Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D7000 & SB800 SPEEDLIGHT

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

su671
su671  432 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Jan 2012 - 7:22 PM

hello everyone, could someone who owns a D7000 and a SB800, please do me a favour? Everytime i use the flash on my camera hotshoe, it shoes up in the viewfinder as under expossed by 2 or 3 stops, what i mean is on the right hand side of the view finder at the bottom is your exposer metre and mine is always showing to the RIGHT, its driving me MAD and when i view the Histrogram is always clipping to the LEFT "under expossed", it never did this with my D80.

if you live in or around Manchester and you know a lot about the D7000 and SB800 combinaion "Amature or Pro" i am willing to meet up and PAY for your time.

i am a seasoned Photographer and have been using SLRs since my Zenith E, going throu Om1, Om2, and on and on, so its not like i dont understand Photography, but this is driving me Bonkers and any help would be GREAT and like i said if someone wants to earn a few i would be willing to pay.

I have to say thou, that Flash Photography has always confused me and i seem to leave it set to Auto TTL ect ect.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2012 - 7:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2012 - 8:30 PM

Could it be that you have the camera set to Commander mode, rather than TTL? Presumably, that would cause the flash to think it is triggering other flashes and therefore under-expose the scene?

su671
23 Jan 2012 - 9:13 PM

hi Stuart, do you mean Commander mode in the camera flash setting?

su671
23 Jan 2012 - 9:17 PM

hi Stuart. just checked and its TTL :-(

EddieAC
EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2012 - 10:04 PM

Have you accidentally set some negative flash value compensation when trying to change a flash mode on the camera? I am always doing the reverse and changing the flash mode when modifying the flash compensation. It just depends on wether you are using the main or sub command dial. I am guessing that any negative flash compensation set on the camera will work in tandem with the flashgun too.

Also the D7000 manual says that normal exposure compensation on the camera will affect both the exposure for the main subject and the background.

Do you still have your D80? You can test the flash with that camera just to check and eliminate the possibility that it is a setting on the flashgun.

Last Modified By EddieAC at 23 Jan 2012 - 10:46 PM
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 - 6:40 AM

As you are shooting from the hot shoe commander mode is not the issue.
As you have been a photographer for years shooting at a greater range than the flash power is unlikely to be the issue.
The flash should ideally be in TTL-bl outdoors in bright light or TTL indoors, with no minus flash compensation showing on the flash LED or (depending on the body) dialed in on the camera.
You select the flash method using the flash mode button - but the camera has to be switched on to display TTL-bl on the flash.
Then with the camera in matrix the flash should indicate minimum and maximum shooting range. If you shoot within these distances you should get good flash exposures.

su671
24 Jan 2012 - 7:02 AM

Hi Eddie & Len, thanks for your Ans, NO i dont have my D80, so cant go down the route, as for the other options, i will have a look at them tonight, had the camera in bed with me last night reading the manual and trying most things "the wife was not happy", and seeing as thje camera is on the bedside table, id best not go and get it just yet lol. will post on here tonight if there is any joy,, Thanks again Derek

su671
24 Jan 2012 - 7:50 PM

i checked every setting on the camera and still the same thing is happening,, what i did notice thou, was with the flash on or off the camera, the exposure setting along the bottom acted the same, for example, i put the mode onto M mode and with the flash on the hot shoe, i had to dial in a reading of 1 secound at F5.6 and with the flash off the hot shoe it was the same expsoure reading.

should i just ignore the exposer reading at the bottom right hand side of my view finder and just use common sense, everything works, the pictures clip a little to the right on the histrogram, but if i change the iso "Why did it change from ASA", thats for another time lol,, like i said if i change the iso from 100 to 400 on the camera, the SB800 sees this, so there cant be a problem there.

If anyone out there is ever doing a class about SB800 and Nikon Cameras "preff D7000", please get in touch with me.

thanks to everyone who tried to help

Derek from Manchester

Elwood
Elwood  9 England
24 Jan 2012 - 8:36 PM

Hi Derek,

When I read this I checked with my kit (the same combo) and found that with the flash mounted on the body and turned on the exposure meter shows up as under exposed like you describe. I am not getting under exposed pictures when the flash fires, so I think you can safely ignore the exposure meter.

Without seeing all of the settings it is hard to say why you are getting darker pictures. Is it worth posting a picture with all of the EXIF data here to see if someone can spot something?

What are pics like with the built in flash?

Jon

su671
24 Jan 2012 - 9:06 PM

TThe photos with the built in flash are very similar, the photos are not so dark you can't use them, you just have to twek them in photoshop. it might be me taking yo much notice of the histrogram. i think it might be worth me taking a few photos and posting them on here. how does your histrogram look after a photo taken i P mode at say 6 feet away. mine seems to shoot at 60s @ F4

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 - 9:30 PM

Quote: Hi Derek,

When I read this I checked with my kit (the same combo) and found that with the flash mounted on the body and turned on the exposure meter shows up as under exposed like you describe.

What the meter is telling you when this happens is the flash distance and aperture will give you a correct flash exposure, but there is not enough ambient light to avoid getting a dark background.
If you can open up the aperture or reduce the flash to subject distance the amount of ambient light exposure indications reduces - eventually to nil.
Edit - you can also slow down the sync speed to below the usual default 1/60th second to allow more ambient light through the lens. However this increases the chance doubledoule exposure caused by either possible subject movement or camera shake.
I use this technique on a tripod for some fungi photos against cluttered backgrounds - sometimes with sync speed as slow as 1/8th. The basic idea is to tell the camera to under exposure which darkens the background, and the flash to over exposure by a similar amount to correctly expose the fungus - relying on fungi not moving and the tripod preventing camera shake during the long exposure.
HOWEVER if you try this remember to reset the sync speed to n1/60 or faster Wink

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 24 Jan 2012 - 9:38 PM
Elwood
Elwood  9 England
24 Jan 2012 - 9:34 PM

Mine shoots at 1/60s @ f4 with the built in flash and f5.6 with the SB800 at ISO 320. The histogram has a nice peak somewhere near the middle. Reviewing the picture on the LCD it appears to be correctly exposed.

Jon

su671
24 Jan 2012 - 9:53 PM

TThe photos with the built in flash are very similar, the photos are not so dark you can't use them, you just have to twek them in photoshop. it might be me taking yo much notice of the histrogram. i think it might be worth me taking a few photos and posting them on here. how does your histrogram look after a photo taken i P mode at say 6 feet away. mine seems to shoot at 60s @ F4

su671
24 Jan 2012 - 10:05 PM

i have a nice peak in the middle But tapers of to the right. its what i see in the viewfinder that's driving me MAD because this is what my eye is seeing as i take through shot. I need to take a series of shots & just sit & look at them. i will let you know how it goes. FLASH IS NOT MY STRONG POINT!!! I will have to take more photos and see how it goes. thanks again to everyone for your help.

Lenshepard, i sort of understand about making the background darker & changing my sync speed. i should just practice more, get a setting important happy with & stick to it. Things where harder when everything was Manual "Zenith E", but at least when things where Manual you used your brain more and seemed to take better photos Smile

dballest
26 Jan 2014 - 4:03 PM

su671, Did you get your issue resolved? I have the same thing happening to 1 of my sb-800. My other sb-800 is working fine on my D7000. Both have the same readings/settings, both looks like it's firing but one does not illuminate the scene (severely underexposed). Even if you do A priority on the camera with a high ISO 1600, same underexposed photo.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.