Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

nikon d800...file size

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    30 Jun 2012 - 6:21 PM

I offer this without opinion...cat among the pigeons time.

Ken Rockwells whats new update for 30th June 2012...Nikon D800e and I quote...
    Quote: Since the files are too big anyway, I now use the default JPG compression setting as SIZE PRIORITY instead of OPTIMIZE Quality, all BASIC JPG of course.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jun 2012 - 6:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mediaman
    mediaman  4 Scotland
    30 Jun 2012 - 7:00 PM

Assume he is talking about when using it for sports, where long bursts of "machine gunning" is required...
    Basic JPEG would allow more shots before the buffer is full. ?

redhed17
    redhed17  8639 forum posts England
    30 Jun 2012 - 7:01 PM

He's in a position to play around with settings on such an expensive camera because people keep on pushing traffic his way. :-/

If he wants to buy possibly the best DSLR camera currently available, and use it at its lowest quality setting then good luck to him.

KR (I won't even write his name so as not let his name show up in a Google search from my post) is made for the phrase 'don't believe everything you read on the internet'. He admits that he doesn't always tell the truth, and says things for to be controversial, which goes around the internet pushing traffic back to his site. Sorry, but too many people don't know that he isn't always serious, which can fool the uninformed, many of whom go to his site looking for help and information in the first place.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was also saying he was using the camera at less than the 36mp, just to get more people talking about him, and getting more people visiting his site just see if 'he said what?' for themselves.

I think he's a d**k. But he's got a family to support, and he's not actually hurting anyone, so good luck to him.

I won't be following links to his site though. :-/

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2012 - 7:33 PM

KR has been a long-time advocate of using JPEG. It's nothing new.

User_Removed
    30 Jun 2012 - 8:16 PM

Quote: Ken Rockwells whats new update for 30th June 2012...Nikon D800e

Here is a man who - through good Marketing techniques via his website - has positioned himself as a 'Guru'.

The man is a 'numpty'.

Ignore him - and use Google to it's best effect for FAR superior advice elsewhere.

Starting here on EPZ.

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Jun 2012 - 8:18 PM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2012 - 10:05 PM

The guy is a moron. Why use a Nikon D800E and use it in JPEG? You use a camera like that for one reason, quality and being able to adjust white balance etc. You don't purchase a D800E for sports photography! It's not built for that. It's built for landscape and portrait photography.

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jun 2012 - 10:29 PM

I've never seen a photograph taken by KR that could be described anything other than average. For such a self proclaimed expert photographer I would always have expected him to at least have a few images on his website that were of a decent standard. I agree with all the above comments, the guys a joker.

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    1 Jul 2012 - 10:34 AM

I would agree with a lot of the comments above but I find KR useful for debunking a lot of the supposed new features that appear in cameras and lenses, especially when he's examining the ergonomics of new cameras. Someone has to expose the crafty ways in which Nikon, Canon et al try to squeeze more money out of us especially with 'wizz-bang' features that we possibly don't need.
    As to his photographic skills, well that's a purely subjective issue.

rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    1 Jul 2012 - 10:34 AM

'Moron' .... 'numpty'.......'joker'...... d**k !!!!

Jealousy does appear to bring out the insults when KR is mentioned Smile

User_Removed
    1 Jul 2012 - 11:04 AM

One of my main reasons for being a Rockwell watcher is ability to bring out the worst in fellow photographers...name calling?...and heres me thinking we would read some opinions on the equivalent of using a Ferrari for the school run!!!!!!!

rossd
    rossd  111061 forum posts England
    1 Jul 2012 - 11:51 AM

Quote: would read some opinions on the equivalent of using a Ferrari for the school run!!

Fair comment. Leaving aside that it's KR we are talking about I would say that anybody can use their (very pricey) camera in any way they choose. I can't see it as an excuse to make libelous comments about somebody who does just that! There are many togs on this site who own top of the range cameras but produce mediocre, run of the mill (IMO) images so they are just as guilty (I should include myself in that category btw as I have a Canon 5D mk2).

Also, if you choose to use your Nikon D800 in jpeg mode but still maintain/operate an undeniably successful and profitable website, then who cares!

redhed17
    redhed17  8639 forum posts England
    1 Jul 2012 - 1:34 PM

Quote: 'Moron' .... 'numpty'.......'joker'...... d**k !!!!

Jealousy does appear to bring out the insults when KR is mentioned Smile

I'm not jealous of the man in any way whatsoever. If he was doing something I wanted to do, or aspired to do, then possibly I could be jealous, but he doesn't.

Like I said, good luck to him. Where I dislike his site is that because he has got a 'reputation', and because of his popularity, he may show up in Internet searches on certain subjects, his opinions are sometimes seen as facts by those who may not see the disclaimer about his site on the front page. And rather than using useful information to attract views on his site, he says controversial stuff, which may not be consistent from month to month. :-/

If he's buying D800's then he is obviously doing very well for himself, and I'm sure he appreciates all those point people to his site, and all his visitors. He should do, as it seems to be very lucrative. Wink lol

As for him using the his camera a basic Jpeg setting, then he can obviously do whatever he wants, but it doesn't seem wise (to me) not to use the best Jpeg setting at least, if he chooses to shoot Jpeg. I always want the highest quality file possible, just in case I take an image I want to print large, or need to edit significantly. Each to their own though. Smile

One of his opinions from the past, and pushed me towards, amongst other things, the opinion that he was a d**k, was that the RAW format is only for Landscapes btw. Not sure if his stance on that has changed. Wouldn't surprise me if it had. :-/

Last Modified By redhed17 at 1 Jul 2012 - 1:35 PM
    User_Removed
    1 Jul 2012 - 2:31 PM

Quote: One of my main reasons for being a Rockwell watcher is ability to bring out the worst in fellow photographers...name calling?...and heres me thinking we would read some opinions on the equivalent of using a Ferrari for the school run!!!!!!!

Must confess that if I had a Ferrari and if my "kids" were still at school, I would see nothing wrong with doing the school run. Although, in that situation, I hope I would have several young mistresses who would take their turns.

As for Rockwell, he is widely regarded in the photographic community in much the same way as Jimmy Hill was in the Scottish football community.

I have to agree that it is a trifle worrying when someone whose website largely purports to be factual - and may be used as such by naive beginners - confesses that he sometimes states nonsense as facts just for a joke. I wonder if someone basing a purchasing decision on such a "fact" and later discovering that it was one of his jokes, could sue him?

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6198 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2012 - 5:57 PM

"I have to agree that it is a trifle worrying when someone whose website largely purports to be factual - and may be used as such by naive beginners - confesses that he sometimes states nonsense as facts just for a joke. I wonder if someone basing a purchasing decision on such a "fact" and later discovering that it was one of his jokes, could sue him?
    [/quote]"

Exactly the reason why I described him a joker.

Its often hard to work out what is joke and what is "fact", and that's from someone who's been photographing a few years. Making this distinction would be just about impossible as a beginner (which I guess many of his readers are).

Last Modified By dandeakin at 2 Jul 2012 - 5:57 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2012 - 6:37 PM

Quote: Making this distinction would be just about impossible as a beginner (which I guess many of his readers are).

Probably. But, Like Seahwak, I used to read him to get a 'sideways view' of the camera technology - that was back in 2005 when I was a complete DSLR noob and looked on it as merely 'another opinion'. The strange thing was when I used to pose questions based on KR's site in other 'more serious' forums (before I found EPZ) most people talked about what a plonker he is and very few actually debunked what he said. From those responses I quickly realised there is an awful lot opinion out there and relatively little fact. Much like the rest of the internet, really.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.