Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D80 ERR message

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gozoman
    17 Nov 2013 - 1:33 AM

I have just returned from holiday and to put it mildly I'm feeling pretty disgusted with what I thought was a good camera when I bought it. The camera in question is a Nikon D80 fitted with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens. Practically every other photo I took whilst on holiday wasn't actually taken at all and Err appeared in the top screen. Now I'm lucky if it takes any photos at all as Err seems to appear every time I press the shutter release. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the camera body and lens which had no effect. I have also pressed the reset button on the camera body several times which had no effect other than having to reset the date and clock. I was told to upgrade the firmware but when I checked the Nikon website I found that they haven't upgraded the firmware since I did it last and I have the latest version 1.1.

This camera has seen very little use since I bought it and sometimes only gets used on holiday as I tend to rely on my iPhone 5 or compact camera for everyday shots.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and can it be fixed without having to send it back to Nikon and pay through the nose for the privilege. I've already had to do this when the whole camera locked up and wouldn't do anything around January 2012. That little episode cost me 205.

To be honest I'm beginning to lose any faith I ever put in Nikon and as I lost my job a couple of years back I can't afford to keep getting the stupid thing repaired. My thoughts at the moment if I have to get it repaired again is to sell it immediately afterwards and buy a reliable camera to replace it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Nov 2013 - 1:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhol2
    rhol2 e2 Member 3291 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2013 - 7:28 AM

It may not be televant to this case, but ! have had this error message on the top screenof a D100 when the attached lens was not locked at minimum aperture.

As it is used infrequently, this might have been overlooked.
    It's worth checking this setting if not already done.

akh
    akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2013 - 9:53 AM

My daughter recently had a similar problem with her D200. After investigation we put it down to a sticking aperture control lever which required it to be sent back to Nikon and an expensive repair bill.
    Tony

Graysta
    Graysta  91134 forum posts England
    17 Nov 2013 - 9:56 AM

I think if you read the manual it will give you a list of possibles then just eliminate each one.
    As above is quite a common one.

nikonphotographer

It could well be the Aperture Control Unit, seems a common problem on the D80

Gozoman
    17 Nov 2013 - 6:59 PM

To be honest all I've heard since I bought this camera is that one thing or another is a common problem on the D80! If it's so common and there are so many common problems why don't Nikon get off their butts and fix the damn things?

Graysta I went through all the possibles before posting here, but I doubt if they are going to list an easy solution to a problem if they can get you to fork out 200 so that they can fix it for you. I've decided that oncve it's working again I will be selling it and buying something else, probably a Cannon which was what I was advised to buy in the first place!

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111543 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2013 - 7:45 PM

Quote: To be honest all I've heard since I bought this camera is that one thing or another is a common problem on the D80! If it's so common and there are so many common problems why don't Nikon get off their butts and fix the damn things?

Graysta I went through all the possibles before posting here, but I doubt if they are going to list an easy solution to a problem if they can get you to fork out 200 so that they can fix it for you. I've decided that oncve it's working again I will be selling it and buying something else, probably a Cannon which was what I was advised to buy in the first place!

Yup, you can't go wrong with a Canon Tongue

Graham-Mead
    17 Nov 2013 - 8:23 PM

I find this a bit strange. I have had a D80 for a number years and there has never been a problem with it, its just as good now as when I bought it.

Gozoman
    17 Nov 2013 - 8:27 PM

I have a 14 year old car which is as good as the day I bought it. But some folk end up with a lemon.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2013 - 8:51 PM

Quote: Yup, you can't go wrong with a Canon

LOLGrin Or anything else for that matter, If you start researching model/brand specific camera problems, You will discover that Nikon are no worse than any other manufacturer and better than many.

Quote: I have a 14 year old car which is as good as the day I bought it. But some folk end up with a lemon.

That's almost new compared to our 32 year old Ford Fiesta, Or our 26 year old Ford Sierra, Or our 29 year old BMW, The 2 Fords always getting a roasting from the motoring public, Yet our two samples have outlasted all the Japanese models produced at the same time, The BMW is a whole different thing.

I know several people who own and still use D80's, No problems so far, I own a few Nikon cameras ( Film Included ) they all work well and have done so since new, One of them is a D70 predating the D80 by several years.

So what does that prove, Nothing really, But you might just be a tad unlucky with your particular sample D80.

For servicing Nikon is way cheaper in my experience, Than many of the non OEM companies, Get them to fix it, Then move the lemon on via eBay.

Quote: I found that they haven't upgraded the firmware since I did it last and I have the latest version 1.1.

Firmware version 1.11 was the last release for the D80.

Last Modified By cameracat at 17 Nov 2013 - 8:55 PM
    Gozoman
    17 Nov 2013 - 8:59 PM

Sorry that's what I meant and is the version I have. Is it possible to re-flash with the same version?

kojak
    kojak e2 Member 1kojak vcard United Kingdom
    17 Nov 2013 - 11:25 PM

I used to have a problem with my old D80. Not sure it was a ERR message or not but it was the lens that wasnt quite located correctly on the camera. The lens was the 18-135 which was a plastic mount. It would move slightly off the contacts.

Do a Google search may help...........you come across this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i49P91sAixY

YIKES

Last Modified By kojak at 17 Nov 2013 - 11:28 PM
    Gozoman
    17 Nov 2013 - 11:56 PM

I watched parts one and two but apart from the fact that the camera seemed to be stripped down to the last screw and then put back together I have no idea what was done to fix the problem if in fact the problem was fixed after all that. I think such a drastic option would come just before hitting it with a hammer.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.