Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D700 and Sigma 50-500mm Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnmac
    johnmac  391 forum posts
    2 Apr 2013 - 8:10 PM

If I switch my D700 to DX format and use the Sigma 50-500mm non OS lens would it give me a longer reach than 500? I have been putting it on my DX camera to give me longer distance.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Apr 2013 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Trev_B
    Trev_B e2 Member 7101 forum postsTrev_B vcard England61 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Apr 2013 - 9:55 PM

Yes the crop factor of a DX would give the Sigma an effective 75-750 mm, assuming a 1.5 crop factor and that the Sigma is a full frame lens.

As a D700 user since they first hit the streets I would be very reluctant to go back to the DX format. A compatible 1.4 teleconverter would give a similar magnification at a fraction of the cost, albeit with a drop in f stop, the D700's capability of handling noise would allow you to increase the ISO to cover this reduction of f stop.

Trev

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    14 Apr 2013 - 11:55 AM

Quote: If I switch my D700 to DX format and use the Sigma 50-500mm non OS lens would it give me a longer reach than 500?

No.

Restricting sensor format does not increase the focal length of a lens.

In the situation you mention, why switch to DX format? Keep the camera in FX and then, if you wish, crop the resultant image at post-exposure processing. You will get exactly the same result but also have the wider image available if you want to use it (or any other part of it).

The only conceivable advantage of using the DX mode in an FX camera is either to save on memory card space or to allow faster "motordrive" for sports shots.

Trev_B
    Trev_B e2 Member 7101 forum postsTrev_B vcard England61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 1:08 PM

Sorry John I misread your question BlushBlush..... I assumed you wanted to switch to a DX format camera.... should have gone to spec saversWinkWink

Trev

johnmac
    johnmac  391 forum posts
    14 Apr 2013 - 1:12 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Just thought by switching it would act as a DX camera ins give me further reach as by swapping it over onto my DX camera and reduce the risk of getting dust on the sensor which I did. The in sensor cleaning didn't clean it lucky for me Calumet Photographic store in Birmingham do a twice annually free sensor cleaning and they got rid of the dust. By the way I had some really sharp images from the lens even at 500mm but better up to 400mm obviously using a
    tripod but you need good lighting.

Thanks again

Trev_B
    14 Apr 2013 - 2:46 PM

There is no gain in switching to DX mode with an FX lens it is there for when using a DX lens and will result in a 6mp image. Glad to hear that you are happy with this lens, my lens of choice is a Nikkor AFS 30mm f4 with a 1.4 teleconverter ... it works wellSmile

Trev

Robert_Malcolm
    25 Aug 2013 - 10:51 PM

Your option of DX will use the centre of the sensor (and therefore only the centre segment of the lens, which will be sharper than the edges of the lens, but sticking with FX and cropping the image will produce the same effect.

As an aside, 50-500mm? What were you thinking?

Every zoom lens is a compromise of image quality and the greater the zoom range the more compromises there are. I use zooms (80-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and even an old crap-for-film corrected-by-digital 35-80 f3.5-5.6 that was in the back of a cupboard unused for 15 years before I traded in one of my F5s for digital), but none of these short interim zooms compare with primes. I'm particularly fond of the 105 f2.8 IF ED VR.

Some compromises are too big to contemplate. 50-500 is one of them, for me.

I think Sigma made this lens because they could. Having said that, I hope you're very happy with it. I'm just annoyed that people are fed marketing hype. I supposed that the next biggy will be the 20-1000 f4-8 telemonster zoom that fits neatly into your pocket.

Think big zoom range, think trade-off.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2013 - 8:20 AM

One challenge will be camera shake at the very narrow angle of view - long lens technique is critical http://www.naturephotographers.net/ejp0801-1.html
    Another issue often ignored is cropping FX by a 1.4x equivalent reduces a D700 MP to 6 MP - taking resolution and tone separation back into the early days of digital. Sad
    Another option, costing money is a DX body. A D7000 is relatively inexpensive now, gives you 16 MP instead of 6 and, providing you downsize the file to the normal D700 12 MP equivalen,t has better noise and DR.
    In many ways the D7000 is a Nikon unsung hero in that it took resolution, dynamic range and noise (except in D3/D3s) half way to the next major step up in the D800.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.