Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D600 v D800

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Jan 2013 6:26PM

Quote:I reckon a dozen stitched from the D300 will beat a wide cropped D 800 shot every time.

Yes it will, but I'm fed up of spending hours stitching panos, whist know one sees the minute errors (and you know I'm picky Wink ), I know there there, so I end up spending ages with the clone and transform tools. It's not so bad with say 24mm but when you get to 16mm with all the lens distortions ..

Thanks Samuel, I'm not too bothered with online tech reviews, I know both will be more than what I need, just will I get annoyed with the different controls / lack of features on the D600, as for focusing, with landscapes it's not a problem, I do it manually anyway, for other work it could be - is it worse than the D700 (which I've never had a problem with, except very low light when I was at ISO4000).

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Jan 2013 6:48PM
Still reckon its a backward step in Pano terms, Nick. Personally 24 even 16mm won't cut it for a Pano. I find that the errors are few and far between on stitches unless its because I'm working too close without a Pano head. Most Panos take about four mins to stitch.

Buy a D800 but not to crop out wide angle lenses to create 'panos'.
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
5 Jan 2013 7:08PM

Quote:Buy a D800 but not to crop out wide angle lenses to create 'panos'.

I agree, buy the D800 plus an X-Pan for your panos then you'll be sorted Nick.

Smile
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Jan 2013 8:01PM
Lol... No I'm not getting an x-pan ( tho I have considered it John).

I know Keith is right, and I know I will still end up stitching some images. But I still maintain, say for moving scenes (seascapes etc) the crop will be the better option.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
5 Jan 2013 8:31PM

Quote:I reckon a dozen stitched from the D300 will beat a wide cropped D 800 shot every time.

I have absolutely no doubt that this is correct. But why stitch a dozen images if one, top and bottom sliced, is acceptable?

To be honest, since getting the D800 back in March I have not done any pano stitching at all and have been happy to top- and bottom-slice to produce a pano format. But I do not doubt that I could have got impressive results by producing the same scenes from several lower-res shots.
keithh e2
5 Jan 2013 8:58PM
Because the cropped shot will not compete and I would happily stand to be proven wrong. I posted a true Pano today and it simply could not be gotten with any lens on any camera.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Jan 2013 12:53PM

Quote:Because the cropped shot will not compete and I would happily stand to be proven wrong. I posted a true Pano today and it simply could not be gotten with any lens on any camera.

If you are referring to your MUDEFORD MORNINGS pic, Keith, then it is not really possible to tell without knowing the actual location and camera position. (Great pic by the way).

How much you can get in with a single shot obviously depends upon the angle of view of the lens. The Nikkor 14-24mm on a D800, for example, gives 114 at 14mm. The Sigma 8mm on a D800 gives a full 180 (although in the latter case you might lose a wee bit of it when correcting for lens distortion.)

keithh e2
6 Jan 2013 1:07PM
The Mudeford Pano covers over 180 and you're just not going to get that coverage with a single lens and retain an undistorted view...as you point out. In fact i am even using the epl - 3 for its weight on the pano head. 5 exposures x 20 images and leave PtGui to blend and stitch while i have a drink.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Jan 2013 1:15PM
Thats interesting Keith I have a pano head and its back in its box, as the D700 is way too heavy for it - I have an EPL-1 which I may just try this with
keithh e2
6 Jan 2013 1:25PM
I use the olly and also a Nikon P7100.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Jan 2013 1:28PM
The only problem with the epl1 is the auto bracketing is only +/-1 stop (I know I can do it manually, but it's a ball ache compared to the Nikon). But will certainly give it a go.
keithh e2
6 Jan 2013 3:53PM
You're getting lazy Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Jan 2013 4:36PM
LOL... Yep comes with age, so you tell me Keith Wink
keithh e2
6 Jan 2013 7:44PM
Can't be bovvered to reply Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
6 Jan 2013 7:47PM
Credit where credits due for an old git you take to new dangled gadgets well Wink

But I will give the only a run out with the pano head, may just have a run out to a local spot I use to test ideas - when we get some decent light!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.