Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D70 updated

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    marybal4
    marybal4  735 forum posts England
    9 Jun 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

I have a Nikon D70 that I love and cherish but I need to buy a new body to add to my lenses. Could anyone out there tell me what would be a good updated version of the D70 or better. I do largely sports (rugby, horses etc) but also outdoor private commissions.

While on the subject, if anyone has a good camera for sale second hand but in good nick, let me know....

Thank you
    Mary

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jun 2012 - 10:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    9 Jun 2012 - 10:39 PM

D70 = 'Magic'. I still have mine and wont part with it.

That said, I did 'jump ship' to a D200 and then a D300 Mary.

Frankly, I would recommend a D300 (or a D300s if you want the video capability). It will be a 'quantum' leap for you in quality-terms but, importantly, with out the need to spend a load of money unnecessarily.

MPB Photographic will be the best place to buy one IMO.

HTH's...

robs
    robs  10660 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 12:04 AM

Or a D7000 as another option. Second hand there is only 100 between them on MPB (just ordered a D7000 as a backup from there myself).

tepot
    tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2012 - 4:41 AM

I was considering a D90 or D7000 as an upgrade for my D70s, then a friend offered me a deal on a Canon 5D that i simply couldn't refuse....the rest as they say is history Smile

The D70s though is a superb little camera and i still use it, always nice to have a back up body though.

Terry.

gaelldew
    gaelldew  7267 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2012 - 11:15 AM

Bit too late Mary just sold my D80 only 7500 actuations to MPB.

loweskid
    loweskid  122042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 1:43 PM

Like Mike, I also started with a D70 and progressed through D200 and D300. Do yourself a favour and get the D300 - once you've used it for a while you'll never want to go back. As Mike says - a quantum leap.

There's possibly a D300/D300s replacement (D400?) coming out later this year, if you believe the rumours flying around the net, so if you are not in a hurry there might one day be a lot of D300s going relatively cheap. That's if the rumours prove to be true and you can afford to wait a while.

Edit: Bloody 'ell - I've just noticed I've got a '10 years on site' star - have I really been here for 10 years.....!!

Last Modified By loweskid at 10 Jun 2012 - 1:46 PM
    gus
    gus  10156 forum posts England
    10 Jun 2012 - 6:54 PM

I went from the D70 to the D7000, still have the D70 as a reserve, I must admit it doesn't come out much now, but there is a huge difference in quality between the two, just wish my skills where good enough to really take advantage Smile

Guy

Last Modified By gus at 10 Jun 2012 - 6:56 PM
    miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 7:13 PM

Hi Mary, Firstly you have made really good use of your D70, so am sure that whatever you get you will be producing equally if not better photos. Choice probably comes down to your available budget, and if you are looking secondhand or new. Any of the models mentioned above should serve you well, and from your portfolio, you can handle a camera really well.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7718 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jun 2012 - 10:42 AM

I cut my DSLR teeth on a D70, eventually replacing it with a D200. I no longer have it but have fond memories and some cracking images I got with it. As a replacement in terms of build and ergonomics you're probably looking at a D300 or D7000 (the D80/90 are probably more direct successors but they seem a bit antiquated now in comparison with extant models). I had a D300 [which was a quantum leap in quality over the D200] before I moved lock stock and barrel to Canon [5DII] after all my kit was wiped out by theft. I still miss the Nikon ergonomics to some degree. But I'd say for general purpose photography, the D7000 outclasses it [D300] simply because it's a much newer design ('m going on the paper specs because I've never owned a D7000). It's a win-win for you either way because you'll get more resolution and much better low-light performance from either choice.

As others have said there are strong rumours that Nikon are about to replace the D300s - which is now a very old design. Second hand prices should plummet once that happens.

marybal4
    marybal4  735 forum posts England
    11 Jun 2012 - 11:35 AM

So many thanks to all of you for your comments As always everyone has been so very helpful. I think I must wait a bit, save up a lot and get my self a D300 or better. That second hand website looks good!
    Many thanks everyone.
    Mary x

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.