Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D7000 - D300s lenses

johnmac e2
4 91
6 Aug 2011 10:20PM
You're right Newmanp the D300s felt better than 7000 although I need to try them out again. It will be a really expensive mistake to buy the wrong one although there both good cameras.

Everyones advice is much appreciated.

johnmac

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2011 7:48PM
i honestly dont think either choice would be a bad one and definately not a mistake. may be price could be a leader and id expect the d300s price to start falling soon if there is a chance of a new model. i heard a buzz that some new nikons are about to be launched but that just may be gossip
Phil
11 Aug 2011 8:42AM

Quote: I think I'll go back to Jessops sort the salesman out and ask him which lenses won't work with the 300s then grab another salesman and ask him/her the same question. I like the 300s but the advice I'm getting is go far the more newer 7000.

Don't grab another salesman.
If they have either camera on display ask to see the instruction book - page 343 for the D300s or page 271 for the D7000 Wink
As an owner of the D3s, the D300s and for 6 months the D7000 - it depends what you want.
The D300s has a bigger buffer, better fps etc - but only in 12 bit colour.
The D7000 writes the higher quality 14 bit colour images faster than the D300s (which is pedestrian in 14 bit), records more detail, has 100 ISO as base, has greater dynamic range, has better noise performance and much better high ISO resolution and dynamic range.
The D7000 AF is almost as good as the D300s.
I find the build quality of the D7000 extremely good - as distinct from extremely good for the money.
If you want a big buffer and the highest fps the D300s fits the bill. If you want the best image quality the D7000 fits the bill. If you want both wait for the D300s replacement.
11 Aug 2011 8:53AM
Lens compatibility is definitely the same for both.

D7000 is later technology so will have better high ISO performance etc. but the main difference between them will be in size and handling.

As someone has already said, both models are good cameras - you need to decide what factors are important to you (e.g. do you want a smaller, lighter camera?) and compare the two cameras to decide which will better suit you.

Andy
johnmac e2
4 91
11 Aug 2011 10:00PM
Thanks all, your comments have been really useful and have help make my mind up. The 7000 ticks all the boxes for my needs and the cost is better. I priced a 7000 up today 784 body only including delivery. This is what this forum all about getting sound advice.

Thanks again all
13 Aug 2011 9:22PM

Quote:the technology is not so much better on the 7000 and the build quality doesnt compare.

Having used a D7000 alongside a D300s for 6 months my experience is
1/ the D7000 is definitely better for resolution, noise, writing higher quality 14 bit images and video.
2/ I find the D7000 body equally as tough as the D300s. I presumed it would not be, but after 6 months use I know just how tough the D7000 is.
19 Aug 2011 3:58PM

Quote:Jessops have a requirement that all staff are trained to be rude, unhelpful and ill-informed.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case now, where they try & bluff their way though product or photographic knowledge, though to be fair they were'nt rude just very ill informed & severly lacking in any product knowledge.

Mike
Eastlands e2
4 687 3 Northern Ireland
19 Aug 2011 4:45PM
Quote: Unfortunately that seems to be the case now, where they try & bluff their way though product or photographic knowledge, though to be fair they were'nt rude just very ill informed & severly lacking in any product knowledge.

Probably would tend to agree, they just come across as rude when they are trying to baffle customers to make up for their lack of knowledge. That said there is always the exception, I have been known to wait 15-20 minutes in my local Jessops until one particular member of staff is available as he has many years of experience and is always willing to share that knowledge in a unbiased way.
19 Aug 2011 7:18PM
I went to Jessops to buy a Canon 550d a few months back. However, the sales chap was desperate for me to buy a Sony alpha something or other and was giving me the full sales patter. I presume he was on some kind of commission. Apparently the Sony camera is FAR superior to Canon as it has IS built into the body!!

I ended up coming away with the Nikon D5000 because it felt good in my hands Tongue

Shame i'm no good with it in my hands mind Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.