Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D600

triumph 5 18 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2012 3:04PM
Hi not used to this site but tried to check if anyone has asked this question. I am waiting not very patiently to be able to purchase my new Nikon D600, however reading the results of the dust issues it appears to have. Is there anyone out there who has found this to be a problem, and how difficult is it to clean the sensor. thankyou

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Nov 2012 4:08PM
All DSLRs have dust issues, The amount and to what extent depends on the climate your expose them to.

Dust is NOT a big deal these days, You either learn to do it yourself ( My preferred option ) Or you get ripped of by so called experts, Nikons own service department is one of the best and cheapest, If you just want a quick service and clean up, Turnaround is good to.

Learning to clean your own sensor is not as hard as you might think, Once you have had a go, You'll be more confident and wonder why you have not done it before.

If you remember the Canon 5D MkI, It had loads of peeps whining about dust getting on the sensor, This never stopped the camera from taking fantastic images, Widely used all over the planet, Pretty much all owners coping with a little dust bunny now and again, Without breaking into a sweat.

Self cleaning kit....I can highly recommend " Visible Dust " products, Be that wet or dry, Not cheap to buy initially, But one kit will clean the same camera for years, The saving over having it done by the 40 or 50 quid a time merchants, Can add up to 600 or 700 squid, For the price of One Visible Dust Kit at around 50 of your hard earned.

Choice is yours though.....Wink
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
22 Nov 2012 4:23PM

Quote: however reading the results of the dust issues it appears to have.

What issues exactly Triumph? I'm interested to learn.
22 Nov 2012 5:04PM
I have a D600 and after the first few shots it had loads of marks on the sensor, just gave it a wet swab and It's been fine taken over 2500 since with no issues.

I recommend getting some kind of sensor loop it makes it much easier to see what you are doing.
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
22 Nov 2012 5:26PM
Does it have the old sensor shaker John?
22 Nov 2012 5:57PM
I am keeping my eye on the price of the Nikon D600 daily waiting for a little more price drop, nearly bought it also 2 weeks ago with kit lense and 85mm 1.8 lense but the shop could not supply exactly what required. However yesterday I read that the camera has severe dust issues this person tested it taking 500 shots of a white piece of paper and it progressively got worse and he had not changed the lense so it was obvious to be coming from the camera itself. I obviously dont really want to be having problems if and when I buy, but I am sure Nikon will sort this problem out. I have never had this issue with my Olympus E620, but I am looking forward to go full frame and the D600 sounded to fit the bill. Just a worried bunny who does not want to spend a lot of money and be disapointed
sausage 10 267 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 8:43AM
Many people have not had any issue at all. But even if you do get the shop to clean it for you.
23 Nov 2012 9:18AM
price dropping again Sad no dust as yet Smile
23 Nov 2012 3:24PM
Hi has the price dropped yet again? I would like to think so, I was seriously parting with a lot of money for the camera and 2 lenses
23 Nov 2012 5:47PM

Quote:yesterday I read that the camera has severe dust issues this person tested it taking 500 shots of a white piece of paper and it progressively got worse and he had not changed the lenses

Often the sort of web comment you refer to is closer to garbage than reality Sad
Sorry to mention another site but dpreview found slightly more dust than they consider normal after 4 weeks use.
They gave it a wet clean and have yet to comment on 6-8 weeks use.
Some "contamination" after 4 weeks use is normal - the sensor clean menu option to operate every start up removes any dust other than "pollen" type with a sticky surface.
If you are in UK and buy from a UK source you are entitled to an exchange or money back (your choice) from the retailer if you recieve a defective product.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2012 9:16PM
If it helps Thom Hogan has some info. It sounds like an issue of contamination in the factory, a fairly likely cause so if you get one with it some cleaning may well fix the issue.
25 Nov 2012 7:34AM

Quote:if you get one with it some cleaning may well fix the issue.

In the UK on a UK sale if you buy any obviously defective product you are entitled to an exchange or refund (the buyers choice) from the retailer.
KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 11:38AM
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
25 Nov 2012 10:18PM

Quote: However yesterday I read that the camera has severe dust issues this person tested it taking 500 shots of a white piece of paper and it progressively got worse and he had not changed the lense so it was obvious to be coming from the camera itself.

Why would you take any notice of anyone who cannot spell "lens"??

Seriously though, Nikon did seem to have a few "dusty factory" problems with the D4, D800 and D600 although, oddly, not all at the same time or in the same factory. But, as has been mentioned above, it is not a significant problem. If you do get a dusty one, a single cleaning seems to sort it. I was fortunate with my D800 and had no dust problems when it was new. Over the space of 7 - 8 months, as would be expected of any dSLR, the sensor started to show a few dust spots and I did what any owners would do - cleaned it myself with totally satisfactory results. To be realistic, you do have to expect (depending upon usage) to clean a dSLR sensor a couple of times a year.

OK - we did not have this problem in our film SLR days - principally because we used a "fresh sensor" for each and every shot!

By the way, you do not have to change lenses to get dust into an SLR body. Even focussing or zooming a lens, by changing the internal volume, can draw dust in. Also, don't expect too much from built-in "dust removal" mechanisms. All they do is shake the sensor - the dust just gets moved around a bit.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Nov 2012 11:40PM

Quote:By the way, you do not have to change lenses to get dust into an SLR body. Even focussing or zooming a lens, by changing the internal volume, can draw dust in. Also, don't expect too much from built-in "dust removal" mechanisms. All they do is shake the sensor - the dust just gets moved around a bit

I seven years I`ve only needed to clean a sensor once, they make a big difference.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.