Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D800 - First Impressions

Scottelly 2 35 United States
26 Aug 2012 2:51PM
O.K. You are making me want it even more. I think I just turned green with envy now. Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BillyGoatGruff e2
7 191 199 England
13 Sep 2012 12:39PM
Brilliant thread LF!
Incredibly informative - confirms why I want one of these beasts.
Only trouble is I've already sold both legs, one eye, one and a half lungs and a kidney to get the D300 and its little helpers Smile
There's always my wife of course.....Wink
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Oct 2012 2:52PM
Since the D800 was announced, there has been a lot of discussion (and even some people sounding worried) about whether the high resolution sensor demanded better lenses.

There is actually a good article on this subject (not relating specifically to D800) in the most recent magazine of the Royal Photographic Society that dropped through the letterbox this morning.

The scientific explanation concerns the relationship between pixel size on the sensor and the minimum circle of confusion of a particular lens at a particular aperture.

It all sounds very convincing - but probably totally irrelevant to the majority of keen amateur photographers who are finding that their D800 cameras and existing Nikkor lenses are producing a level of superb image quality they could only dream about less than a year ago.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 10:21PM
I do not think higher resolution sensors demand better lenses, in fact when you get enough resolution you can use the extra resolution to improve the image from the lens, for example removing optical aberration is easier.

Its when you try and create larger images at higher resolution than you used to that problems occur Wink
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
28 Nov 2012 9:34AM
A couple of examples of misty night shots taken hand-held at ISO 6400:

venice-2.jpg

venice-14.jpg

By the way, on my way home from Venice on Sunday I noticed that Dixons in Gatwick airport were selling the D600 at 1470 which, for a tax-paid UK price, seems to bring a decent price differential between the D600 and the D800, which they were selling at around 1950.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.