Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D600 price

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Sep 2012 11:17AM

Quote:Not seen that before Pete, really impressed with it.

Thanks...another one of our million hidden features Wink

We've added a quick overview of the D800 vs D600 which has the comparison spec table attached

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redhed17 e2
9 680 England
13 Sep 2012 11:34AM

Quote:I was going to get a D600 but the price is too high for the spec. If the USA price is c.$1500 then the 2k plus seems to be a bit of a rip off!

Quote:T'was always so. But don't forget that the USA price excludes sales tax - which has to be added and varies from state to state. The UK price is inclusive of VAT at 20% and import duty.

The US price is $2000+. We're still getting ripped off, but not as much as people think. Wink
Consulo 10 815 10 Scotland
13 Sep 2012 11:37AM
I knew it. I knew it, knew it, knew it!

All this talk of the D600 being a low-price entry into the world of full frame photography, the thought that was always in the back of my mind would be 'Sure, it might be cheap, but I bet that us UK potential buyers will get a price hike.'

This is typical of electronic goods that go on sale in this country, and it's getting very tiresome indeed. Why on earth are we expected to keep paying over the odds for products that everywhere else seems to get for a much cheaper price? Do these companies assume that everyone in the UK has loadsa money?
13 Sep 2012 11:39AM
The new Nikon D600 has been launched...and the pricing for this model is £1,955.00 which is only £300 approx. less than the D800 model which is a real shame. Not sure Nikon have got their pricing right (they have left a £1,000.00 gap between the D7000 and D600 but this does suggest a new camera will be out to replace the D300s shortly - D400 perhaps?). Think I would need to consider getting the D800 unless the D600 significantly drops in price.

In fairness to Nikon, the RRP of the Nikon D800 at launch was around £2599 and now down by £300 approx. so I would expect the D600 to be around the £1,700 mark by January 2012. Mind you, procamerashop.co.uk are now selling the D800 at £2,097.99 (only just over £100.00 more than the D600!). Here's the link:

Procamerashop.co.uk

What do others think?
Stickleman e2
4 45 3 England
13 Sep 2012 11:43AM
Been waiting months for this and the price has really p****d on my chips.Think I'll consider a D700,or maybe even switch to Canon and get a 5DII now.
Kako e2
8 143
13 Sep 2012 11:49AM
If you are very brave and believe that the world will end in Dec 2012 you can get a FF D600 for free! Some companies are offering no deposit 6 months grace before payment due...get one next week at no cost and get several weeks/months use before TSHTF et voila another one ticked off your 'bucket list' just in the nick of time. Fantastic.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
13 Sep 2012 12:55PM
A bit confused on the specs.

Quote:Effective Magnification 0.7x

what does that mean?
thewilliam 6 4.9k
13 Sep 2012 1:00PM
In the Grays of Westminster newsletter, the D600 is billed as the smallest and lightest ever full-frame Nikon. That has to make it attractive to a lot of folks.
hobbs e2
10 1.2k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 1:10PM

Quote:In the Grays of Westminster newsletter, the D600 is billed as the smallest and lightest ever full-frame Nikon. That has to make it attractive to a lot of folks.

Would that be the women folk? Wink (Gets coat, suitcase, passport and runs for the airport)
13 Sep 2012 1:44PM

Quote:In our equipment database you can find each camera by searching D600, D700 and D800 and in each case tick the compare box. Then click on the compare link and see the specifications side by side. It's an interesting comparison.

I notice that neither of your comparison methods indicates the fact that AF micro-adjustment has been left off the D600. This is quite an important feature to a lot of people - those who want accurate focus anyway.

Nikon have a nasty habit of pointless "product differentiation" where they leave out important features on some models presumably in order to nudge people into buying the more expensive model. It completely beggars belief that Nikon have left this feature out of a near £2k full-frame DSLR. I'd advise anybody thinking of buying this camera to go through its specs with a fine-tooth comb to see what else has been left out.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
13 Sep 2012 1:49PM

Quote:Nikon have a nasty habit of pointless "product differentiation" where they leave out important features on some models presumably in order to nudge people into buying the more expensive model.

Nikon is by no means the only manufacturer which does this
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Sep 2012 1:52PM

Quote:I notice that neither of your comparison methods indicates the fact that AF micro-adjustment has been left off the D600.

True that's because we don't have that specific spec in our database. And I think it should be given that many cameras now have the option. I'll add it to the focus section as AF Fine Tuning. So the cameras will soon be updated.

Actually it looks like the D600 does have fine tuning.

Quote:Autofocus Nikon Multi-CAM 4800 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, fine-tuning, 39 focus points (including 9 cross-type sensors; the center 33 points are available at apertures slower than f/5.6 and faster than f/8, while the center 7 focus points are available at f/8), and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5-3 m/1 ft 8 in.-9 ft 10 in.)
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 2:38PM
The D600 has been launched at a list price value that is £600 less than the D800 but we all know they creep the list price up each time and that they sell for hundreds less than list price once the bunch of people who will pay the high price have coughed up to be first in line, so expect it to be £700 less than the D800 in @ 6months time.

In its favour it is a lighter camera as well, a full frame D7000 is not a bad idea. it makes the old 5D MKII look good value for money though. As for leaving things out well they have to do something to get the price down Smile As long as it is not turning off software features, that is not so good.
13 Sep 2012 2:48PM

Quote:Actually it looks like the D600 does have fine tuning.

DPR says it doesn't - but they've been wrong before. It does seem a daft thing to leave out of an FF DSLR.

DPR comparison between D800/D600:
•24.3MP Full-frame CMOS sensor (compared to 36.3MP CMOS)
•10.5MP DX-format crop mode (compared to 15.3MP)
•39-point AF system with 9 cross-type AF points (compared to 51-points, with 15 cross-type)
No AF micro-adjust function (D800 allows micro-adjustment in +/-20-step increments)
•Autofocus sensitivity down to -1EV (compared to -2EV)
•Maximum 5.5fps continuous shooting in FX mode (compared to 4fps in FX mode)
•2,016-pixel RGB TTL exposure metering sensor (compared to 91,000 pixels)
•2x SD slots (compared to CF+SD)
•No 'Power Aperture' aperture control during movie shooting (offered by D800 using Fn + Preview buttons)
•Shutter rated to 150,000 cycles (compared to 200,000 cycles)
•Magnesium-alloy top and rear, polycarbonate front-plate (D800 is full mag-alloy except flash housing)
•USB 2.0 interface (compared to USB 3.0)
Leif e2
9 722
13 Sep 2012 3:18PM

Quote:The D600 has been launched at a list price value that is £600 less than the D800 but we all know they creep the list price up each time and that they sell for hundreds less than list price once the bunch of people who will pay the high price have coughed up to be first in line, so expect it to be £700 less than the D800 in @ 6months time.

The D800 was a game changer, as it had better than D3x resolution, in a pro body at half the price. Not surprisingly it flew off the shelves, and only now have the waiting lists gone. I can but hope that demand for the D600 will be less, and the price will drop more rapidly.

Canon have long had a policy of stupidly high initial prices for the higher end cameras, and a rapid drop to a more sensible price. Perhaps Nikon have learnt a trick from Canon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.