Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D700

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 7:45 PM

Quote: I'd agree with Reichmann in that we need to carefully consider the intended use before choosing a lens. Zooms like the 24-70 are all very well when I'm working but when I'm not being paid to carry the lens, it's just too large and heavy. Likewise for my "professional" camera bodies.

In an ideal world, we'd have a range of lenses for different purposes. When walking, I'll carry the 18-55 kit lens or a couple of manual-focus primes with a D200 body in the full knowledge of their limitations. A competent photographer can get good pictures with pretty well any camera. The 24-120 was a serious contender for walkabout because it's fine with DX but it doesn't go wide enough.

I hope Im not speaking out of turn but it would be nice to see a few pics in your portfolio thewilliam to add some credibilty to your postsTongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2012 - 7:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
8 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Quote: the new version I considered for FX but saw the MTF charts you've saw and then read the real-life comments

Nikon's MTF is the new 24-120 wide open is better than the 24-70 wide open - Nikon are not going to publish MTF that is worse than reality Wink
I happen to own both new lenses - and do not rate either as good enough for high end work wide open in the corners at 24mm - but you can gleam that from Nikon's specification before buying either, or the 14-24, 16-35, 17-35 (seems still in production), or primes like the 20mm, either 24mm, 28mm f2.8, either 35mm or any of the 4 50mm.
On the other hand lenses like the 60mm G and 300 primes score very highly in Nikons MTF - and my copies perform better wide open than the 5 zooms mentioned above.
To me life is quite simply - there are several lenses not at their best wide open. If you need best quality at a specific high magnification stop the lens down 1 or 2 stops.

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7110 forum postsTrev_B vcard England64 Constructive Critique Points
17 May 2012 - 8:50 PM

I assume that the Nikkor 24.0-120.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 is the old lens being talked about here. This was the lens supplied with my D700 when I bought it back in early 2009, so I have been using it for three years and it's the lens that gets put on if I want a general fits all utility unit or for friends weddings. Granted there is better glass out there but it has rarely let me down....

Trev

Last Modified By Trev_B at 17 May 2012 - 8:50 PM
johnmac
johnmac  491 forum posts
17 May 2012 - 9:11 PM

Trev_B its the 24-120mm F4 lens. I have now been told delivery should arrive within 28days.

Railcam
Railcam  7472 forum posts Scotland
18 May 2012 - 9:39 AM

In answer to your question Trev_B, yes the 24-120/f3.5-f5.6 is the "old" lens, the quality of which was variable. A friend of mine had one which was quite good.

The newest 24-120/f4 VR is the one which is supposed have better image quality but the discussion seems to be about how much better. With so many different views I doubt we will get a consensus.

AussieInLondon
23 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Can't speak to any of the above. Just wanted to say I have, today, ordered the D700 body and the new version II of 17-200mm zoom VR. It will replace my D300s as far as the MAIN camera. I have a mixture of FX and DX lenses that I have been using with the 300s and as the last 3 lens purchases have been FX specific ( 35mm prime, 85mm prime, 60mm micro prime) I figured it was time to actually move UP to an FX camera. The beauty of the upgrade for me is that the battery is the same as the 300s. That will make 6 batteries when the 700 box arrives. The MD-10 will transfer effortlessly to the 700 and all the accessories I have bought for the 300s are fully compatible with the 700 too.

I can't wait for it to arrive and I get to see the FULL picture and experience the FX lenses at their best. I love the 300s and will keep it for doing minor backup work or even video for YouTube or whatever. It has served me very well.

I am a Nikon man and NEVER buy generic or other brand equipment for my cameras. I know that others mix 'n' match but I am just not wired that way. Not a judgment on those who do. Just not for me.

My journey with Nikon has been a joy from day one with the D60, then the fabulous D90 and, until today's purchase, the D300s. ALL of them have given me hours of pleasure out in the fresh air. Ironically, followed by hours of post work in Lightroom 4 and (latest purchase upgrade from 5.5) the Adobe Creative Suite Design and Web Premium CS6. Photoshop CS6 extended does work in minutes that used to take ages. And Lightroom 4 is just...amazing.

So, that is my Nikon story about the D700. I hope to post more and show some work of my experiences with it for you to comment on.

All the best to everyone,
AussieInLondon. Grin

Trev_B
Trev_B e2 Member 7110 forum postsTrev_B vcard England64 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2012 - 4:15 PM

As an aside there has just been a firmware update for the D700, I believe some new units are at the new level already. The new firmware is 1.03 and can be downloaded from Nikon.

Trec

Railcam
Railcam  7472 forum posts Scotland
24 May 2012 - 2:54 PM

The new firmware version for the D700 is A = 1.03, B = 1.02. I downloaded and installed it with no problem.
Keith

AussieInLondon
25 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for the "heads up" about the Firmware update guys. Good to know. I have been busy with the cash again (don't use credit) - bought the 14-24mm and the 24-70mm today. And that is where the wife has said WHOA, HALT, STOP. But that is okay. She has been pretty terrific to give me the latitude to indulge over the last few weeks. I will now have a fully Pro kit. Trouble is, NOW I have to prove to me and all you guys that I can shoot something worthy with it all. LOL.

Cheers,

johnmac
johnmac  491 forum posts
25 May 2012 - 9:23 AM

I'm still waiting for my 24mm-120mm f4 lens had my 700 nearly 4 weeks now and having to use my old DX lenses. Couldn't decide between that one or go for 24-70 f2.8 wish I'd have gone for 24-70 now I bet I wouldn't have to wait so long.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.