did seem to have a few "dusty factory" problems with the D4, D800 and D600 although, oddly, not all at the same time or in the same factory. But, as has been mentioned above, it is not a significant problem. If you do get a dusty one, a single cleaning seems to sort it. I was fortunate with my D800 and had no dust problems when it was new. Over the space of 7 - 8 months, as would be expected of any dSLR, the sensor started to show a few dust spots and I did what any owners would do - cleaned it myself with totally satisfactory results. To be realistic, you do have to expect (depending upon usage) to clean a dSLR sensor a couple of times a year.

OK - we did not have this problem in our film SLR days - principally because we used a "fresh sensor" for each and every shot!

By the way, you do not have to change lenses to get dust into an SLR body. Even focussing or zooming a lens, by changing the internal volume, can draw dust in. Also, don't expect too much from built-in "dust removal" mechanisms. All they do is shake the sensor - the dust just gets moved around a bit.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Nov 2012 - 10:23 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2012 - 11:40 PM

Quote: By the way, you do not have to change lenses to get dust into an SLR body. Even focussing or zooming a lens, by changing the internal volume, can draw dust in. Also, don't expect too much from built-in "dust removal" mechanisms. All they do is shake the sensor - the dust just gets moved around a bit

I seven years I`ve only needed to clean a sensor once, they make a big difference.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.