Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon D800 Image area selection problem ... :-(

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    carpster61
    carpster61  1056 forum posts
    4 Dec 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hi everybody,

I have just received my brand new Nikon D800 body with Nikon 28-300 AFS ED VR lens. Just assembled it all after taking it all out of boxes. It says that to choose the image area, you go into 'Menu' > 'Shooting Menu' > 'Image Area' > 'Choose Image Area' , then you can choose your option. I am choosing 'FX' which is the top one. When you select your choice, you confirm with 'OK' and it is suppose to select it and it is meant to appear in the viewfinder or the screen on top. No matter which Image area I choose, I press 'ok' and it just returns to the 'Shooting Menu' and nothing is displayed anywhere ... Any suggestions? The camera isn't selecting any of them .. :-(

Thanx ... Grin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Dec 2012 - 10:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:16 PM

think your nikon may be like canon 7d to select diff focus points use af button look thro view finder turn main dial on top you can select where the focus point you desire

carpster61
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hiya, thanx for that but selecting focus points isnt the problem. I am trying to select 'FX' for the Image Area, so that I am using the whole sensor. The options are FX, 1.2x, DX, or 5:4 ..... Obviously I have an FX Lens so I want to select that option, but when I hit 'ok' nothing shows up in the information display as it says it should. Wink

Walkthru
    Walkthru  5 Australia2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi Carpster,

You have done the correct procedure to get you D800 onto full FX. If you choose the 1.2 option, once you have clicked OK, you will find a small rectangular overlay in your viewfinder which is showing you the image area that has been selected. This is the same for the DX and 5:4 options, with different sized rectangular overlay being seen in your viewfinder. So if there is no overlay showing in your viewfinder, then you are in full FX mode. Smile

carpster61
    5 Dec 2012 - 7:00 AM

Thanx 'Walkthru' ... Smile It's just that when I select FX it says that 'FX' should appear in both the view finder and the info screen on top of the camera but it doesn't appear anywhere. Just noticed too that the 51 point focus points only stay within the bracket lines when you look through the view finder and that you cant go to a very large area of the screen to focus. It all seems to be central. On my D300 with my 18-200 DX, you could go virtually to the edge when looking through the viewfinder. I have a lot to learn ... Thanx again. Wink

carpster61
    5 Dec 2012 - 7:10 AM

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. I don't seem to be able to move the focus point over a very large area of the viewfinder. There is a large outer area that you can not get to. The focus point can only be moved around within the bracket lines, which is mostly in the centre of the viewfinder. Maybe this is normal but i thought there may be some setting which enables me to move the focus point around outside of these lines. ??? Smile

User_Removed
    5 Dec 2012 - 10:31 AM

You have raised an interesting conundrum. I had never read the manual in relation to image area because, frankly, I can't envisage any circumstances when I would want to use anything other than FX.

So I went and checked both my camera and the manual - can't find where it says that the FX symbol should appear in the top screen but it does say it should appear in the viewfinder. I can't see it in the viewfinder.

However it does appear in the top right corner of the main LCD if I select Lv (something that, in 9 months with the D800, I had never previously looked at).

Regarding the focus points - yes, they are all contained within that central bracketed area (just as they are on the D300 by the way) and, depending upon the focus mode you are using, you can select any of them. What you cannot do, as you have correctly observed, is move them about. The points themselves are fixed and all you can do is select those you want to use. I don't recall the D300 focus points being spread over a larger proportion of the image area than the D800.

carpster61
    5 Dec 2012 - 6:22 PM

Hiya, 'Left forum' ... I can't envisage myself ever using anything other than 'FX' either. That is why I wanted to make sure it was set to 'FX'.
    In the manual at the top of page 81 under 'Image area', it says ... "The selected option is shown in the information display" ... It even has a pic of the display with the 'FX' symbol in it. As you know it doesn't show and I assumed it was not selecting it. I have looked at the live view now and yes you are right, it is displayed in there, but only there.
    I do see that if i select 'DX' or any others, that extra lines appear in the viewfinder, showing the crop so as long as those lines aren't there I can rest assured that it has selected 'FX' ... It's just that when I go to 'Image area' screen in the menu, and it says "Choose image area", it just shows 2 dashes (- -), when it should show 'FX'. I guess its all ok though so thanx again. Smile

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62503 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    7 Dec 2012 - 8:59 AM

As already mentioned if there are no designation lines in the viewfinder the whole of what is in the screen area is being recorded, and you are in FX recording mode.
    You can focus on any part of the screen, but only in LiveView mode. LiveView AF is best regarded as fine for static subjects but as not as flexible as "normal" phase detect AF.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.