Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D700 or Nikon D3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    robert5
    robert5  1378 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Jul 2012 - 2:21 PM

I have a D700 thinking of going for a Nikon D3 would it be worth it i do a lot of sports photography
    Regards
    Bob

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jul 2012 - 2:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    20 Jul 2012 - 2:26 PM

The D3 is now very old technology. Assuming that you don't want to lash out on a new D4, then a secondhand D3s might be your answer.

I sold my D3s to buy a D800 but, if my main interest had been sports or action photography, I probably would not have done that. The only problem that is shared by the D3/D3x/D3s and D4 is the bulk and weight (imagine your D700 with a battery grip attached) which was one of several reasons I "upgraded" downwards to the D800.

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4253 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2012 - 3:15 PM

I don't think there's enough of a difference between the D700 and the D3 to be worthwhile, D3s is a maybe. Personally I wouldn't because the D700 with any decent lens is heavy enough.

Graysta
    Graysta  91131 forum posts England
    20 Jul 2012 - 5:10 PM

The D3s is the way forward for you in terms of frame rate for sports, also 2 stops better in low light than D3 or D700. I love the weight of the D3 series I put a grip on my D800 cos I considered it too light to balance the bigger lenses.
    But thats just me. Read somwhere in a mag that the D4 was the second best low light camera D3s was No1 still, saying the sensor size increased noise on the D4.

Last Modified By Graysta at 20 Jul 2012 - 5:11 PM
    User_Removed
    20 Jul 2012 - 5:48 PM

Quote: . Read somwhere in a mag that the D4 was the second best low light camera D3s was No1 still, saying the sensor size increased noise on the D4.

Sensor size of the D4 is the same as the D3s. It is higher resolution but, of course, the D800 is higher still and (up to ISO 6400) it is even less noisy than the D3s. Can't imagine that, with the newer processing engine, the D4 is noisier at realistic ISO settings.

scottishphototours

D700 has sensor cleaning that D3 doesn't, and very good it is too.

I'd get the 700 for this reason alone.

User_Removed
    20 Jul 2012 - 7:39 PM

Quote: D700 has sensor cleaning that D3 doesn't, and very good it is too.

He already has a D700

Wink

Graysta
    Graysta  91131 forum posts England
    20 Jul 2012 - 9:26 PM

Quote: the D800 is higher still and (up to ISO 6400) it is even less noisy than the D3s

I have both and the D3s is king, I also have a D3 and the D800 is as good as that but obviously resolution wins that battle.

scottishphototours

Quote: D700 has sensor cleaning that D3 doesn't, and very good it is too.

He already has a D700

Wink

Sorry. I'll get my coat on the way out...

photofrenzy
    22 Jul 2012 - 3:01 PM

D3 Wink

AussieInLondon
    25 Jul 2012 - 3:20 PM

After starting with a D60, then up to a D90, D300s, D700, I have arrived at the D4 and I am soooooo happy with it. In ALL conditions. Have the 'Holy Trinity' of Nikkor lenses [ 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm VRII ] - as well as Nikkor 60mm Micro AF-S for Macro and the 85mm AF-S for portraits etc. Just bought the 50mm 1.4 to do 'On The Fly' shots. The D4 also does a-mazing 1080p Full HD video for 30 minutes. Have had a good chance to play with the D4 in all weather and all lighting conditions and find it blindingly fast to react to any situation I have put it in.

And no, I do not work, nor am sponsored by Nikon. Wink

theorderingone
    25 Jul 2012 - 6:40 PM

Or you could pick up an MB-D10 grip and an EN-EL4 battery & charger (with the BL-3 battery cover). That'll give you 8fps on the D700 and save you a few quid along the way.

I believe they used to do all the parts as a kit, but I can't seem to find it with a quick google.

thewilliam
    25 Jul 2012 - 7:06 PM

You'll discover the great advantage of the D3 series over the D700 when you drop your camera.

Nikon "professional" cameras are designed to survive the rough and tumble of life with a press photographer. That's why they're bigger, heavier and cost more but last a lot longer. Only you can decide whether this is something you really need.

robert5
    robert5  1378 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jul 2012 - 7:10 PM

Hello All
    I have taken the big step and went for the D3 with just 7250 shutter counts on it iwould like to thank every one for the input.
    Bob

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.