Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D7000

24 Aug 2013 8:48AM

Quote:I always open raws using Lightrom too.

Opening in Lightroom disables most camera settings.
Setting no camera settings is useful if you intend to do significant post processing, accepting when the file is first opened it will look relatively flat, may need adjustment to the histogram, the colour balance, and will look relatively unsharp when viewed on a monitor.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
24 Aug 2013 9:54AM

Quote:....
Opening in Lightroom disables most camera settings.

True. But it also applies Lightroom's own default settings or, alternatively, any custom import settings that you have set. Unless you deliberately change the settings to give a "flat" portrayal of the Raw file image, then Lightroom does apply some standard enhancements.

I find that for most reasonably correctly exposed images, the Lightroom defaults give me a good starting point for assessment and possible further adjustments. The important thing, from my viewpoint, is that I am seeing the picture, assessing it and making any further adjustments on a large properly calibrated computer monitor rather than on a teeny-weeny camera LCD screen.
seahawk e2
7 616 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 10:30AM
I use a D7000 and LR too. I agree that RAW files straight out of the camera tend to be a bit flat and soft but with lots of detail.
The simplest way round this is to make the minimum adjustments in LR (sharpening and saturation) for a NEF file that could apply to all photos of landscapes and save them as a preset in LR's develop module. Make a corresponding preset for portraits. Set up the import prefs to apply either preset automatically upon future imports. Then make further adjustments as desired. This allows you to retain control over the process.

I agree that NX2 will take account of in-camera settings but I'm not fond of the program in most other respects.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.