Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D70s Worthwhile buy or not?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    diver pete
    diver pete  1071 forum posts New Zealand1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2007 - 11:51 PM

I am just about to take the plunge and invest in my first digital SLR. I have been using a Nikon N70 until now . I have been looking at second hand Nikon D70's that seem to be in my price range and before I decide to buy would like to ask a few questions.
    At the moment I scan slides using a Canoscan 2700 which produces files around the 24Mb range. Does a 6 megapixel digital really compare in quality? I would like to think that some of the images I shoot with the digital will be submitted to photolibraries and so the quality/file size is an issue.
    I have a couple of nice lenses that I use with my N70. A 20mm, 60mm Micro and a 28-70mm zoom. Will these lenses function correctly on the D70? I assume the mount is the same but what about metering etc?
    There seem to be an awful lot of D70's on the market at the moment. Is this a testiment to the D70 being a popular and worthwhile camera or just one that has been seriously outdated by the D40 and D80.
    Is the D70 a worthwhile buy, or is it worth waiting and buying a D200 or a D80.
    I am not really worried about having a camera with all the bells and whistles, something that will last a while, take a decent piccie and not make me wish I had bought a different model is all I am looking for. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Sep 2007 - 11:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2007 - 12:10 AM

Pete I have an equally aged 6mp camera, though it is the Canon 300D. At the time many thought they were similar in terms of image quality, with the Nikon having better controls and features and the Canon having better high ISO noise. So my experience if it helps.

6mp is very comparable to what you get with 35mm film. I have had slides made from digital images and if I say so myself they can work very well. If you scan to print on an inkjet then I think the dSLR has an advantage, especially if you use negative film, but digital B/W is a trick area where many claim you cannot get the correct look for digital. I have days when I agree with them.

The D70 was popular but new cameras have come along. The D80 is the logical update to it, just about everything improved. The D200 adds a big bit of robustness to the picture plus good frame rates and controls.

Would I buy one, well it depends. If the price is low and you know the history then yes. But they are getting on in terms of age and many will have had a lot of use. So probably not. I guess with the D80/D200 price drops a lot of people are upgrading. It could be that you are seeing.

Another factor apart from mechanical age is how the sensor has aged. I wonder what the life of them is. Silicon does degrade with time and I would wonder if it does not get more and more dead cells.

I have been testing my 6mp camera against the latest 10mp camera from Canon. at ISO 100 the difference is small, get to ISO800 or higher and the difference is big.

If it had to be Nikon, the D200 would be my pick in your situation.

Snapper
    Snapper  93766 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2007 - 12:25 AM

It's a hard question Pete, since few here will know the NZ market and what things cost. You can get a refurbished D70s here in the UK from Cameraworld for £400 including the 18-70 lens with a guarantee, but that is only £100 less than a brand new D80 body. The other factor (in the UK) is the number of big suppliers who will give you 6 months or more of interest-free credit, so the D80 would be even more attractive then.

costas
    costas e2 Member 7costas vcard Greece2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2007 - 12:28 AM

How about D40x ?

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2007 - 12:44 AM

Just to add to Johns comment.....The D70s will do what you want, I still have my D70 (not S ) and it's heading on for 4 years old, And still take great photographs.......Smile The D70s had a few minor tweaks, Nothing major and is therefore basically the same as the D70 in most respects.

Will your current lens work on a D70s....YES all of them will work just fine.....I'm not familiar with the 20mm, But the 60mm Macro is a splendid lens.....And still quite sought after and in production....the 28 - 70 if it's the one I'm thinking of is an OK lens......Smile

HOWEVER also as John has said....The D70s you mention is 2nd hand......If the source is 100% reliable and it's a good low mileage model, AND the price is right.....Could be a good bet.....But if it does not fit this criteria......You may not be so lucky.....Sad

Sure the D200 is a great camera, It's the one I use most of the time these days, as well as my older D70.......But the D200 is going to be a lot more money than a used D70s......Even a 2nd hand D200 will make more money tha a new D80.

If you where not restricted to a Nikon DSLR.....I would strongly advise you check out the Pentax K10D......Your talking a bang up to date camera, 10 mega pixies.....Some quite serious spec.....Will do all you want and then some......AND it's practically being given away at the moment, I mean brand new and silly prices, For a camera of this specification......Smile

But your looking for a Nikon....Sad

MMmmmm Could be a time for a change!

I'd probably consider it myself, If I did not already have 3 Nikon Film SLR's, 2 Nikon DSLR's, and 10 or so Nikon lens......Smile

diver pete
    diver pete  1071 forum posts New Zealand1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Sep 2007 - 2:58 AM

Thanks for your thoughts guys, they have been very helpful.
    The cost of the D70s with the 18 - 70mm lens is around three hundred sterling. The D200 is about double that and realistically out of my proce range. The D80 is about 550 sterling here. All of these prices are from an auction site similar to ebay. I could afford the D70 but would have to do a lot of fast talking to the Missus to justify the D80. Although it being a new camera and over ten megapixels might make that worth while.
    The reason to stick with Nikon was to utilise the lenses I already have although I am not a confirmed Nikon lover. My second camera is a Canon which has some pro's and cons over the Nikon.
    Thanks again for your thoughts!

KGB4
    KGB4  1242 forum posts United States
    4 Oct 2007 - 2:22 AM

Quote: Just to add to Johns comment.....The D70s will do what you want, I still have my D70 (not S ) and it's heading on for 4 years old, And still take great photographs....... The D70s had a few minor tweaks, Nothing major and is therefore basically the same as the D70 in most respects.

Will your current lens work on a D70s....YES all of them will work just fine.....I'm not familiar with the 20mm, But the 60mm Macro is a splendid lens.....And still quite sought after and in production....the 28 - 70 if it's the one I'm thinking of is an OK lens......

HOWEVER also as John has said....The D70s you mention is 2nd hand......If the source is 100% reliable and it's a good low mileage model, AND the price is right.....Could be a good bet.....But if it does not fit this criteria......You may not be so lucky.....

Sure the D200 is a great camera, It's the one I use most of the time these days, as well as my older D70.......But the D200 is going to be a lot more money than a used D70s......Even a 2nd hand D200 will make more money tha a new D80.

If you where not restricted to a Nikon DSLR.....I would strongly advise you check out the Pentax K10D......Your talking a bang up to date camera, 10 mega pixies.....Some quite serious spec.....Will do all you want and then some......AND it's practically being given away at the moment, I mean brand new and silly prices, For a camera of this specification......

But your looking for a Nikon....

MMmmmm Could be a time for a change!

I'd probably consider it myself, If I did not already have 3 Nikon Film SLR's, 2 Nikon DSLR's, and 10 or so Nikon lens......

as some one that has used a D70 for photoj work it is a GOOD camera i liked it a lot and have seen some good photos shot with it. in fact a big news story hear in the US was shot with one recntly it was the 2 news hellocopters wrected in Arizona the photoj shot the crash photos with a D70.

but i am a Pentax guy i would also look at the K100D the BIG advantage it has is that it has ani-shake built in to the body that is soooooo nice and it is the same price or cheaper there is not a lot difference in the photos between the 2. also the K100D hase a good asa 3200.

BUT i do recmend that if you have Nikon lenes go with Nikon because you would have to buy all new ones.

Last Modified By KGB4 at 4 Oct 2007 - 2:24 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.