Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D600 price

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 3:41 PM

hmmmm.... I will ask again:
10-capture.jpg
What does 0.7x mean?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Sep 2012 - 3:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 4:57 PM

Is it indicating it has a small viewfinder. i.e it is a smaller viewfinder than the D800 one??

Steppenwolf
13 Sep 2012 - 4:59 PM

It means that the image in the OVF will appear smaller than that of the D800 - because they've used a smaller pentaprism I guess.

An OVF with 100% magnification means that you get the same angular view as with a 50mm lens (on a FF camera). The D600's will be smaller. They've tried to make it lighter by using a smaller pentaprism (although it's still heavier than the A99) but you've got a smaller image in the OVF. It should be brighter though Grin

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 13 Sep 2012 - 5:01 PM
strawman
13 Sep 2012 - 5:19 PM

The A99 is heavier(812g) than the D600 (760g). Both numbers including batteries.

User_Removed
13 Sep 2012 - 5:26 PM

Here's the summary specification from Nikon:

Quote: 24.3-megapixel FX-format (full-frame) CMOS sensor with excellent signal-to-noise ratio and wide dynamic range. Delivers richly detailed images with smooth tonal gradations.

Highly sensitive autofocus with Multi-CAM4800 39-point AF system: delivers fast and precise coverage across the frame. Sensitive down to -1 EV and compatible up to f/8.

ISO 100–6400: extendable up to 25,600 (equivalent) and down to 50 (equivalent). Enables faster shutter speeds for finely detailed images with minimal noise.

Multi-area D-Movie records FX- and DX-format Full HD (1080p) movies in 30p, 25p and 24p. Max recording time approx. 29 minutes 59 seconds. Offers uncompressed HDMI output to external devices and high-fidelity audio control.

EXPEED 3 image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.

HDR (High Dynamic Range): ideal for high-contrast scenes. Takes two shots within a single shutter release to create an image with an extremely wide dynamic range, low noise and rich color gradation.

Active D-Lighting: capture more detail in high-contrast lighting conditions. Nikon’s Active D-Lighting automatically retains the details in both dark and bright areas for stunning images with natural contrast.

Scene Recognition System: the camera’s image sensor and its 2,016-pixel RGB sensor provide precise data to the Scene Recognition System, which optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released for sharply defined images.

Time-lapse shooting: use Interval Timer Shooting to trigger the shutter at preset intervals. Use Time Lapse Photography to save images as movie files and view slow action in fast playback, with playback rates from 24 to 36,000 times faster than normal.

Picture Controls customize the look of your stills and videos by fine-tuning parameters such as sharpness, saturation, and hue before capture.

Precision 8-cm (3.2-in.), 921k-dot, VGA LCD monitor with automatic monitor brightness control. Delivers bright, crisp image playback with a wide color reproduction capacity.

High-performance viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and 0.7x magnification. Offers DX Crop Mode with viewfinder marking.

5.5 fps continuous shooting: capture fast-moving action at five-and-a-half frames per second.

Quiet shooting mode: perfect for discreet photography, the sound of the camera’s mirror return mechanism is noticeably reduced.

Mirror balancer: minimizes the bounce of the mirror’s down movement, extending viewing time and allowing more time for AF operation—one reason the D600 achieves AF and focus tracking even during high-speed continuous shooting.

Compact, light and durable: built to withstand severe conditions, the camera boasts magnesium alloy top and rear covers and weighs only 760 g (without battery). Weather-sealed to the same degree as Nikon’s professional D800 SLR, it offers enhanced resistance to moisture and dust.

Dual-axis electronic virtual horizon: you can confirm the camera's position relative to the horizontal plane and its pitch (forward or rear rotation) using the LCD monitor, or the viewfinder.

Twin SD card slots: two SD memory card slots offer enhanced shooting flexibility. Use the second card when the first is full, or record stills on one and movies on another. SDXC and UHS-I compatible.

Wireless transfer: Nikon’s optional WU-1b Mobile Adapter lets you share images directly from the D600 to a smartphone or tablet, or to control the camera remotely via your smart device*.

The way I see it, someone with a D7000 (or below) wanting to move up to an FX sensor might well favour the D600. Anyone with a D300(s) wanting to go FX is more likely to favour the D800. They really are different market segments. But plenty scope for moving between them. Comparing launch price with launch price and taking account of inflation, the D600 is cheaper than the D700 was and, presumably, will follow the same street-price differential in due course.

strawman
13 Sep 2012 - 5:28 PM

Edit time are DPREVIEW getting their numbers wrong?, they show D600 as 760g including batteries Nikon say 850g, I wonder what A99 weight is on Sony spec??? This site would say Sony lighter at 812g,but is that camera without batteries???

quick to the scales Pete.

I agree with LeftForum. Its the sort of full frame camera I would want. Smile In fact dust off a slightly better AF module onto the 5D MKII and it would do....

Last Modified By strawman at 13 Sep 2012 - 5:30 PM
Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
13 Sep 2012 - 5:29 PM

Quote: Hmmmm.... I will ask again:

What does 0.7x mean?

I think it indicates the degree of magnification of the image from the lens. Thus a 1.0x viewfinder will show you an image the same size as the image on the sensor. A 0.7x one will show a smaller image, possibly 0.7x as wide, assuming a linear magnification factor.

A 100% viewfinder is simply one that shows all of the image recorded on the sensor, except they are not easy to make as you have to make sure it is aligned. 95% viewfinders typically have a slight offset, as the manufacturers do not align it accurately, assuming they do not need to. To see this, take a photo, display on the LCD, then look through the viewfinder. The edges will not be the same. Use a tripod of course!

Steppenwolf
13 Sep 2012 - 5:43 PM

Quote: The A99 is heavier(812g) than the D600 (760g). Both numbers including batteries.

I think you're wrong. D600 figure doesn't include batteries. It's pretty close anyway, but if the D600 was lighter than the A99 I'd guess that Nikon would call it the lightest FF camera - not the lightest Nikon FF camera. The A99 isn't much heavier than the A77 - which it shouldn't be when neither have a flappy mirror or pentaprism.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 13 Sep 2012 - 5:47 PM
strawman
13 Sep 2012 - 5:50 PM

I have seen conflicting numbers so hence my thought to ask Pete to weigh them both with batteries . Congratulations to Sony if its lighter.

Not too serious Pete there will be bigger issues to think on Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 5:52 PM

I see what it means now. Ta

dandeakin
dandeakin  6187 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 7:34 PM

The pricing is bizarre. As has been said above, I can't understand why anyone would preorder one when for £150 more you could have a D800 tomorrow.

I also can't understand why anyone who would spend £2k on a camera would need / want the auto modes etc. I'm sure it will take great pictures though.

For those who were hoping to buy one for a lot less, then a second hand D700/5d2 for about £1150 seems like a bargain.

It does look like there's going to be space in the lineup for a D300s replacement, which is good news for those who have speculated the Nikon might have abandoned the 'professional' end of the DX lineup.

Last Modified By dandeakin at 13 Sep 2012 - 7:36 PM
User_Removed
13 Sep 2012 - 7:46 PM

Quote:
I also can't understand why anyone who would spend £2k on a camera would need / want the auto modes etc. I'm sure it will take great pictures though.

As I said earlier, it is a different market.

For every enthusiastic amateur like us (or even hard-up professional), there are a dozen wealthy non-photographers who want the status symbol of the latest dSLR with a Nikon badge but don't know about - or want to learn about - things like shutter speed, aperture or depth of field. Basically they want a high-status point-and-shoot.

The D600 looks tailor-made for them.

It reminds me of the American "lady" I met on a ship in the middle of the Tasman Sea a couple of years back. There was a beautiful full moon and she was stood on the deck, clicking away at it with at least £5000-worth of kit. I was somewhat gobsmacked when she turned to me, disappointed with her efforts, and remarked, "I need a bigger flash. This one isn't bright enough to reach the moon."!

dandeakin
dandeakin  6187 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 8:49 PM

I'm sure that's true with the American market, but how often do you see people like that walking around the UK with spectacularly expensive camera's / glass?

The vast majority of people that I see seem to be carrying around the various manufacturers entry level bodies, where the auto modes etc make perfect sense.

I'm sure the D600 will sell well, I just can't understand who it's marketed at. If you're looking for a DX body it's not exactly a small step up (price wise) to 'just' get the D600 instead. And if your enthusiast looking for a 'cheap' way into Full Frame you might aswell save up an extra 5-10% more and get the spectacular D800 (or spend half the price on a D700/5D2).

gavrelle
gavrelle  230 forum posts England
13 Sep 2012 - 8:58 PM

mmm do i go for the 700 or 800. I have to say i am dissappointed with the 600, the price is unattractive, and its a consumer camera. Have to say i am dissappointed tonight

strawman
13 Sep 2012 - 11:05 PM

My thought is to wait and see where the camera prices are in 6 months time. I would expect the D600 to be in the @ £1,600 price bracket. Lets see how it performs.

I have seen plenty of examples where the starting price looks stupid but it falls. having said that if its only @ £200 less than a D800 sod it get the better camera. I would expect the people in for the D600 are more likely to be thinking of a D700 or a step up from D300/D7000

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.