Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D7000 and Lightroom 4 compatibility?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kikichops
    kikichops  1
    20 Nov 2012 - 12:01 PM

Is there anyone who can help me with a question I'm sure has been covered a hundred times. I have just bought a D7000 and i'm struggling to open it in Lightroom 4. I managed to convert my pictures from RAW to JPEG using the Nikon software provided but it kinda defeats the point of shooting RAW. does anyone know the specific plug in I need to download so as to open it in lightroom 4? Thank You.
    Kieron

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Nov 2012 - 12:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 12:16 PM

You say 'struggling' to open the pictures, does this mean you can't access them at all, or it is erratic?
    Are you importing straight from the camera (linking the camera to the computer with a USB cable) or are you putting the card into a card reader? I have read sometimes that people have problems if they attach their camera with a cable and import them that way. Personally, I have always used a card reader: it is quicker to transfer them and in the explorer I can easily see how many images there are.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 12:25 PM

Lightroom should read your files. It's been compatible with the D7000 since version 3.3. Just out of interest have you the latest version It's now 4.2. Might be worth downloading and upgrading to see if that fixes things.
    And, as Mike says, it's also worth trying different route to import. I have a D200 that cannot be read from card reader but works direct from usb cable.

Last Modified By Pete at 20 Nov 2012 - 12:27 PM
    MacroMeister
    20 Nov 2012 - 1:49 PM

I don't know about LR as I use CS6. But I download using Adobe Bridge (do you have that?) Then in Bridge I can click on a RAW thumb and it loads CS6 and goes into RAW edit mode using V4.2. I also have the Adobe DNG convertor installed (get it free from Adobe) which converts the files to DNG format as it downloads them. Saves 20% disc storage space for the files. It also gets around the problem of new cameras not being compatible with older versions of RAW edit.

Do you have Bridge?

kikichops
    kikichops  1
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:34 PM

Thank you so much for your swift replies. I have been converting them using a card reader but will try the cable. I also have Bridge and will give that a shot.
    I have also been unable to open them using CS5 at home but oddly they all opened at work both in CS5 and Lightroom 3. The version of Lightroom I have at home is 4.2 is the latest I upgraded a few weeks ago.

mikehit
    mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:41 PM

If they open at work but not at home then I would suggest de-installing and re-installing Lightroom and CS5 - do so one at a time so you know it works without possible interference from the other. It may just be a glitch from the way it has loaded up.
    My steps would be:
    de-install CS5 / LR
    attach a card reader and see if you can see the image lists on the card using explorer. if you have shot raw+jpeg can you see the jpeg pictures
    install CS5
    can you see them in explorer and CS5
    install LR and add the upgrade to 4.2
    can you see them in explorer and LR

Then try to import them

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 4:08 PM

I take it you're using a PC? Macs have the RAW file reader built into the Finder [that's at root level in terms of the UI].

As other have said it sounds like a glitch in the version you have at home - have you tried resetting your preferences? It could be that would fix it without having to do a complete uninstall/reinstall.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104004 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 4:34 PM

I usually import my raw files directly via LR (4.2)'s `import'. LR will normally find any new card in the reader. I had a problem a few days ago when it wouldn't complete the import...I resolved it by re-booting the PC.

MacroMeister
    20 Nov 2012 - 4:58 PM

Have you read this? You need the latest version of Lightroom (3.6) ADOBE FORUM LIGHTROOM

MacroMeister
    20 Nov 2012 - 5:02 PM

Quote: The version of Lightroom I have at home is 4.2 is the latest I upgraded a few weeks ago.

I think you mean the latest version of the RAW edit don't you. In the link I posted above the latest version of LR is 3.6. This one

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 20 Nov 2012 - 5:04 PM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014066 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 5:18 PM

Quote: The version of Lightroom I have at home is 4.2 is the latest I upgraded a few weeks ago.
    I think you mean the latest version of the RAW edit don't you. In the link I posted above the latest version of LR is 3.6. This one

Nope the latest is 4.2:

66-capture.jpg

Download From here

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 20 Nov 2012 - 5:19 PM
    MacroMeister
    20 Nov 2012 - 5:56 PM

Quote:

Nope the latest is 4.2:

Download From here

Sorry, my mistake. I'm having a bad week this week. Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.