Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon D80 sensor clean

albinoni 6 6 1 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 6:16PM
Hi, does anyone know how to clean the camera sensor or is it best to take it into a camera shop?
It's only a couple of mths old and i put the lens straight on and haven't removed it since - until today, to check why i get a couple of little round dots on each shot - the lens was clean so i can only think it is the sensor!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 May 2008 6:49PM
Unless your very confident, And have the right tools, Get it done at a local camera shop, Many do a while you wait service these days.....!

However as your camera is fairly new, The chances are the dust spots may blow of with something like a " Rocket Air Blower " The process is simple enough, You just follow the instruction in your manual to raise the mirror/shutter for cleaning, Then a couple of quick blows, And release the mirror/shutter ( usually by just turning the camera off )......!

What ever you do make sure you do not make physical contact with the Sensor......Or things can get expensive....Smile

OR get your self one of these Visible Dust Hurricane Blower Available from the EPZ shop...!

Having said all that, Don't get to paranoid about it, I have a 4 + year old D70, And a 2 + year old D200.....Apart from an occasional blow with a Rocket Air, The sensors in these cameras have never been cleaned Or tampered with, And in all honesty I do not find it a big issue.........Smile Smile Smile Worst case scenario, You can remove the odd dust spot with software....So easily anyhow......!
flyingseale 7 400 3 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 11:15PM
The biggest problem with cleaning the sensor is the fear generated by the warnings in the manual. Bite the bullet and learn how to do it yourself.
I use a rocket blower which is cheap and easy to use. Take a test shot of a sheet of paper or an emulsioned wall at f22. Lock the mirror up and blow the sensor. Take another photo then look at them on your monitor. You might need to repeat a few times, but you'll be able to see the dust move from shot to shot until you eventually have a clear sensor.
I also have a sensorklear pen. This is also cheap and very effective. You can rub the sensor with it and now I've done it a few times I've realised that you don't need to be scared. Just get in there and rub until all the dust has gone.
I also have an arctic butterfly. This is expensive compared to the other two products and, IMHO, not as good. Yes, it moves the dust, but it takes a lot more goes to remove all the dust.

Once you've learnt how to do it you'll realise how easy it is and that there is nothing to fear. The alternative is to spend 30 (a figure I've seen mentioned on EPZ somewhere) and also have the inconveniance of waiting to get it done every time you realise there's too much dust to cope with.

Mike
riggwelter 7 165 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 11:20PM
Dust Aid (Google it) works well. Easy to use and it gets rid of everything.

About 35 quid for 12 applications - much better than 35 quid for a guy in a shop to use it once while you wait.
17 May 2008 2:29PM
Thanks Guys, did the mirror lock and used a 'niceday' compressed air cleaner from work (very gently), and luckily having taken a few shots of the wall not a speck in sight!
Now i'm feeling a bit more confident i'll go buy one of the above recommendations.
Cheers
Andy
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
17 May 2008 2:49PM
Andy, be very careful about using canned air to clean your sensor.
Sometimes you get liquid coming out of the nozzle which can make a real mess of the sensor and if the pressure is high any grit blown around in the chamber can cause microscopic damage too.
Milvus 7 168 2 United Kingdom
18 May 2008 8:37PM
I had no problems cleaning my D80 sensor. It is a job that needs care but it can done fairly straightforwardly. Remember there may be a bit of an industry based around selling sensor cleaning services.

I used Eclipse cleaning fluid and some sensor swabs (can't remember the name). It's best to do searching on the forums to see what recommendations people make. I saw recently that some brands where seen to be leaving tiny fibres on the sensor.

It's not a job to rush and be sparing with the fluid. It's better to start with too little then flood the sensor. When you've finished make sure you do some test shots of white wall or clear blue sky at a narrow aperture.
19 May 2008 5:45PM
thanks Doug - I think I got lucky, but won't use the canned air again!
Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.