Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon D7000 and Lightroom 4 compatibility?

kikichops 2 1
20 Nov 2012 12:01PM
Is there anyone who can help me with a question I'm sure has been covered a hundred times. I have just bought a D7000 and i'm struggling to open it in Lightroom 4. I managed to convert my pictures from RAW to JPEG using the Nikon software provided but it kinda defeats the point of shooting RAW. does anyone know the specific plug in I need to download so as to open it in lightroom 4? Thank You.
Kieron

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 12:16PM
You say 'struggling' to open the pictures, does this mean you can't access them at all, or it is erratic?
Are you importing straight from the camera (linking the camera to the computer with a USB cable) or are you putting the card into a card reader? I have read sometimes that people have problems if they attach their camera with a cable and import them that way. Personally, I have always used a card reader: it is quicker to transfer them and in the explorer I can easily see how many images there are.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Nov 2012 12:25PM
Lightroom should read your files. It's been compatible with the D7000 since version 3.3. Just out of interest have you the latest version It's now 4.2. Might be worth downloading and upgrading to see if that fixes things.
And, as Mike says, it's also worth trying different route to import. I have a D200 that cannot be read from card reader but works direct from usb cable.
MacroMeister 2 62 4 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 1:49PM
I don't know about LR as I use CS6. But I download using Adobe Bridge (do you have that?) Then in Bridge I can click on a RAW thumb and it loads CS6 and goes into RAW edit mode using V4.2. I also have the Adobe DNG convertor installed (get it free from Adobe) which converts the files to DNG format as it downloads them. Saves 20% disc storage space for the files. It also gets around the problem of new cameras not being compatible with older versions of RAW edit.

Do you have Bridge?
kikichops 2 1
20 Nov 2012 3:34PM
Thank you so much for your swift replies. I have been converting them using a card reader but will try the cable. I also have Bridge and will give that a shot.
I have also been unable to open them using CS5 at home but oddly they all opened at work both in CS5 and Lightroom 3. The version of Lightroom I have at home is 4.2 is the latest I upgraded a few weeks ago.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 3:41PM
If they open at work but not at home then I would suggest de-installing and re-installing Lightroom and CS5 - do so one at a time so you know it works without possible interference from the other. It may just be a glitch from the way it has loaded up.
My steps would be:
de-install CS5 / LR
attach a card reader and see if you can see the image lists on the card using explorer. if you have shot raw+jpeg can you see the jpeg pictures
install CS5
can you see them in explorer and CS5
install LR and add the upgrade to 4.2
can you see them in explorer and LR

Then try to import them
ChrisV 8 875 26 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 4:08PM
I take it you're using a PC? Macs have the RAW file reader built into the Finder [that's at root level in terms of the UI].

As other have said it sounds like a glitch in the version you have at home - have you tried resetting your preferences? It could be that would fix it without having to do a complete uninstall/reinstall.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
20 Nov 2012 4:34PM
I usually import my raw files directly via LR (4.2)'s `import'. LR will normally find any new card in the reader. I had a problem a few days ago when it wouldn't complete the import...I resolved it by re-booting the PC.
20 Nov 2012 4:58PM
Have you read this? You need the latest version of Lightroom (3.6) ADOBE FORUM LIGHTROOM
20 Nov 2012 5:02PM

Quote:The version of Lightroom I have at home is 4.2 is the latest I upgraded a few weeks ago.

I think you mean the latest version of the RAW edit don't you. In the link I posted above the latest version of LR is 3.6. This one
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 5:18PM

Quote:The version of Lightroom I have at home is 4.2 is the latest I upgraded a few weeks ago.
I think you mean the latest version of the RAW edit don't you. In the link I posted above the latest version of LR is 3.6. This one

Nope the latest is 4.2:

66-capture.jpg

Download From here
20 Nov 2012 5:56PM

Quote:

Nope the latest is 4.2:

Download From here

Sorry, my mistake. I'm having a bad week this week. Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.